214 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 11
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but it appears that the territory bonus calculation is a little off.  Currently +1 unit per 3 territories is calculated with the equation n/3 and +2 units per 6 territories is 2n/6, but these equations are the same, while in the game, they are not. 

The calculation should take the number of territories, divide by the specified amount, then remove the decimals, or round down, before multiplying by the bonus.  If the rounding doesn't happen, then you get +1 per 3 territories when you really want +2 per 6.  In the current format, with 3 territories, you still get 1 unit for +2/6, when really you shouldn't get any until you hit 6 territories.

2. #2 / 11
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:  In the current format, with 3 territories, you still get 1 unit for +2/6,

What game uses 2n/6?  Is this a game you are creating?

The logic works backwards too.  If candy bars are two for $1.50, I would expect the store to sell me one for $0.75.

Also using your equation, what is suppose to happen when a player gets to 9 territories? Am I correct in guessing that you only want them to still get two armies?

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

3. #3 / 11
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I think this has been brought up in the past...possibly even changed by tom once or twice too, but I've still wondered if it is correct.
    I see the logic of M57, but if you had +2 for 6 territories and you really just wanted +1 for 3 territories, why not just set it to +1/3 and thus Board Designers would have never needed the recent enhancement.
    Soooo, to me it seems like you shouldn't get a bonus until 6 territories are owned, then only in increments of 6. So I think I agree with EN (right?) :p.

Of course I still think there are bugs with negatives/min army bonus too :p

4. #4 / 11
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

The formula is as follows:

Territory Bonus = bonus_multiplier * floor(territorycounts / bonus_per_x_territories)

So for the example +2 for 6 territories and the player holding 3 territories, the resulting formula is:

2 * floor(3 / 6) = 2 * 0 = 0

This seems correct to me?

5. #5 / 11
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

M57 - the idea is that you have to hit the threshold. Counting territories by 3's, beginning with 0, with +1/3 you gets 0 units for 0, 1 unit for 3, 2 units for 6, 3 units for 9, 4 units for 12, 5 for 15 6 for 18 etc. In +2/6 you get 0 for 3, 2 for 6, 2 for 9, 4 for 12, 4 for 15, 6 for 18. Currently it seems the calculation makes 3/6=.5 then multiplies that by 2 and ends up with 1. It should make .5=0 as tom stated, but the Zombie USA map seems to still give +1 for 3.

6. #6 / 11
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Maybe I was wrong and that it is correct...
    This game http://www.wargear.net/games/view/26633 currently has:
    Territory Bonus   +8 (2x24/6 min 3)      +4 (2x14/6 min 3)     +4 (2x16/6 min 3)       +6 (2x22/6 min 3)

Which is right right?  There is the min of 3, but that is the only way you should get an odd number.

7. #7 / 11
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

In the games I am in on this board all seems to be working correctly and the formula tom has above is exactly as Nygma described. With this said, I hope there are not really any miscalculations as it would be very hard to fix.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

8. #8 / 11
    Standard Member Jigen
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

Maybe I was wrong and that it is correct...
    This game http://www.wargear.net/games/view/26633 currently has:
    Territory Bonus   +8 (2x24/6 min 3)      +4 (2x14/6 min 3)     +4 (2x16/6 min 3)       +6 (2x22/6 min 3)

Which is right right?  There is the min of 3, but that is the only way you should get an odd number.

If the minimum is 3, then in that map you should always have an odd number. You get two units per 6 territories. So the only way to get an Even number is to get an odd number of units, which should never happen because 2 and every multiple of 2 is even.   The territory bonuses should go; 3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17..... and so on.

Jigen.gif
    Edited Fri 10th Sep 16:55 [history]

9. #9 / 11
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I disagree with that.

10. #10 / 11
    Standard Member Jigen
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

as you should. the sequence would actually be all evens and go 3,4,6,8,10 so it seems to be working properly, but it should be notated better in the information area. maybe put the two outside the parenthesis.

Jigen.gif

11. #11 / 11
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

outside would look like 2x(4/6 min 3), which seems like it should be 6, so I disagree. probably, there should be a set of parenthesis or at least a space, like
    (2x(4/6) min 3)
    or just
    (2x 4/6 min 3)

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)