203 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 14
    Premium Member Babbalouie
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to how the winner was decided in the French Toast Tournament on the French Resistance board. It was a 3 way tie between blecherta, elmasmacho88, and I where we were all 6-1. blecherta beat me, elmasmacho88 beat blecherta, and I beat elmasmacho88. The tournament win went to elmasmacho88. How was that decided?

2. #2 / 14
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

working on looking that specific tourney up, but here's the basics: 
    http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=general:help:tournament_basics

can you post a link to the tourney? apparently i can't see tourneys that i wasn't involved in without a direct link...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Mon 29th Feb 15:03 [history]

3. #3 / 14
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/1933

You can view any tournament all the way back to the beginning if you click "Winners" on the leaderboard on the tournaments page

4. #4 / 14
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Wow - that looks like a perfect tie to me.  You each beat each other and you all won against the next player, who won against all the rest, who won against everyone else and so on down.

5. #5 / 14
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

yup, straight up tie...thus no-one was declared a winner. sorry.

this has happened only a few times, but was one of the reasons we came up with other styles than Round Robin...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

6. #6 / 14
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think the rankings should be this:

1. Babbalouie

2. elmasmacho88

3. blecherta

My reasoning is that Babbalouie is the only one to actually compete in and complete all 7 games. Elmas won 1 due to forfeiture and blecherta won 3 for the same reason. So Babbalouie has actually beaten more opponents and, in my opinion, should get the W.

7. #7 / 14
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I like AfroDaby's reasoning but I only want what is right. How was it determined that elmasmacho88 won the tournament? Was it a glitch in the system? Also, wouldn't it be good for competitiveness to have a tie-breaking procedure where there always ends up being 1 winner even if it involves a playoff or even a 1 dice roll off? Why have a tournament if there cannot be a winner?  

8. #8 / 14
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I don't think there was supposed to be a winner in this case.

9. #9 / 14
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Babbalouie wrote:

I like AfroDaby's reasoning but I only want what is right. How was it determined that elmasmacho88 won the tournament? Was it a glitch in the system? Also, wouldn't it be good for competitiveness to have a tie-breaking procedure where there always ends up being 1 winner even if it involves a playoff or even a 1 dice roll off? Why have a tournament if there cannot be a winner?  

there was not supposed to be a winner for this tourney. not sure how elma ended up with the trophy. tom will need to look at this. 

we went round and round and round (no pun intended) trying to figure out the best way to solve this eventuality.  in the end it was decided (i think) to either award no trophy, or to award them all...i can't remember and i can't seem to find the threads.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

10. #10 / 14
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

My reasoning is that Babbalouie is the only one to actually compete in and complete all 7 games. Elmas won 1 due to forfeiture and blecherta won 3 for the same reason. So Babbalouie has actually beaten more opponents and, in my opinion, should get the W.

I'd disagree with these sentiments.  This way of thinking hurts the player who plays so well that his opponents see that their loss is inevitable even before the game is over.  Though the decision has been made NOT to count forfeits towards eliminations, a game won due to forfeiture has always been seen as equivalent to a game won by elimination.  So I think this tourney should end as a pure tie, and I believe it was decided before that no trophy would be given out.

11. #11 / 14
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:

I'd disagree with these sentiments.  This way of thinking hurts the player who plays so well that his opponents see that their loss is inevitable even before the game is over.  Though the decision has been made NOT to count forfeits towards eliminations, a game won due to forfeiture has always been seen as equivalent to a game won by elimination.  So I think this tourney should end as a pure tie, and I believe it was decided before that no trophy would be given out.

I totally agree that there should be no winner or implement a tie-breaking system to determine 1 winner. My main concern is that there might be a glitch in the system that determined the trophy winner. As stated earlier weathertop was going to bring this to tom's attention.

12. #12 / 14
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

It's been fixed up - this was a pure no-winner 3 way tied tournament so I removed the incorrectly awarded medal.

13. #13 / 14
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thx tom,

Apparently there is still something wrong in the system with deciding winners. The same thing happened in another tournament only worse.

http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/1816

14. #14 / 14
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Babbalouie wrote:

Thx tom,

Apparently there is still something wrong in the system with deciding winners. The same thing happened in another tournament only worse.

http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/1816

Thanks - I've amended that tournament.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)