220 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 15
    Standard Member A-TEAM
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Why is it okay for some players to harass others freely wile others get chastised?

As for Tom... I am not allowed to complain so no need to give any advice regarding what one should do?

I can't understand who I have upset or what exactly it was i did that was so upsetting...

I don't like to surrender. I only like to play classic risk. Why is that a problem?

2. #2 / 15
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

A-TEAM wrote:

I can't understand who I have upset or what exactly it was i did that was so upsetting...

Less forum posts, more playing classic risk, No Surrender?

3. #3 / 15
    Standard Member A-TEAM
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

berickf wrote:
    A-TEAM wrote:

What does that mean. Have i spammed the forum? My op comment had nothing to do with the forum. I don't mind criticism or individuals ganging up. You see occasionally there are respectful encouraging remarks made. I can sift thru the regulars and ol' boys who do not like change or new faces and find the gems.  (i know statements like that make some of you hate me-it's okay)

However what i do not like and what i think is off putting is when the same irritating players join games where they know they are not welcomed. they mass together and target people. It is not right imho. I don't understand how they do it or why, or what it is that sets them off/on (unless it is somehow linked to my post and my comments in games??)

What is the purpose of the forum anyway if not to talk about all aspects of the site, the members, and of course the games. I get it, don't talk about admin, and the creator, because you all find that very offensive... Also some post can get deleted and pulled as if they never happened if the wrong thing is posted... (not sure the rules for that scenario, I just know it happens) But isn't the forum for comments and feedback? I am doing my best to just play and not come across as enemy number one. Also I am old school - i never heard the term troll before I was called one by a member. That should clearly tell you that i am not one... i just like risk.

You say less comments and more classic Risk. ha, if i played more classic risk i would not have time for any other thing.

4. #4 / 15
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

A-TEAM wrote:

As for Tom... I am not allowed to complain so no need to give any advice regarding what one should do?

Generally speaking, all of your posts are accusatory, inane, immature and trollish - and while I might not characterize them as upsetting, I would say that they are annoying at best.  If you think there's a conspiracy in the works, please leave the site.  We're not buying it.  Your opinions on matters of fairness, cheating and old boy networking will gain little traction in these forums until the quality of your play rises to a level that indicates you have perspicacity where the subtleties of the game-play and site mechanics are concerned.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

5. #5 / 15
    Standard Member warqueer
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

funny how this troll writes this about me, "Possibly one of the worst players i have encountered on this site. vindictive, mean spirited, vulgar, rude, and suspicious. Not sure why the likes of this type of player is allowed on wargear."

why is he targeting me?  i beat this guy in every game and now he is upset and makes false statemet :(

6. #6 / 15
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

A-TEAM wrote:

What does that mean. Have i spammed the forum?

Also some post can get deleted and pulled as if they never happened if the wrong thing is posted...(not sure the rules for that scenario, I just know it happens)

A-TEAM (and all other would-be self-perceived victims),

I can personally attest to never having modified, moved, or removed one of your posts. Your less-than subtle suggestion that your posts are being surreptitiously moderated has finally pushed me into participation in this drama.

You're welcome to share your thoughts and opinions on the forums. There aren't many hard and fast rules around here. I couldn't even point you to a list of them, if such a thing exists. So far, we haven't needed any.

To that end, I encourage you to:

1. Not make accusations of any kind that name specific individuals in the public forum. Use the report button for that.
    2. Not make general accusations or insinuations of cheating, rigging, conspiring, or other forms of unfair manipulation without presenting extremely hard proof. The rest of the community trusts the site, and there is boundless data available for anyone to present a case that they should not.
    3. Not make a new thread about a topic for which a relatively recent thread already exists.
    4. Keep topics in the proper discussion forum.

I wouldn't say you've quite crossed the line into "spamming." In this relatively quiet community, though, you are making a conspicuous amount of noise.

Since most of your conversations are about roughly the same topic, I would encourage you to consolidate your thoughts to a single thread rather than shotgunning a new thread every day with little deviation from previous thoughts.

Nothing you've said or done is 'upsetting,' so much as your behavior is simply... annoying.

In my attempts to keep the boards clear of bots, advertisers, spammers and obvious flamers, tigers (when's the last time you saw one of those post around here, eh?), malware links, and other undesirables, I've read pretty closely every post and reply in the A-TEAM saga.

I understand why you feel like you're being ganged up on in the forums. However, that's not the case, and even if it were, you are asking for it. As has already been politely stated by others, you regularly violate the first three of the above noted guidelines for courteous forum participation. Every time you repeat yourself with a slightly modified version of the same tired complaints, you encourage more replies from more people. This is why it feels like a pile-on. Rather than taking good advice to heart, you come back later with a minimally modified whine. That's also why people feel you are trolling.

I understand why you feel like the same people are intentionally picking on you in games. However, I don't think that's the case. The community is relatively small, and, just like you, there are a lot of members who don't stray very far from 'classic RISK'. In a small group with limited interests, you're going to run into the same people a lot. If there are a handful of people who play the same map as you, at the same time of day, and who are just plain better than you, you're going to lose to them a lot.

Rather than acting as though you are entitled to play public games without those people you don't want to (because you are not entitled to have people you don't like go out of their way to avoid you), you will have to change your habits to avoid them. Try some new maps. Wait until games are mostly full and only take the last seat if those people you want to avoid are not in the games.

If you were being bullied, I might have different advice. There is a fine line between good advice and 'victim blaming' when it comes to bullying. I don't feel like you're being bullied, though.

I'll summarize that avalanche of text with the same thing I tell my kids when they're arguing uphill:

Make sure you're right before you dig in on that stance. Otherwise, you'll be mistaken for just another stubborn moron.

So, there. I'm done. Can we please not have any more posts about how you feel the site and its members are treating you unfairly? Just politely lose with the rest of the quiet majority until you either get better, or accept that you're not as good as consistently beating your neighbors and nephews has lead you to believe you are.

In your Face!

7. #7 / 15
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote:
    ... tigers (when's the last time you saw one of those post around here, eh?)...

Maybe I'm old cram,  what's a tiger?

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

8. #8 / 15
    Standard Member A-TEAM
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

"I can personally attest to never having modified, moved, or removed one of your posts."

Who are you?And thanks for that.?.?

Again, i can sift through the comments. I don't feel bullied at all in the forum. The pile on is welcomed/deserved. whatever.

I don't fully agree with your comments on games and the players. and time of day playing, etc... I am not saying you are wrong, but... whetever.

As for my comments and your uphill argument... Well i am not your child. and there are many voices and opinions when it come to wisdom. I am appreciative of your taking time to clear the matter up. sift. And i recognize that many of you take my "annoying" comments to heart. I will try to be considerate of what i say.

My only thought is why are you a public site? I have been warned that I can be banned. And i likely will be... However I will not be banned for vulgarity, cheating, harassment, or anything of that matter. I will be banned because a majority in this small community and or a minority with the ability and authority to be selective choose to separate me. While I understand that i am annoying, and i understand that i make it somehow bad for many "readers" on this game site. I primarily come here to play competitive fun games. "trolling" I guess is what i am now doing by making comments about playing games, about some (not all) of the members, and about aspects of the site... If I have the definition right, it appears that it only exist as a term used by individuals within the community unwilling or annoyed to have newer "uneducated" and uniformed vocal players...    I guess that is where i fit. so be it.

I like real-time classic risk. I enjoy playing with people from around the world. I don't like to lose. I like engaging others.

Oh i have not played the board game risk in over 20 years. Just discovered online risk about a year ago.

Also, you happened to hit the nail on the head. I happen to be playing games with the same amazingly talented players who continually beat me, some are brand new to the site, some have been here for a long time. they are mostly better than me and they enjoy playing long extended drawn out pointless games (total world domination - just because - perhaps because i don't like to surrender - oh and they extend the clock in lightening round for as long as they possibly can). So, i will either get better, continue to lose or stop playing. However from time to time in the midst of only winning 10 or so games in the last 50+ by a handful of players, in just the last couple of days... i am bound to express my frustration with a comment or two.

Nonetheless, I wish the entire wargear community from top to bottom the very best in life. particularly outside of this world of distraction. happiness, health, success, love... I wish you all the best.  - troll that -  i am not a jerk. i just like risk.

9. #9 / 15
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:
    Cramchakle wrote:
    ... tigers (when's the last time you saw one of those post around here, eh?)...

Maybe I'm old cram,  what's a tiger?

A jungle cat. Orange and black stripes. Fearsome predator.

In your Face!

10. #10 / 15
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

A-TEAM wrote:

Who are you?And thanks for that.?.?

Nonetheless, I wish the entire wargear community from top to bottom the very best in life. particularly outside of this world of distraction. happiness, health, success, love... I wish you all the best.  - troll that -  i am not a jerk. i just like risk.

I'm a wanna-be authority figure who's better at bloviating than playing RISK, as is readily confirmed by my post history and playing record. I'm also one of the good ol' boys; an early transplant from the site that spawned this one.

But what makes all that relevant to me participating in this conversation at all is that I'm one of the two or three people around here with the "forum moderator" abilities you claimed are being abused. Your claim of misuse is the only reason I said anything. The only posts I touch are irrelevant commercial spam, links to malware, etc. If there is a user issue, I report to Tom and let him deal with it as site admin. As much as I want a nice site for everyone to use, I'm also responsibility averse.

Part of what makes this community work is trust. It's just for fun after all. So the users tend to trust each other. They trust the site to throw the fairest dice a computer can. They trust the couple of people with any sort of control not to abuse it.

You have now called into question all of those levels of trust, and so, specifically with regard to forum moderation, I felt compelled to reply.

In your Face!

Edited Fri 2nd Oct 13:38 [history]

11. #11 / 15
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

A-TEAM wrote:
    berickf wrote:
    A-TEAM wrote:

if i played more classic risk i would not have time for any other thing.

That would be perfect, thanks!

12. #12 / 15
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I also i am an early transplant from T(hat)o(ther)S(ite); and while not as good a player as the rest of the club, am a wanna-be good-ol'-boy. I have also been a longtime player and poster here in the forums. Apparently someone (tom) thought i was so fair-minded and semi-trustworty that they asked me to take the unsought-for authority of forum moderator as was Cram and a few others.

However; unlike Cram, I *have* been one of those that have removed some of your posts from existence. Everytime I have, i've done so after being asked by and/or conferring with other moderators. And what we have removed are those that specifically call out names and other explicit information that should only be identified thru the Reporting feature. There was only one other of your threads that got moderated and that was a full thread that had fallen off the edge and was on the brink of detonation. and again was only done after a 'conference' with other moderators.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Fri 2nd Oct 14:27 [history]

13. #13 / 15
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    A-TEAM wrote:

Generally speaking, all of your posts are accusatory, inane, immature and trollish - and while I might not characterize them as upsetting, I would say that they are annoying at best.  If you think there's a conspiracy in the works, please leave the site.  We're not buying it.  Your opinions on matters of fairness, cheating and old boy networking will gain little traction in these forums until the quality of your play rises to a level that indicates you have perspicacity where the subtleties of the game-play and site mechanics are concerned.

+1

I am honestly shocked to hear you are old enough to have not played Risk in 20 years as your repeated unfounded accusations and style of writing imply a significant lack or language skills, social skills, intelligence, and/or knowledge of basic gaming etiquette.  

This is the kind of behavior you would associate with a socially inept child, or someone who knows better, but does it intentionally to mess with people (ie a troll).  

If you are not intentionally trying to appear this way please realize that this is how you appear to the majority of people on this site.  

This is why people are either responding to you as a jerk to be shunned/banned or an awkward child to be educated.  I'm not stating this to "attack" you, but to clarify how you are being perceived by the community at large. 

You're probably not aware of this, but some of the people calling you out now are the type of people that rarely say bad things about anyone and generally try to stay positive or at least make cute jokes about everything. When even those people are telling you to "shut it down" that's a real bad sign.

If you don't want people to keep thinking of you in these ways you might want to follow the advice that multiple players have said multiple times:

1. Either stop posting and just play the games, OR
    2. Take the hint and go away, OR 
    3. At least put a little more thought/time into what you choose to write and how you write it. 

Edited Fri 2nd Oct 16:54 [history]

14. #14 / 15
    Standard Member A-TEAM
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

sift.

To all offended by the statement i made about post removed. I was stating a fact. not complaining. no offense was meant. nor was it the purpose of my communication. I cared very little that post were removed, i only noticed it... I thought the nature of what I wrote was absolutely sarcastic, but i was not vulgar or insulting as I recollect. Nonetheless, I have no problem with the post being censored. no complaints.

Itsnotatumor..., What can i say? Well, honestly, I wish you the very best in life. particularly outside of this world of distraction. happiness, health, success, love... I wish you all the best. And if you have kids I hope the same for them. Just have a good life. All the best. I mean it. Sincerely.

15. #15 / 15
    Standard Member A-TEAM
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Also, to the old timers who help shape the site to existence... for the most part, thanks.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)