1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 5
    Thread Slayer Severene
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

I am currently working on an Earth type map that some may consider "too big".  Forgetting that the rest of the world may not be as into computers and big monitors as I am this did not occur to me when I started the map.  It wasnt until I started working on the map at work on smaller 22" monitors that I noticed the difference.  The laptop  I am using at work only allows 1680X1050 max where as the monitor I use at home is like 1900 X something (I think - Im at work right now...)  

SO- the basic jest of this post is this:  

What is maximum acceptable size of boards per majority of the population? (ie - what do the normal people use?)  That way I can scale the rest of my maps accordingly.

BTW - I am NOT complaining. I am just trying to make the world a better place with more awesome suggestions.

2. #2 / 5
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I tend to design maps the size I want to play them.  Like with Deadwood it's 1440x783.  I like it that size. 

If you want to use some goofy resolution like 1024x768 in the year 2012 with the advent of cheap big LCD's you go right ahead, but I'm not going to go out of my way to design boards for that size of monitor.  If that makes you not like the board because you have to scroll then don't play it.  I'm unapologetic! =)

3. #3 / 5
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The Help section advice is: The maximum board image size at present is 1.5MB. In general you should look at restricting your board size to 1024x768 pixels as anything bigger than that will mean players with smaller monitors will need to scroll around to play the game.

Do you have trouble staying within the 1.5 MB? That might end up being your upper limit.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

4. #4 / 5
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:

The Help section advice is: The maximum board image size at present is 1.5MB. In general you should look at restricting your board size to 1024x768 pixels as anything bigger than that will mean players with smaller monitors will need to scroll around to play the game.

Do you have trouble staying within the 1.5 MB? That might end up being your upper limit.

The file size of most any image can be reduced to below by posturizing (I do it all the time), so this really isn't an issue, but I will agree that 1024 X 768 is a good benchmark to shoot for.

That said.. larger monitors are becoming de rigueur, so it's possible the board could acquire a following with the large-screen crowd.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

5. #5 / 5
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Pretty much any board that I would get a horizontal scroll bar on I more than likely won't play, especially if the board doesn't need to be that big.  I play on a 1440 laptop, but I really think the 1024 is a very good limit unless absolutely necessary (which a big Earth map may be), but I really wouldn't look at going above 1280 personally, but may venture to 1366 if an super must.

Stats: http://gs.statcounter.com/#resolution-ww-monthly-201106-201108-bar

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)