5 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 10
    Standard Member agentphoenix
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

I read a post that was from a while back, c. 2011. It had brought up the site's API which was responded to with, " It's not yet public, but it will be ". I haven't been able to find any more information on the matter. I was just wondering if the site truly had a Public API now, and where I could find it if so. 

TL;DR: Does Wargear have a public API, and where can I find it? 

2. #2 / 10
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Damn that search function!

There is a REST API but it's not Public yet - but only in the sense that it's not been documented. I've been looking at a tool for auto-documenting this.

What sort of thing are you interested in it for? 

3. #3 / 10
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

what is API and why do we care?

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

4. #4 / 10
    Standard Member agentphoenix
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Tom, Thank you for replying! 

I am just looking to create a sort of auto informer that can report to an IRC channel, or skype room or something. 

I know the site has a lot of options to remind people it's their turn, but it requires either getting a lot of emails, or being constantly logged into the site. As this can't always be done, I was just looking for a way to inform my friends on a turn by turn basis who's turn it is. 

Fairly simple, but I am in no means in a giant rush to get it all sorted out, just the boredom kicking in, looking to entertain myself :)

Thank you for the reply!

5. #5 / 10
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

An API is an "Applications Programming Interface".    It's a way for other programs to interact with wargear.  The API defines what functionality WarGear exposes to the outside world. 

I also would be interested in an API.  From a map makers perspective I would find it extremely useful to be able to query wargear about the history of public games played on my maps.   I can think of tons of custom statistics that  I would like to compile to help me make my maps more fun and more balanced. 

If the API did allow me to do that, I would try and make a public front end to whatever tools I create to allow other mapmakers to also benefit.

6. #6 / 10
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

If the API did allow me to do that, I would try and make a public front end to whatever tools I create to allow other mapmakers to also benefit.

I have no clue what it all means, but I'm gonna give it a +1.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

7. #7 / 10
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

What I'm imagining is a web page I would make where you type in your map name and scenario, check off some things, maybe fill in some text boxes, and click 'go', and it comes back in a minute with a bunch of plots and statistics. 

For myself - I'd like to see in invention which of the 4 civs wins most often, or which wins least often & how big a difference.  With the existing charting, I can see which seat wins, but that doesn't correspond to civ side. 

I'd also like to see, how often does the winner (or someone) else get a specific territory before the game is over. 

Or I'd like to see, once a certain territory is taken, how many rounds does the game last after that.

I imagine once I get the basic framework done, we'd think of lots of stats we'd all love to know about our maps.

8. #8 / 10
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Agentpheonix: I'm sure your looking for something more invloved, but I love this extension for telling me it's my turn:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wargear-turn-poller/fmdgmnnfapgldofahkbkadbleekflkbh

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet
    Edited Thu 6th Mar 22:11 [history]

9. #9 / 10
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

The API documentation is live - there's only a few functions there but the Game List one should help you.

If you need anything else let me know - there's plenty of other API calls that I need to document around game interaction so if someone is interested in writing code that directly controls player game actions I can prioritise that.

A quick word about authentication - this is based off browser cookies at the moment. If required I can set up other forms of auth.

See 'API' link in the page footer for more.

Edited Thu 3rd Apr 13:16 [history]

10. #10 / 10
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thanks for this Tom, I can't wait to check it out.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)