224 Open Daily games
4 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 23
    Standard Member Andros
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

First of all id like to say what a great site this is. Really enjoying playing so far.

I started designing a map much like Risk as that is what i enjoy most. I just wanted to make it different from Wargear warfare, which is closest adaptaion to what ive played in past. However i then read help page that explained too many risk boards will be rejected.

Should I develop new Risk board?

or

Am I allowed to make new scenario for someone elses board as the map for wargear warfare fits bill?

also

Which others are most like original board game risk?

Edited Mon 2nd Jan 15:41 [history]

2. #2 / 23
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

"Wargear Warfare" and "War"are the two boards that basically cover that area.. With the exception of a border here and there, they are essentially identical, and there does seem to be a consensus that there is no need to have boards that are mechanically and functionally the same just because they might "look" different, thought I personally feel that there is room for an "exceptional" offering.

That said, there is no reason that you can't make any kind of board you like and play it privately with friends. 

As far as scenarios are concerned.. Generally scenarios "ship with" or are "attached to" their parent board, and I think that most designers would prefer that they stay that way, but again, I see no reason that you coulddn't download a board's image and make a "private" scenario for your own use with friends or family, though this is a lot of work just to make a scenario, and the games wouldn't "count".   On the other hand, this may be a great way to learn how to make a board.

If you have a scenario that you would like to see for a board, then I would suggest asking the designer.  They may make it for you, or perhaps make it with your help, depending on what you had in mind.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

3. #3 / 23
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

What about some minor rule mod.  Like what if you want to play the standard risk board with return to attack from transfer & where you can hold unlimited cards.   It seems like it should be ok for someone to make that map, but really ideally it would just be a scenario on an existing 'Risk' map.  But there is no easy/good way to do that.

I've thought about making a standard risk map with gobs of scenarios that each have slightly different rules (like the example above).  Is that a good solution?  If Andros or anyone else is interested in a certain scenario, I'd be happy to include it.

4. #4 / 23
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

You make some good points O.  Either WarGear Warfare should have a number of scenarios, or there should be a map that does.

..or when the game is created, many of these options should be available in the player, much like the way the game creator can set the amount of fog in a game.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.

5. #5 / 23
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Oh yeah -- there's also Global Warfare. I have to say that given the new designer features (just in terms of board layers) I think there is room for at least one more map.

6. #6 / 23
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

I think there is room for at least one more map.

It would have to be an EXCEPTIONAL map if it's another Risk clone.

7. #7 / 23
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Maybe so ..but you wouldn't you agree that even the very best "clone" map on this site is not visually "exceptional" by most any standard?

Edited Mon 2nd Jan 19:50 [history]

8. #8 / 23
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hmmm.. Sounds like it could be a great competition.. a "YouKnowWhat" cloning contest.  All boards are played in Beta.  Winner's map goes live.

9. #9 / 23
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Andros wrote:

Should I develop new Risk board?

Most likely not.  If it was visually stunning and/or had a unique twist then possibly.  (See Australian Risk for a Risk board with a cool twist)

Am I allowed to make new scenario for someone elses board as the map for wargear warfare fits bill?

Only the board's designer can add scenarios to the board.

Which others are most like original board game risk?

Australian Risk, Battle USA (but has a big elimination bonus), Colossal Crusade. Doom's Myths and Legends, Europe 1560, German Wargear, Millennium Falcon, Notebook Paper Dungeon, World War (but has overlapping continents) -- and others

Edited Mon 2nd Jan 21:14 [history]

10. #10 / 23
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Hmmm.. Sounds like it could be a great competition.. a "YouKnowWhat" cloning contest.  All boards are played in Beta.  Winner's map goes live.

I personally wouldn't spend the time on a board if I thought there was a good chance it would never go live.

11. #11 / 23
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

What about some minor rule mod.  Like what if you want to play the standard risk board with return to attack from transfer & where you can hold unlimited cards.   It seems like it should be ok for someone to make that map, but really ideally it would just be a scenario on an existing 'Risk' map.  But there is no easy/good way to do that.

I've thought about making a standard risk map with gobs of scenarios that each have slightly different rules (like the example above).  Is that a good solution?  If Andros or anyone else is interested in a certain scenario, I'd be happy to include it.

what about simply having tom (or whomever created that board) to put in a scenario opening up all those options to be available to choose from. it's been a while since i've been in the designer, and can't remember if those options are publically available to tweak. but would be a nice idea for a lot of boards to have a 'unlocked' scenario where basically anything rules oriented can be tweaked.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

12. #12 / 23
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

If you have a scenario that you would like to see for a board, then I would suggest asking the designer.  They may make it for you, or perhaps make it with your help, depending on what you had in mind.

this is the way to proceed with an already established board

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

13. #13 / 23
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I agree that for the Risk-like boards this should be done as a scenario, there's no value in having functionally identical boards with different images as separate boards.

If you've got a great new design for the Risk board then it's possible this would be worthwhile for inclusion but it would make sense to try and come up with a slightly new twist on it.

As for rule changes in new scenarios for the WarGear Warfare board, Toaster is the designer and I would think would be receptive to setting up new scenarios?

14. #14 / 23
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

As for rule changes in new scenarios for the WarGear Warfare board, Toaster is the designer and I would think would be receptive to setting up new scenarios?

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1239/Favorite_House_Rules

15. #15 / 23
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

This may be a good way to give the Global Warfare board a reason for living.  Make that the one with all the different scenarios and leave WarGear Warfare as the straight-up classic.

Suggested Scenarios -

No cards

1 fortify to any connected

3 fortifies to any adjacent

Return to attack from placement

16. #16 / 23
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Could be a good idea!

17. #17 / 23
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Personally, with the layers that designers can work with now, I think the site actually needs another "standard" map.  And I still think a competition might be a good idea.  The prospect of working on a map only to have it not go live is the down-side.  But the upside is that the winner is likely to end up with one of the most popular and widely played boards on the site.

Here's an alternative.. How about a competition for "standard" maps that use the "standard" borders, that would be added as scenarios to the existing board.

Another option would be to create a new board with multiple scenarios featuring different designers, all using the "standard" borders, not unlike the way I have two identical scenarios for Anarchy -- but they use two very different maps.

18. #18 / 23
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Not knocking what you are saying M in general, it's just more than what is needed for this.

It would not take a lot of work to turn Global Warfare from a circle map to a layer map.  Just do that so it looks better and then add some basic scenarios. 

If someone has a scenario they want they can ask Tom for the .xml file, create their own and Tom can put it in.

19. #19 / 23
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Global Warfare is hardly used any more, WarGear Warfare is the de-facto standard map for this site and easily the most popular.

It could be nice to do an updated graphics version taking advantage of the latest features + add a bunch of fun scenarios for variety. 

20. #20 / 23
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

It could be nice to do an updated graphics version taking advantage of the latest features 

Didn't that occur with WarGear Warfare (it replaced Global) and Global Warfare ended up coming back? 

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)