2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 11
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hello All,

I know that this has been touched upon before, most notably in this thread: http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2890/revert_territory_to_nuetral

But, as that one was solved via a different means all together, I decided to start a new thread for this.

I am making my first board and really need to have a revert to neutral with abandon OFF...  I realize that there have been some clever propositions with off board territories/capitals and the use of factories, but, the common denominator to the problem is getting it below 1 troop to automatically revert to neutral as this only seems possible with Abandon on.  Now, for the purposes of the board I'm trying to create, abandon ON would not be acceptable, so, with all the new things that have been put into the designer tool-set here, has anyone figured out a solution to this problem yet?  It would even be acceptable if the revert to neutral command could be activated without it even being reduced to zero, just so long as it becomes neutral.  So, if there was a factory solution that could reduce it to only 1, because Abandon is OFF, and then an override that applies the "automatically convert to neutral" to the one (perhaps an xml edit), then that would be quite acceptable as well.

Thanks a lot,

Erick

2. #2 / 11
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

@berickf,

Did you see this thread..?

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/3116p1/Replenishing_Neutrals

Though it's not exactly related, it does go into some detail in trying to solve a similar issue (unsuccessfully).

Short of making a separate continent for each player's capital tied to a massively negative Universal Factory on each target territory, I don't see a way to do it..  You won't need abandon on (in fact, you won't want it on),  but you will need capitals, which raises a new set of problems.

I've been trying to think of the best solution to present as a proposed feature that solves this and related problem as elegantly and efficiently as possible, and I like Ed Nygma's suggestion, AutoCaptureNeutral, which I would amend..

AutoNeutral
    AutoNeutral N-
    AutoNeutral N+

..where N- would NOT apply the bonus if the territory is already neutral, and N+ would apply the bonus ONLY if the territory is already neutral.  I can't really think of any uses for N+, but I suppose there might be uses where multiple factories are working in concert. On the other hand, I can see that N- would probably be a mainstay.

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

3. #3 / 11
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

berickf - I don't think what you want to do is currently possible. 

M57 - how about the per-territory minimums (i.e. abandon on some territories, but not others).  Wouldn't that solve this problem?  I like that solution because it seems like a logical expansion of current features, and I think it would be more useful in lots of situations.

4. #4 / 11
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Agree with Ozy on the per-territory minimums as a first step to add to the designer. M57's and Nygma's suggestions for a set of autoneutral factory settings sound cool, but could come later.

5. #5 / 11
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:

Agree with Ozy on the per-territory minimums as a first step to add to the designer. M57's and Nygma's suggestions for a set of autoneutral factory settings sound cool, but could come later.

Yes - we're going OT, but I agree.. the lack of per territory min, or more importantly per territory abandon (min = 0) is probably my #1 nemesis.  In fact, I wonder that it would go a ways toward solving a lot of design problems that would otherwise require an AutoNeutral factory.

6. #6 / 11
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hey M57, I had read that thread some time back, even before you inspired me to getting back to work on my board. 

So, It looks like the general opinion is that what I need just can't be done yet, but there are a number of solutions "on the horizon" once x, y or z are implemented into the designer...  Which is the way life goes.

As a last ditch effort, Ozy, since you seem to be knowledgeable with programming, is there anyway that your advanced map editor could hijack the xml and force neutral reversion no matter what's there at the beginning of every turn?

Otherwise, I'll just design with the way things are and then as soon as a factory that can address this is implemented into the design tools I'll be back in there to tweak my board ASAP!

Thanks everyone!

7. #7 / 11
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>Ozy, since you seem to be knowledgeable with programming, is there anyway that your advanced map editor could hijack the xml and force neutral reversion no matter what's there at the beginning of every turn?

I don't think so.  My advanced editor won't allow anything the normal editor can't do, it just allows you to add 100s to 1000s of territories, borders, continents etc. automatically.

8. #8 / 11
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'll have to exercise patience then and wait for new tools to come along that might serve my purposes... Like the rest of you have been doing for months (years)?

Edited Wed 24th Jul 16:05 [history]

9. #9 / 11
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

berickf wrote:

I'll have to exercise patience then and wait for new tools to come along that might serve my purposes... Like the rest of you have been doing for moths (years)?

I've been waiting for so many "moths" that my clothes have holes in them.

10. #10 / 11
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Actually, we are all quite amazed at what Tom has been able to do with this site, and most if not all of us are very grateful for how supportive and timely his work is.

Edited Wed 24th Jul 16:01 [history]

11. #11 / 11
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thanks ;-) fixed

Tom's work is admirable for sure!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)