219 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 29
    Standard Member paulharrow
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I just started reading about map making, and thought I'd like to try, but as a beginner, the loss of circles does add another barrier to a newbie like myself. Not sure I understand the argument for getting rid of them? Is it because it makes it easier to make a map?? Strange reason.

2. #22 / 29
    WWI Flying Ace Red Baron
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

paulharrow wrote: I just started reading about map making, and thought I'd like to try, but as a beginner, the loss of circles does add another barrier to a newbie like myself. Not sure I understand the argument for getting rid of them? Is it because it makes it easier to make a map?? Strange reason.

It's basically because the game directory at Warfish is littered with hundreds of substandard circle-mode maps, such that map designers who come from Warfish have developed a certain amount of contempt for them.  The hope is to find ways to avoid that sort of thing on WarGear and maintain a higher level of quality.

I tend to view circle-mode maps as being like training wheels on a bike; really helpful when starting out, but embarrassing to be seen using once you have some experience.  Banning circle-mode maps from the game directory is like saying you can't bike with the big boys until you've learned to ride without the training wheels.

Edited Fri 4th Dec 20:58 [history]

3. #23 / 29
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Red Baron wrote:

I tend to view circle-mode maps as being like training wheels on a bike; really helpful when starting out, but embarrassing to be seen using once you have some experience.  Banning circle-mode maps from the game directory is like saying you can't bike with the big boys until you've learned to ride without the training wheels.

My post earlier about never having training wheels as a kid wasn't just allegory. I didn't. And I learned to ride a big boy bike before everyone else.

Cram it.

4. #24 / 29
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The first map I ever made at WF was a circle-mode map as well. And I redrew it for fill mode after 2 test games with my friends. I consider myself lucky that I never shared it publically; I'd be embarrassed today if anyone still on WF had ever played it.

The idea to make circle-mode available for beginning map-makers to play private games while they figure out the general ideas behind board design is a good one.

I agree with "Cram-Chackle"

5. #25 / 29
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yeah, go ahead and do whatever you want behind closed doors. As long as you don't make me watch, I don't care what you do.

Cram it.

6. #26 / 29
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

There are circle maps that are very playable and actually couldn't be done any other way......wait, that's not right, they could be done another way!

paulharrow, the point of getting rid of it is to make map making something you want to do and take pride in, not just something you do because you have an hour to kill. On another site that I used to play and design on I made a bet with someone for the number of circle maps I could make in 2 hours and have them all playable and have at least 30 territories. I got 5 of them done but would never want to release any of them. Wargear has a great design tool, integrated forums with a whole section devoted to map making and some people that can be great sources of information and are around a lot.

Why give a crutch when we can just heal the injury?

When Life Hands You Lemons, Find Someone to Throw them at!

7. #27 / 29
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Circle mode maps have now been blocked from submission to Live status... I'll add a note to the Designer in the next release.

Circle Mode is Dead! Long live Fill Mode!

8. #28 / 29
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Long live Fill Mode!

Cram it.

9. #29 / 29
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn