208 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 28
    Standard Member Mostly Harmless
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I'm constantly having to catch myself before accidentally posting publically a message I only intended for my team.     I know I can immediately delete it if I catch it, but I've not always immediately caught that I had posted it publicly by mistake.

Based on personal observation, it seems most messages in team games are intended for  teammates and not for public.   Also, because it can be quite damaging to post a team message publicly, but only a hassle if the reverse happens,  it seems to make sense that the default in team games should be to post team messages.

thanks for your attention.

2. #2 / 28
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

You usually realize you've made the mistake immediately after posting, right? Remember, you can always delete the message, most likely before anyone has seen it.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

3. #3 / 28
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

M - Did you read the second sentence of his post?

+1 for M.H.'s idea.
    Other options: Default = Message to self, or maybe making the default "Nothing" so the user has to pick the audience for the message every time.

4. #4 / 28
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

No - I didn't see the second part of the post -- or I forgot it as I was posting.  {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Default "nothing" is OK, but I like it the way it is.  I guess I've gotten use to it and i always check now.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.

5. #5 / 28
    Standard Member Mostly Harmless
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

No - I didn't see the second part of the post -- or I forgot it as I was posting.  {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Default "nothing" is OK, but I like it the way it is.  I guess I've gotten use to it and i always check now.

Being a logical person, and also being one who designs applications and provides customer support as a profession, I can't really relate to a "I like it this way" kind of response over an objective one.    So, if you speak for Wargear (?), I'm a little disappointed not so much by the decision (because it's not *that* critical of an issue), but the approach.   Is there a specific objective reason you like it the way it is (think it is better)? ... or is "because I said so" the normal process for "discussing" user suggestions?   

I would second Boris' recommendation that a default of nothing would be better than public.    Unless it is a real pain to change, why make the default action one that generally requires you to over-ride it and/or double-check it,  and, when one forgets or doesn't notice, as is particularly likely to happen with new people, results in potentially ruining the game?   What's the advantage of preserving the current behavior?  

Edited Thu 5th Jan 12:00 [history]

6. #6 / 28
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I have also made this mistake in team games more than once.  So, a +1 to the suggestion.

7. #7 / 28
    Standard Member the regulator
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

ive done this as well, though always caught myself and deleted and reposted.  think its a very good idea though!

8. #8 / 28
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Mostly Harmless wrote:

Being a logical person, and also being one who designs applications and provides customer support as a profession, I can't really relate to a "I like it this way" kind of response over an objective one.    So, if you speak for Wargear (?)

I do not speak for WarGear. Whatever gave you that impression?  Surely you're not implying that I am not a logical person or that I'm incapable of making objective responses? ..because that's how some might interpret your words.  Customer service you say?

I'm a little disappointed not so much by the decision (because it's not *that* critical of an issue), but the approach.

What decision?  Did I miss something?

Is there a specific objective reason you like it the way it is (think it is better)? ... or is "because I said so" the normal process for "discussing" user suggestions? 

I don't remember stating that the status quo was the way it should be. I merely said that I've gotten use to it.  In fact, I said that I was "OK" with a change.

What's the advantage of preserving the current behavior?  

1. People (like me) are use to it.  (Sorry if that's not a good response; I'm just a "customer".) Subjectivity has its value.

2. Unlike some other posters to this thread (and we have nowhere near a decent sample), the majority of my posts are public, and I prefer the default to be what I use the most (the majority may not, in which case it probably should be changed or modified in some way).

3. Efficiency.

1. I'm going to speculate that most players use "message to self" less than any other option. (By the way, that feature was originally my suggestion; it has only been a feature here for about a year). 
    2. Starting with "none" as default means that every time I want to make any post I have to "pull down" a menu.
    3. If the default were private, which player would it be set to? It's unlikely to be the one I want to PM.

I have an alternate proposal (which at this point I won't vote for). "Default" is user set in the preferences.  Either public, note to self, or none.

My vote (for what it's worth) - keep it as it is.

Edited Thu 5th Jan 17:32 [history]

9. #9 / 28
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

as far as 3c, if i remember correctly he had wanted it changed to team message, not private. 

10. #10 / 28
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

the regulator wrote:

as far as 3c, if i remember correctly he had wanted it changed to team message, not private. 

That makes sense in team games.. What about non-team games?

11. #11 / 28
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I've no problem with changing this if this is the consensus opinion. Although having different behavior when in a team vs non-team game does seem a little counter-intuitive...

12. #12 / 28
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I like M57's proposal:  "Default" recipient is defined within the user's settings.
    Options:  "Note to Self" or "Public"
    (Team message isn't an option because, like Tom said, it isn't an option when in non-team games, so he'd have to have 2 different behaviors)

Not to create more havoc, but as a side question: is there a particular reason why we can only delete the message in the first minute after posting (or whatever time limit it is)?  I'm sure there's a reason, I just don't know what it is.  If not, though, maybe Mostly Harmless (and some of the rest of us) would be assuaged by the knowledge that even if we figure it out 10 minutes later we still have the opportunity to delete (with a hope that our opponents haven't read it yet).

13. #13 / 28
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

we can delete it, so if you notice it's not red or green - go copy and delete, then recreate.

i don't have a problem with it being something that's set in user settings, as long as i can control it not being set to nothing (or note to self since i rarely use those anymore).

what i DO NOT want is to have to actually pick something everytime i write something.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

14. #14 / 28
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    the regulator wrote:

That makes sense in team games.. What about non-team games?

i would hope that would stay as it is... better chance of seeing someone trying to make an alliance if they screw up Wink

its good to have a 'spy' catch those things now and again Smile

Edited Fri 6th Jan 14:35 [history]

15. #15 / 28
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

we can delete it, so if you notice it's not red or green - go copy and delete, then recreate.

I agree you can delete it, but only right after you post the message.
    If I'm correct, the option to delete disappears after the first 30-120 seconds (there's some limit, but I don't know what it is).
    At least that's what I see when I go look at what I've written in games I'm in now.

Or am I missing something?

16. #16 / 28
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Also -

In team games it would also be cool to be able to message another team, instead of having to copy and paste the same message to each member of another team.

Also, it would be nice in team games to cc your teammates in on messages that you send privately to other players/teams. 

Certainly neither of those is a big deal, but they would be nice.

17. #17 / 28
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:
    weathertop wrote:

If I'm correct, the option to delete disappears after the first 30-120 seconds (there's some limit, but I don't know what it is).
    At least that's what I see when I go look at what I've written in games I'm in now.

Pretty sure that's what we have now - and I think it's working well - whatever it is ..~2 minutes.

18. #18 / 28
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

Also -

In team games it would also be cool to be able to message another team, instead of having to copy and paste the same message to each member of another team.

Also, it would be nice in team games to cc your teammates in on messages that you send privately to other players/teams. 

The second seems unnecessary to me.  How often do you need to "secretly" PM another team, whilst CCing your team, just to avoid PMing some other team?  I suppose it could happen, but I think a copy/paste is not asking too much here.

The first one seems to have more value to me..

19. #19 / 28
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:
    weathertop wrote:

i think you can delete until someone new posts on top of it (or until some vague timer runs out). but you see it get posted so you'll be able to tell if its not what you want (at least i don't leave the page till it updates correctly).
    and yes i know its right then, but that's what the whole proposal is about - - do it this way so you don't have to delete it right away. but that's my argument, you're there anyway, shouldn't be that difficult to notice if you've done it wrong, now that we've gotten the colored messages. it was more of an issue previously when all posts were white. (tho as i stated i don't have a problem if its a user defined thing, tho i think it might be hard to code up).

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

20. #20 / 28
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

Also -

now these would be nice!

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)