209 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 16
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Do we have a board that's medium to large sized with aggressive continent bonuses, severe continent bottlenecks, +2 cards and Simultaneous territory selection but Automatic unit placement?

e^ix=cos x + i*sin x. Tell your friends.

2. #2 / 16
    Standard Member j-bomb
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

anarchy is kinda like that.

3. #3 / 16
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Apocalypse Soon

Join the Cult of RiskyBack...it's fun and the Kool Aid is YUMMY!

4. #4 / 16
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I've been thinking of making a scenario for Invention without capitals at all, so I could copy and mod this scenario: http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/3165

and add +2 cards and Simultaneous territory selection & Automatic unit placement, if you want me to.

Might take a week or two for me to get it done (mostly to update the graphics).  Alternatively i could skip the removal of capitals and have it done sooner.

Edited Fri 3rd Feb 23:30 [history]

5. #5 / 16
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

By automatic unit placement, you mean placement using factories, right?

Most designers use factories to create sophisticated mechanisms a la Ed N, or further the story line: bullets in the gun,  oil in the well, etc.

If I understand your question, Anarchy does what you describe, but of course it has a whacky inverted production scheme, so it (kind of) doesn't count.  Apocalypse Soon doesn't does have factories, does it?  Or are armies auto placed on the ships/subs?  I can't remember.

When the idea of factories was proposed, I was calling it "fertility" because I was envisioning continents producing armies that players could only place on those continents.  I'm pretty sure I described that aspect of the feature, but it didn't come to fruition.  I realized at the time that it would have  been difficult to pull off in the player, so I didn't have high expectations.  Besides, I can think of a way to jury-rig that kind of scenario using a combination of existing features, though it's kind of messy and might require capitals.

But yes, I agree.. we need more.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Sat 4th Feb 07:04 [history]

6. #6 / 16
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

"Unit Placement" and "Territory Selection" are settings on a map that can be set to "Automatic" or "Simultaneous". So, nothing factory-related. I would like to see experiments with the Anarchy theme and 1-way borders, but that's more of a "what would be cool is" instead of a "we should have".

(Sorry about the ambiguity - I've also posted not realizing the poster was referring to specific settings.)

Apocalypse Soon is the closest I've seen to what I'm describing. Oz, that map isn't quite as bounus-aggressive or bottlenecky as what I'm saying, but I do think something like that with Simul Territory selection would be fun. (There are good bottlenecks!)

7. #7 / 16
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Let me see if I can describe it even better: By aggressive continent bonuses, I mean there would be single countries that are +2 continents, some that are +1, maybe some two-country +1's and +2's. Maybe these countries would be arranged around a body of water, so that bottlenecks form from the almost 1-d nature of the board. There might be some larger +3-+5 continents. I'm not saying there has to be a 1-way border out of a silly +3 single-country continent, but... You know what I'm getting at :)

8. #8 / 16
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

There are only a few Turn Based territory selection maps; a single Micro Mission scenario comes to mind.

I'm sure there are some, but I can't even think of a map that uses Simultaneous territory selection.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

9. #9 / 16
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Ancient Isles of Kjeldor

10. #10 / 16
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

And Hordes of China

11. #11 / 16
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm thinking of making a scenario with simultaneous territory select and unit placement for the new Total WarGear II map, as well, though that's not as interesting because all the islands are more or less the same.

12. #12 / 16
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:

And Hordes of China

Hordes is the anti-bottleneck, but this intriguing in its own way. Will try.

13. #13 / 16
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

And Pluto 2210, http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Pluto+2210

Although I didn't think it fill the rest of your descriptions.  I tried to have slightly different settings with my 2210  boards (and my other boards as well).

14. #14 / 16
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I have a Catan board in the pipeline that might meet this description. 

Ad Extremum Omnia Sunt Limosus

15. #15 / 16
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Cool. These were pretty fun to play by the way.

16. #16 / 16
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ill plug my own board here :) Atomic Transporters has big bonuses +4 up to +10 for owning only 2 territories (if you own the transports of the same color) and the choke points are self explanatory. the rest of the criteria you are looking for may not apply to this board... 

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)