197 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 12
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm trying to kill opponent players with a factory/s, but I want the player to not be able to abandon other territories.

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2644/Factories_that_attack

Ozyman's solution of:

"per-territory minimums.  Then you can use min=0 for all those territories where you need to work your factory magic, but min=1 for the rest of the board."

Seems like a good one to me, and probably the easiest to implement. (Although I'm not sure about reverse compatability.)

If we could do that, I would be happy. 

Thanks.

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

2. #2 / 12
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

+1 ;)

3. #3 / 12
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

It's a pretty large amount of work to do unfortunately - the territory minimums are checked lots of places in the players and game engine and all the other associated code. How much benefit do you think this will bring (i.e. is it worth it Smile)

4. #4 / 12
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

For those of us that want to make maps with "cool" features it would open lots of possibilities - (it has come up repeatedly - whenever a new person gets the map-making bug)

Unfortunately I believe the majority of players would rather play  "regular" maps.

So, I am not sure the where it is on the cost/benefit line.

Two related changes that would also open doors for mapmakers would be the ability to include capitals in the randomized territory allocations and win conditions - not sure if either of those are easier or harder.

5. #5 / 12
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Sadly, I have to agree with Amidon, most seem to like the regular maps. And for myself, I can work around what I Need to do if it's lots of work. Hmm.

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

6. #6 / 12
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'd rank it pretty low on the list of possible improvements, too, but I think it should still be ON the list.

Edited Tue 11th Sep 12:01 [history]

7. #7 / 12
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

"per territory minimums" and "capitals in the randomized territory" are probably my two biggest desires right now.

I think it will actually make making *relatively* simple maps easier.  There are a couple map ideas I have, that if I try to make with the current rules won't play well, and will be extra confusing, but from a players perspective they will be relatively straight forward if those new features got done.

8. #8 / 12
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Same here.

9. #9 / 12
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I guess what ozy says is true too - the workarounds can make the map more confusing, so if we had this (per territory minimum) we could make more straightforward-playing maps with cool features -

10. #10 / 12
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Actually I have a board in review now that has abandonment on, revert at end of turn.  I would rather that was turned off but I have some artillery borders that I want to be able to be used to break up a continents.  Having the abandonment on is ok, but I think it would play better if I could differentiate.

11. #11 / 12
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

My board would most definately play better, and actually the map I wanted to use for the Escher competition would benefit from this feature too...  

Tom: Maybe you could group a couple of coding jobs together so your looking in all the spots less times?

12. #12 / 12
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

And just think, factories that can kill players... the possibilities are huge! You could have automated processes on a board!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)