232 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 23
    Standard Member Paquito
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Has anyone considered making an HTML5 version of this site? The new canvas element seems like it would be the perfect replacement for the Flash implementation on this site.

According to people I've spoken to on warfish, and friends I've gotten to try this site, problems with Flash are often the primary reason people aren't on here regularly.  Making this leap would be huge, I highly recommend it.

If you haven't seen this yet, it's well worth checking out

48 potential flash-killing demos 

2. #2 / 23
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I think HTML5 is probably the fastest way to get iPhone compatibility going. That said, I think Tom is largely reusing pre-existing Flash components right now; with HTML5, there's a bit more "reinventing the wheel" going on since developers haven't had the time to come up with a rich toolkit of examples to crib from yet. There's also the small matter of HTML5 not being finalized - every browser seems to want to implement certain elements just a bit differently than the rest.

In the long term, it might not be a bad idea, though. Definitely something worth tinkering with at the margins.

asm and RiskyBack wrote:
    I... can't find anything wrong with this line of reasoning...

3. #3 / 23
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That's a pretty cool link!

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

4. #4 / 23
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

It's definitely something that I would like to have working this year... it's a pretty big piece of work though, I'd guess 3-6 months effort during which not much else could be worked on. I agree that HTML5 is probably the best way to go to allow support on non-Flash devices esp. phones.

5. #5 / 23
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I would like my name changed to Tomte, please.

People Always Leave

6. #6 / 23
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tomte and monkeys are at completely different ends of the spectrum...why the flipflop?

and i'd like to know where RB originated. after you dropped that question i've been wracking my brain for a connection to something.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

7. #7 / 23
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Really?  It actually came from a game name on ToS when I first started playing.  The game was called "Bringing Risky Back!" from the Justin Timberlake song Sexy Back.  When I started making maps I decided I needed to stick with 1 name and I picked RiskyBack because it was funny at the time.

The monkey thing comes from me having a BS in Primatology and this is the only way I use my degree.

People Always Leave
    Edited Thu 17th Feb 12:36 [history]

8. #8 / 23
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

The monkey thing comes from me having a BS in Primatology and this is the only way I use my degree.

LOL!

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

9. #9 / 23
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

That sounds like an really fun degree to earn, but yeah I can see where it would be hard to get a job where it is applicable. 

10. #10 / 23
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Well I did just explain all the bones in my cat's head to her.  She seemed quite interested until she started licking her butt.

People Always Leave

11. #11 / 23
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i knew the monkey thing was your interest in primates, don't know if i every played that board. and i refuse to listen to that kind of music. my knowledge of his music ends with my knowing his name. :^D

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

12. #12 / 23
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

Well I did just explain all the bones in my cat's head to her.  She seemed quite interested until she started licking her butt.

i think you and my wife might get along well...not just for the fact that you both actually talk to cats like they listen and think so highly of primates that you'd love to go spend some time living with them ala sirgourney weaver (which incidently would actually be kewl - oh wait that was fossey not goodall, she wanted to be more like goodall) tho my wife's BA was in anthro.

well maybe just for those reasons.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

13. #13 / 23
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

My degree is in Anthropology officially but my specialization was in primate evolution and adaptation and the school called it Primatology but the degree says Anthropology.  I am more of a Birute Galdicas fan myself because most of my research and study focused on Orangutans because they are cool and have long Rolly Fingers Mustaches.

People Always Leave

14. #14 / 23
    Standard Member Paquito
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

It's definitely something that I would like to have working this year... it's a pretty big piece of work though, I'd guess 3-6 months effort during which not much else could be worked on. I agree that HTML5 is probably the best way to go to allow support on non-Flash devices esp. phones.

Great to hear! I don't know what other enhancements are on your queue (I suppose I can skim this forum to find out), but I think the site's at the point where you can leave it alone for a bit while you work on a major revision.

15. #15 / 23
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I just wanted to say that I also encourage this and also have spoken with those who would come over if it were HTML 5-based instead of Flash. I don't mind the Flash at all, but I'm not really a bleeding-edge technology guy who uses portable devices. 

16. #16 / 23
    Standard Member Paquito
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Epic bump. I haven't been here for a while :) Are we still stuck with Flash these days?

17. #17 / 23
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

No, there's the Native player (you'll see the icon to launch this on the game View page) which is HTML5 based. You can also set this to be the default player.

My next piece of work is to iron out any remaining bugs in the Native (HTML5) player and change it to be the default player so Flash can die a graceful death :)

18. #18 / 23
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

My degree is in Anthropology officially but my specialization was in primate evolution and adaptation and the school called it Primatology but the degree says Anthropology.  I am more of a Birute Galdicas fan myself because most of my research and study focused on Orangutans because they are cool and have long Rolly Fingers Mustaches.

I also have an Anthroplogy degree, and although Anthro degrees tend to be quite holistic, I focused mine towards the side of physical Anthropology as best I could and especially focused on Archaeology, forensic osteology, and early hominid evolution, which of course led me to taking some human evolutionary ecology and Primatology courses.  Since I relocated to Africa, which was originally to study field methodologies for Archaeology, I have since had quite a few opportunities to utilize my Primatological knowledge, specifically while doing human wildlife conflict/ecological studies/census for a variety of primate species.  So, you never know, that degree could still come in handy!

19. #19 / 23
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

There's a whole lot of ..ologies in that last post.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

20. #20 / 23
    Standard Member Paquito
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

No, there's the Native player (you'll see the icon to launch this on the game View page) which is HTML5 based. You can also set this to be the default player.

My next piece of work is to iron out any remaining bugs in the Native (HTML5) player and change it to be the default player so Flash can die a graceful death :)

Yay! I'm going to try to pull in some friends that couldn't play on this site because of flash again.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)