219 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 8
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I'm working on a board, and I thought that order matters in the case below and that factories can create chain reactions (all occurring in the same turn), but it doesn't seem to be working.

• Factory A (comprised of member T1) AutoCaptures T2 (assume T2 is always owned by a different player).
    • Universal Factory B (comprised of member T2 only) changes the unit count on T3 (Again T3 is owned by a different player).

It doesn't seem like the second factory is working.  Any thoughts?

I could have a universal factory do the trick directly from T1 to  T3.  But I have ten T1s servicing ten T3s.  It's 10x less work to have an intermediary take care of the job.

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

2. #2 / 8
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

While I'm on the subject, I'm assuming that the order factories appear in the designer are the order that they are filled.

e.g., because of the way it lists in the pulldown - Zombies should fill before antichrist.

Can anyone confirm this?

3. #3 / 8
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

factories work on two passes.  First pass all the memberships are checked to see what factories are active.  2nd pass the active factories are applied.  It is not possible to do what you are asking in the first post in 1 turn.

What you can do instead, is have factory B have member only member T1 so that it activates in one turn.

4. #4 / 8
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>I'm assuming that the order factories appear in the designer are the order that they are filled.

Tom once said they were applied in the order that MySQL gives when you 'ORDER BY'.  Which I believe is alphabetical.  My guess is the pulldown is populated in some other manner, so the orders do not correspond.

One thing I am curious about is if the 1st pass where Factories are identified to be applied or not, considers the target for a 'standard' factory.   For a standard factory the target territory has to be owned by the player who owns the factory members.   What happens if that player gains ownership of the target territory via another factory earlier in the factory order?  Does the factory not get applied, because they didn't own it during the 1st pass?  Or does it get applied because the 1st pass only looks at membership and the ownership of the target is not considered until the 2nd pass?

Should be fairly simple to setup a test map to check.

5. #5 / 8
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

You would think that the way it orders lists in the designer would be the same way it would execute them later.  Re: your last point/question, If factories on one territory are cumulative then it shouldn't matter what order they fire, which implies that the order ownership is applied makes a difference.

I wonder if changing the order in the xml would make a difference - or does it get re-ordered?

6. #6 / 8
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>I wonder if changing the order in the xml would make a difference

I'm pretty sure any order is based on territory name.

7. #7 / 8
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

One thing I am curious about is if the 1st pass where Factories are identified to be applied or not, considers the target for a 'standard' factory.   For a standard factory the target territory has to be owned by the player who owns the factory members.   What happens if that player gains ownership of the target territory via another factory earlier in the factory order?  Does the factory not get applied, because they didn't own it during the 1st pass?  Or does it get applied because the 1st pass only looks at membership and the ownership of the target is not considered until the 2nd pass?

Should be fairly simple to setup a test map to check.

I would assume that it would not get applied...otherwise couldn't that create the infinite loop scenario?  Right?

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

8. #8 / 8
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I don't see how it would create a loop. The second run where the orders are 'filled' is only gone through once, so though it is conceivable that (during the 2nd run) when the first order fills it also realizes the final condition for the second order, it will never go back and re-fill the first order.

My experience is that not even this can happen because the I think the engine checks for both member and factory happiness, and throws the whole thing out when it gets no joy.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)