224 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 10
    Standard Member Rasputin
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I need a new gaming system and have 500 dollars to best buy and money on top of that so around 1500 by the 29th of december, do i wait and by a new laptop, get a 360 or ps3, and i want a gaming laptop.  Any suggestions?

2. #2 / 10
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Personal opinion:  Don't buy a laptop from Best Buy.  Not that there's a problem with their computers by any means, but value/$$ is much better at a wholesale type company, like Tiger Direct or something similar.  You'll just do yourself a benefit going elsewhere for computers.

As for PS3 vs 360, I'm still playing my original XBox and loving it.  Although MLB The Show alone (and the fact that it is 3 months til April) has all but convinced me to reallocate some discretionary funds.

3. #3 / 10
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I wouldn't have good advice regarding the laptop, but can weigh in on the 360 vs. PS3.

Most games are offered on both systems, so it comes down to the playing experience and extra features.  As I understand 360 has a pretty sweet online gaming platform (Xbox Live).  I've never had trouble with the PS3's onling gaming experience so I'm just taking others' word for it.  I think PS3 has the upper hand in the graphics department.

In the end I went with PS3 because of the blue-ray player.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

4. #4 / 10
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i've had similar quandries. i've got a blue-ray player already tho so that isn't really a swaying factor. i like the idea of the kinect for xbox. ATH: i've always thought xbox had the better graphics, i'm glad to hear that maybe PS3 is finally up to par with them. other info that i've heard that may be relavant (and maybe someone here can corroborate): PS has a broader game choice/availability, more family games. i've heard it said that if you're playin for yourself then xbox is the way to go, but if you're wanting family games too, then PS is it as xbox doesn't have much for family games (tho kinect may change that).

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

5. #5 / 10
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

PS3 has the move now, which i think is similar tot he kinect.  I've got the PS3, and have been reasonably happy with them, but I wish they did Amazon video on demand (does have Hulu+ and Netflix apps).

6. #6 / 10
    Standard Member Rasputin
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

yea, i think im gonna go with the xbox 360 i had one before i started med school and loved it, i had a ps2 and loved that too, the blu ray player is null because i already have a player, on the laptop i want a gaming laptop, i already have my laptop that is my take to work buddy, but i want a gaming one, i think i may go through tiger direct or newegg, love newegg, or do i just order the parts for a tower and build it myself for a lot less, thats what i did for my first computer, but as for laptops anybody know of any moderately priced gaming laptops?

7. #7 / 10
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Alienware is always seen as some of the best gaming laptops.  But I'm not sure they're really worth the extra cash as I haven't played any games with them.

I've built machines before...by my personal opinion:  my time is worth too much to do the actual assembly and maintenance.  These days, buy it from one of the good computer companies, and anything happens, and they'll take care of you, as opposed to you having to wait til you can get more parts on order, shipped, and put back together.

8. #8 / 10
    Standard Member Rasputin
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

yea, i gotta sell my best buy gift cards, but who knows maybe ill get a xbox and laptop, thanks for all the input everyone.

Evan

9. #9 / 10
    Standard Member Clausewitz
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Hey, I'm a little behind on this one but better late than never I guess.

I'm sure the PS3 is good too, but I've loved my xbox.  The big reason I'd suggest it over the PS3 though (besides XBOX live) is the Kinect.  It's a riot for parties (or for kids if you happen to have any).  The whole idea of not using a controller at all puts it (in my books anways) way out in front of the PS3 or Wii in terms of motion capture gaming.  The current games aren't amazing, but I'm sure they'll be improving rapidly.

10. #10 / 10
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

PS3 has the PlayStation Move, which is similar to Kinect.  I have no idea how they actually stack up.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)