223 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 9
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

For the simulgear Dev board I am working  on I want to have Armor units that can move 2 territories per turn as opposed to just 1 for infantry.  My first idea was to create a territory (which on the board image will be inside another territory - an 'Armor Zone') whose borders go to territories that are 2 away, so in game terms the units in this zone will be able to move 2 terriories.  I like this but one problem is that if there are enemy units on a adjacent territory this will enable them to 'jump' over this units which I don't want.  Are there other ways to do this?   Another idea was to enable one fortify and one attack which will allow two moves only if the first territory is owned by you - however there does not seem to be a way to make this unit or territory specific.  Any ideas?

2. #2 / 9
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I think you could create the separate territories as you say but make the encompassing territory a D1VD0 attack to the artillery.  This would mean that any units trying to jump over enemy territories would get annihilated.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

3. #3 / 9
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Here is how i am doing it now, The Barrents Sea zone as you can see has borders to territories 1 and 2 moves away, so in game image terms it can move up to two zones.  But it could bypass a game image zone since it new really passes through it. 

4. #4 / 9
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

@Attila, i am not sure i understand your comment, now that I have posted the borders for you to see does it change what you are saying?

5. #5 / 9
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I have proposed a feature that would enable what you want.  It's call Unit Range Limits.

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1443p4/Enhancement_Requests

..see post #70 for detailed specifications regarding how it works.  There are 40 or so posts that precede it where it is up for discussion.  I used the term Movement Count to describe the mechanism.

It's high on my list of "wants".  I have a board "ready to go." that requires it.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Wed 29th Feb 13:54 [history]

6. #6 / 9
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

You'll need to differentiate unit abilities and I think the best way to do this is to have separate "armor" territories. Otherwise there's no distinction between units. Krock had been working with a similar problem.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

7. #7 / 9
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I am thinking that the armor would start from a territory that would allow two moves, but once it arrives at the destination it would mix with the other units.  So putting units in the Armor Zone would allow the units a one time 2 round movement and they would be the same as the rest after that, sort of like a one round 'power boost'.

8. #8 / 9
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

SG, this probably isn't what you're looking for, but take a glance at one of my dev maps (it's been in dev for over a year) - http://www.wargear.net/games/view/123785

The red locations represent armor strike capability and can move up to a range of 2 (defense lines notwithstanding).

9. #9 / 9
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thanks Thingol, I will probably end up doing something similar

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)