178 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 13
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This is the place to vote for the Dr. Seuss map making competition.  Details are in this thread (copy & paste link):

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2455p1

The only requirement to vote is you have to play each of the maps at least once.  Then to vote post here with your top 3 favorite maps ranked.  Once you vote, you can't change your vote.  If your vote does not follow the required format of a ranked top 3 list, it will be discarded.

Deadline for votes: Midnight GMT August 31, 2012

Here are the maps:

Please keep all other discussion out of this thread.  If you have any questions PM me or post them in the thread linked above. 

Only post votes in this thread, feel free to give your review of the boards or why you voted in the order you did, but please use the other threads for discussion of boards.  ALL OTHER POSTS WILL BE DELETED!

Edited Mon 30th Jul 01:03 [history]

2. #2 / 13
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Here is my vote (#1 is the best):

1. Learn to Read

2. Lorax

3. Butter Battle

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

3. #3 / 13
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

1. Butter Battle

I think this board is an example of simplicity done right.   Only 12 territories, but there are a lot of different ways to win this board.  Graphics look sharp.  Obvious relation to the Dr. Seuss Theme.  Like all(?) duel boards, especially small ones, luck plays an important role, but I'm not sure if anything could be done about that.

2. Lorax

This was a close contender for 1st place, but dropped to second for me because of the extreme complexity. I played several games on this map and I still feel like I'm figuring out what I'm doing.  In some ways that is a good thing, but this was too much of a good thing for me.  I also talked to several other players that were on their 2nd or 3rd game and were still confused about how the board worked. 

I'm not sure what if anything could have been done about the complexity.  Maybe some kind of summary table in the description?  Or maybe a mini map to show affects of factories, borders, etc.  Probably two mini maps, one for each side.

This map also had lots that I thought was great.  Using offensive factories as the primary attack mechanism was interesting.  The winning conditions were something a bit different too - I really enjoyed them once I figured them out.  Graphics are fantastic.  Very tight coupling with the Dr. Seuss theme.  Overall a very good map that is hampered a bit by being so complicated that I think most players will give up after playing it once.

I think a bit more effort to take this confusing board and present it in a simpler fashion would have put this in 1st place for me. 

3. Learn To Read

This map I think has a lot of potential, but gets steep deductions because it is still a work in progress.    Since this is my map, I can talk a bit more about it's evolution.  I've had an idea for a long time of having some kind of Scrabble board.    Players would start with control of their seven letters and would use those letters to attack onto a scrabble board filled with letter tiles.  I couldn't come up with an original Dr. Seuss idea, so I adapted my Scrabble idea.    Although Dr. Seuss obviously had a very strong style of illustration, his style of writing was equally distinct, and I figured other boards would focus on his illustration, leaving his words for me.

I think the biggest problem with this board is the sheer size of it, as well as it's openness.  262 territories.  The most connected territory has 34 borders!  It's hard to not end up in a long and/or crab game with those characteristics.  So I tried a lot of things to avoid that - large sided dice to give an attack advantage, simultaneous placement to get things started sooner, fog to allow leaders to grow in hiding, capitals to allow quicker eliminations, etc.  I'm still trying to find the right combination that won't take forever to get a game going, and that is fun to play.

Edited Sat 18th Aug 22:44 [history]

4. #4 / 13
    Standard Member 3EyedTitan
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

My vote:  1)  Butter Battle  2) Learn to Read  3) Lorax

Butter Battle was a fun and unique 1v1 map and I enjoyed myself even though I lost.  I am definately going to come back to this map in the future.

I knew how to play Learn to Read right away so it got bonus points in simplicity.  This map still has a bug or two to work out, since something very wrong happened in our game.

Lorax seemed overly complex from the start, so additionally to reading the rules I also read over a forum post on the game.  I ended up losing the game and I was still confused as to what I could of/should of done.

5. #5 / 13
    Standard Member 3EyedTitan
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

3EyedTitan wrote:

...since something very wrong happened in our game.

I was wrong about that, but it doesn't change my vote.

6. #6 / 13
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

1) Butter Battle
    2) Lorax
    3) Learn to Read 

7. #7 / 13
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

1) Butter Battle

2) Lorax

3) Learn to Read

8. #8 / 13
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

1 -- Learn to Read
                 Even with the bugs for a perfect game still being tweaked, I think this is one of the best boards in some time (maybe since sliced and buttered bread Wink). Simple in concept and play, yet quite complex in style of play.

2 -- Butter Battle
                 Agree with the others that it is a good 2 player duel, but falls a bit behind in the fun factor of LTR. great job j-bomb.

3 -- Lorax
                 Waay too complex for me to enjoy. I just don't have enough time to get to know it like it probably should (also why i haven't had a submission in the last two contests). Looks great tho and makes me sad that i can't spend the time to learn what seems like a great board.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

9. #9 / 13
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The Lorax - it's a fun map, worth the initial learning curve Weather. I do think if the Once-ler gets bad early dice, he cannot recover.

10. #10 / 13
    Standard Member WestBeast510
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

1- Butter Battle

2-Learn to Read

3-The Lorax

11. #11 / 13
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The results are in:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjtIsJkyopekdFJ4YzU3VDlWTjNtZThJbTRYNFdtZ2c

1- Butter Battle

2-Learn to Read

3-The Lorax

(Winners PM Tom to collect your prize money).

12. #12 / 13
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Congrats All!  

They are all very High Quality Boards. Well Done.{#emotions_dlg.clap}

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

13. #13 / 13
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Well done everyone, these are great new boards and thanks everyone who entered the competition. Please drop me a PM or send an email to [email protected] with your preferred addres to send your winnings {#emotions_dlg.thumb}

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)