219 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 10
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Can I lobby to add the requirement of spelling, grammar and punctuation checking to the About section in order for a board to pass review?

A recent board that passed review has about 15 errors (if I'm being lenient) and about 30 if you want to be strict about it.  I don't want to be strict about it, but spelling errors at least should be corrected.

Of course I never remember to read the About section before wasting my first turn so I don't know why I'm complaining. {#emotions_dlg.suspicious}

Edit: sure, go ahead and point out that I spelled grammar wrong in the post title.  Go right ahead.  I'll wait.

-John Hancock-
    Edited Thu 15th Apr 03:04 [history]

2. #2 / 10
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I agree, it bugs me too :P

On a related note, I'm really a fan of capital over capitol, and since the rule is Capital Cities I stand even more firm on this :P

On another a related note, it would be nice to allow Firefox to do the spell check thingy for the Board Description area of the Board Designer, which it currently doesn't do.

3. #3 / 10
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

I agree, it bugs me too :P

On a related note, I'm really a fan of capital over capitol, and since the rule is Capital Cities I stand even more firm on this :P

I believe a capitol to be specifically a building, whereas capital is used to describe something of primary importance: including cities/regions/areas. I'm with the turtle on this one.

... danger zone! ...

4. #4 / 10
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Cram is correct. The use of capital denotes the center of government for a state, province, or country, e.g. the capital city. Capital can also refer to the financial assets of a firm. The Capitol, on the other hand, is the building which houses the U.S. Congress, and a lowercase capitol is a generic term for a building which houses a state legislature.

EDIT: Capital can also be used as an adjective, but that's another discussion.

Edited Thu 15th Apr 10:13 [history]

5. #5 / 10
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I can't spell. I need to have spell checkers. When I am writing one of my many 2/3rds completed books, I have to spell check every 10 pages just so it doesn't take 3 days to run though it at the end. I'm sorry about this, it's a failing and I need to have someone edit my stuff.
    The Firefox spell checker in the text input box would be great.

The Status is NOT quo

6. #6 / 10
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Not going to be possible sorry - it's a Flash component which doesn't have access to a spellchecking service.

7. #7 / 10
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote: I can't spell. I need to have spell checkers.

I'm in the same boat.

when my words hit the page/keyboard its like entering bizzaro world, nothing makes sense. so if any of my boards have spelling / grammar mistakes and you are waiting for me to catch them its not going to happen.

8. #8 / 10
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I don't know that proofreading the About should be a requirement for the board passing review, but the reviewers should certainly be looking at it and pointing out errors they see.

It's a trap!

9. #9 / 10
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: I don't know that proofreading the About should be a requirement for the board passing review, but the reviewers should certainly be looking at it and pointing out errors they see.

:P I know I'm guilty of seeing them but not commenting due to the number of them.

10. #10 / 10
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

there is a simple solution ya'll. use another flippin program to write your shit and then port it over...maybe something with a built in spell-check, say word or something. i mean you use another program for the graphics, are you that lazy to use another for the wordsmithing if you KNOW your shit isn't good?

shit - it's not mine that had errors in it, was it?!?

shouldn't be too hard to say in the review. put your shit into a spell check...before i pass it. don't need to be the editor, unless it's their second attempt or something. its one thing for quick posts to the forum, but something that is being proof'ed and put into a 'professional' board, take a bit of time to make it as pretty as your boards ppl.

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)