219 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 18
    Standard Member AntiScourge
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

This has happened a couple times to me, and to some of my friends.  You create a game, or even a lightning game, and a player in Vacation Mode joins the game.  It seems to me that there should be some restrictions set on Vacation Mode to prevent abuse.  I'm just spitballing here, but my thoughts are...

Unable to switch to Vacation Mode when in a Lightning Game.
    Unable to Join any games when in Vacation Mode.
    When you come off Vacation Mode, a 3-7 Day gap before you can put yourself on Vacation Mode again.
    Possibly unable to take turns in Vacation Mode?  This is iffy, because nowadays you'll usually have at least a few minutes of Internet Access where you might want to take your turns.

Btw, if There are already some restrictions on the use of Vacation Mode, let me know.  I've looked around a bit before, and not seen anything.  All I know is I groan when I see a player take a turn while on Vacation.

2. #2 / 18
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Possibly unable to take turns in Vacation Mode?  This is iffy, because nowadays you'll usually have at least a few minutes of Internet Access where you might want to take your turns.

and you want to finish all your turns before you turn off vaca mode in order to avoid immediate skippage.

Don't Taze Me Bro!

3. #3 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Note: Lightning games ignore Vacation status.
    From http://www.wargear.net/help/display/Boot%20Types

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

Seek Yours Today. Get Uncomfortable.

4. #4 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

As for the rest, kind of not sure.
    weathertop makes a good reason for allowing turns.
    Unable to Join games, perhaps, although as you said, even in Vacation mode sometimes you get to play some.
    Restriction on going to Vacation mode, quick unexpected or even planned Vacations close together happen at times.
    Overall Vacation seems set up pretty nicely IMO. Abusing it or using it when it's not needed (ie you can take your turns) will more than likely leave you without any days left fairly fast.

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

5. #5 / 18
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I don't see any reason why a person on vacation mode should be able to join or create games.

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

6. #6 / 18
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I agree as far as joining/creating.

Cramchakle wrote: [anything]
    I agree

7. #7 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Hmmmmm, I guess I don't see why a person on vacation mode should NOT be able to join or create games.

What's Your Passion?

8. #8 / 18
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Toaster wrote: I don't see any reason why a person on vacation mode should be able to join or create games.

i agree with this if it is limited to ranked games, i dont think private games should be restricted.

9. #9 / 18
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i don't see why you should be able to join a game while on vaca, as you wouldn't or shouldn't be 'playing', tho i guess i'd be fine with limiting it to not joining ranked games.

Don't Taze Me Bro!

10. #10 / 18
    Standard Member AntiScourge
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote: Note: Lightning games ignore Vacation status.
    From http://www.wargear.net/help/display/Boot%20Types

Thanks for the clarification Yertle, I hadn't looked at the Boot Types page.

As to the joining/creating games.   The purpose of Vacation Mode is to ensure you don't get booted while you're on vacation in the games that you're already in, because there's no predicting how long games will take.  If you're joining games in particular, you're basically delaying the play of that game.  Creating games, not as big of a deal, because people can see you're on Vacation before they join.

11. #11 / 18
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote: Hmmmmm, I guess I don't see why a person on vacation mode should NOT be able to join or create games.

I understand the devil's advocacy position you ironically seem to take on so many issues, but this is just silly.  They shouldn't be able to join or create games because they are in vacation mode.  There really doesn't have to be any further explanation. {#emotions_dlg.suspicious}

903244_big.jpg

12. #12 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I sometimes use Vacation as a "Safe" mode, just in case I won't be able to take my turns, but at times I am able to be on the site just fine. But, eh *shrug*, would definitely like to see the ability to come off of Vacation mode early then (which has been asked before I think)... of course then I assume you would need protection from going Off/On just to join games.

What's Your Passion?

13. #13 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

IRoll11s wrote:

I understand the devil's advocacy position you ironically seem to take on so many issues...

Not that you are saying this, but I really don't take that type of position just to be difficult.  I do genuinely try to think through things before I post and I don't reply just to try and be a jerk or anything. 

*edit* (Just wanted to say that because I also see that it appears that I do that at times.)

What's Your Passion?

Edited Tue 2nd Feb 18:01 [history]

14. #14 / 18
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

I do genuinely try to think through things before I post and I don't reply just to try and be a jerk or anything. 

In this, as in so many things, you and I are polar opposites.

Cramchakle wrote: [anything]
    I agree

15. #15 / 18
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    IRoll11s wrote:

I understand the devil's advocacy position you ironically seem to take on so many issues...

Not that you are saying this, but I really don't take that type of position just to be difficult.  I do genuinely try to think through things before I post and I don't reply just to try and be a jerk or anything. 

*edit* (Just wanted to say that because I also see that it appears that I do that at times.)

I should have been more explicit in saying I thought that was a good thing, but I assumed you would realize it was.

903244_big.jpg

16. #16 / 18
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I agree it doesn't make sense for people to be able to join / create games when in vacation mode. Before that is disabled I need to add a feature to allow vacation mode to be cancelled otherwise it could be annoying.

17. #17 / 18
    Standard Member paulharrow
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Why stop someone making moves? When I am on vacation, I make moves if the chance arises as a matter of courtesy to other players.

18. #18 / 18
    Standard Member Slimer
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Paulharrow,
    No ones complaining about people making moves while in vacation mode, Its creating new games or joining new games while in vacation mode.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)