1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 14
    Standard Member Ender
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Gentlemen,

I am pretty sure that the graphics for this type of almost pure naval battle can be worked out pretty easily, but its the gameplay that really has me stuck.  If I can't work out a solution now, I will revisit the idea once BAO play is implemented.

Here is the general idea: take a grid 64 wide by 32 high with even squares on it.  Heavy Fog.  Always visible graphics of Midway island, 3 main US carriers, 6 Jap carriers and 1 Jap troop transport ship.  Each grid would be able to attack within a 3 grid radius.  Idea would be for 1v1 or 2v2 play with limited attack and only 1 fortify.  Combined with abandon territories, this should make for a pretty suspenseful play.  Japan would start off with more initial units, but no bonus.  US would start off with about 1/2 units, but a small bonus for midway island.

I want the carriers to be 2 grid long, with the back part of the grid being the "hanger" where you are only allowed to fortify to the flight deck (unit capped).  The hanger would also have a d -2, so you have to protect your carriers.  The jap troop ship and midway island would be capitols (add individual carriers for more than 1v1).

How do I balance the game so that a Jap air strike from the start doesn't just end the game?  Does this sound like a map that people would be interested in playing?

2. #2 / 14
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

You have a graphic picked?

Yertle is here.

3. #3 / 14
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

First we need to know what Simultaneous Play is gonna be. Toaster and I were chatting about it today. I don't know what tom has planned for it, but I assume he wants it to not be just like BAO from the other site.
    I've been giving it some thought but I came to a conclusion....I don't have a lot of substances thoughts.

The Status is NOT quo

4. #4 / 14
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Warlight has an interesting take on BAO, in that it doesn't use Dice but simply a percentage which then a 'luck' factor can be set by the Map designer. Doesn't really look that that is how Simul play here is going to be, but it is kind of interesting. Although not sure why it can't be just like BAO from the other site, some of the new borders could be tricky I guess, but hmmmm...

Yertle is here.

5. #5 / 14
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Well, my thoughts on it are that the other site had something but it wasn't quite right (at least not the default). I would like to see something that not only allows you to do attacks but you set up for defense also. So something like if you have 10 units in a territory and you want to attack, you designate 6 of them for attack and so they get an attack advantage and the 4 remaining can either be designated for defense (giving a defense advantage) or not at all making it standard. That way you can anticipate attacks and defend to keep borders.
    I know there are flaws in that thinking and I'll leave math the the Math-aletes but my general thinking is that there should be more options in it than just to attack or not to attack. I'm just typing out loud here.

The Status is NOT quo

6. #6 / 14
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I do not believe I followed that scenario as you pictured it :P.

Yertle is here.

7. #7 / 14
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

You attack with 6 that get modified dice for an attack advantage and then the 4 remaining are set to defend so they get modified defense dice. Perhaps the floor value changes so that you roll larger dice (12 side v 10 side) by designating but that the floor value alters in a way so that you could potentially kill more armies but you also have a chance of losing more of your attackers.
    Again, not fully thought out but I'd like to see something where there is more designation of units rather than just straight dice with or without modifiers.

The Status is NOT quo

8. #8 / 14
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote: You attack with 6 that get modified dice for an attack advantage and then the 4 remaining are set to defend so they get modified defense dice. Perhaps the floor value changes so that you roll larger dice (12 side v 10 side) by designating but that the floor value alters in a way so that you could potentially kill more armies but you also have a chance of losing more of your attackers.
    Again, not fully thought out but I'd like to see something where there is more designation of units rather than just straight dice with or without modifiers.

I do like the sound of this.

Like your grandpa, but angrier.

(If you need help with map design, look me up via AIM @ cramchakle)

9. #9 / 14
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

ok, kids. give back ender his thread about BfM. I realize the simultaneous play discussion is a legitimate tangent, but I can see it going way off topic fast. I made a new thread for that conversation:

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/325/Simultaneous_Play_Discussion

10. #10 / 14
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I think your idea is workable Ender and I also think that Cram is drunk with admin power and thinks he can tell us what to post and where now!

The Status is NOT quo

11. #11 / 14
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I'm not an admin or a moderator, and claim none of their powers. I'm just a grumpy old man who likes everything in its place.

12. #12 / 14
    Standard Member Ender
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I will probably have something ready for test, without any new dev work on the map making mechanics in a week or so...

My goal for this map is authenticity... we won the battle of midway because our TACTICS led to LUCK!

I am thinking about some way to make this map ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK and then see who wins ;P

13. #13 / 14
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Am I reading correctly that you'll have 64 territory spaces by 32 territory spaces, therefore 2048 total territories? AND the majority of the territories have 12 borders?

If this is the case, were you planning on finishing it before or after you're committed to the asylum?

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

14. #14 / 14
    Standard Member Ender
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

LOL... the board might be a "little" smaller!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)