1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   123456789»»»   (14 in total)
  1. #61 / 265
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Should be fixed now, thanks as usual Yertle :)

2. #62 / 265
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: 
    10 mins (lightning)
    2 days (default)
    5 days (extended)

What do you think?
    Hugh wrote: 
    Not complaining or campaigning for immediate change or anything like that

Reverse psychology works again! Just kidding - while I believe experienced users can handle just about any gradation of time, as ENygma was suggesting, the current population as a whole may not be ready, so this I think handles all of our previous complaints. As always, thanks, and I do look forward to the alluded to chessclock style.

3. #63 / 265
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The warning message at the join screen still says 15 mins.

4. #64 / 265
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Good spot thanks - fixed.

5. #65 / 265
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Can we have the ability to change our colour during the join phase after you have joined but before the game has started?

6. #66 / 265
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

As well - the ability to create an unranked game, that lets you invite people, but open up the other spots to the rest of warfish?

7. #67 / 265
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Andernut wrote: As well - the ability to create an unranked game, that lets you invite people, but open up the other spots to the rest of warfish?

I like this idea, though I think we should start just with the rest of _Wargear_ Wink  

8. #68 / 265
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Hmmm lightning mode. You have two diametrically opposed time constraints: you need a certain amount of time to take your turn, but that time is multiplied by number of players * number of turns in the game to get a total time for the game.

I think the only way it would really work well is with a chat feature and a flash player that shows you your opponents moves in real time, in combination with both a per-turn timer and a total game time timer.

Chat + player updating would serve to hold interest while it is not your turn, and a total game time timer would prevent the 14 1/2 minute BS mentioned in a previous post.

Then you could really push the game into lightning territory with 2 minute turn times. Strategerize while it's not your turn, maybe add an extra 5 seconds in for each attack/transfer action you perform to account for turns with lots of moves.

In any case you could push the realistic short game player limit up from the current 2-3 to 5-6.

nom-nom-nom_medium.jpg

9. #69 / 265
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

IRoll11s wrote: 
    .....maybe add an extra 5 seconds in for each attack/transfer action you perform to account for turns with lots of moves.

This is an excellent suggestion!  Chess and Go often use delays for the clock to start or time additions to account for long games.  Yet, the only reason for a long turn in those games is thought, whereas here a long turn can be forced by needing to attack many places.   This is down the road of course, but this will be remembered when it comes up again.

10. #70 / 265
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Go - good game. Also, _wargear_ yes.

11. #71 / 265
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

IRoll11s wrote:
    In any case you could push the realistic short game player limit up from the current 2-3 to 5-6.

I agree that what you outline is a phenomenal plan.

However, I maintain that all we'd need to accomplish this particular quoted end goal would be a live chat sidebar on the site (without having to get into all that dynamic flash interface just yet). There are plenty of 5-man lightning games I'd join right now if I knew they would start soon, which if you could arrange them in chat you could be confident in.

It's a trap!

12. #72 / 265
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I second the Live Chat :)

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

Seek Yours Today. Get Uncomfortable.

13. #73 / 265
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Andernut wrote: Can we have the ability to change our colour during the join phase after you have joined but before the game has started?

You can just leave the game then rejoin it (although this doesn't work for private games admittedly).

14. #74 / 265
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Good ideas re: an update to lightning mode - ps it's 10 minutes per turn now, not 15.

Yertle's found a great Ajax chat client, just a question of integrating it into the site.

15. #75 / 265
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    Andernut wrote: Can we have the ability to change our colour during the join phase after you have joined but before the game has started?

You can just leave the game then rejoin it (although this doesn't work for private games admittedly).

Doesn't work if you're the Host either.

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

16. #76 / 265
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

I was referring not only to private games, but if you are the host of a game and someone has joined it.

Edit - Totally missed Yertle's post, so yeah, what he said.

Edited Fri 19th Mar 10:20 [history]

17. #77 / 265
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

No problem I'll update the join page.

18. #78 / 265
    Standard Member StepOnMe
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Andernut wrote: Auto-skip saves you once, but you still lose your turn. This is why I want the players to be able to exert control over the boot-process.

Having your turn skipped isn't AS bad as losing, but having your turn skipped will often translate to a loss anyways. I don't think auto-skip is a solution to the week-end dilemma.

Apologies at the forefront in case I missed this anywhere else...there's a lot of threads to go through even with the search feature!

In regards to the weekend dilemma, what about a weekend vacation feature that all members (not just premium) could set?  The parameters could be that it's only available starting Friday @ noon and ends Monday morning/afternoon and that can only be used once every 2 weeks/3 weeks/month or maybe every weekend as a perk for premium members.

~StepOnMe - there's none like her!

19. #79 / 265
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

StepOnMe wrote:

In regards to the weekend dilemma, what about a weekend vacation feature that all members (not just premium) could set?  The parameters could be that it's only available starting Friday @ noon and ends Monday morning/afternoon and that can only be used once every 2 weeks/3 weeks/month or maybe every weekend as a perk for premium members.

So just hose those that work on the "weekend" of Friday/Saturday/Sunday and are off Tuesday and Wednesday?  {#emotions_dlg.razz}  Sort of just kidding, but I think it's also semi-valid that not everyone's "weekend" is going to be the same.  To somehow account for this really just results in a feature like Vacation Period, sooo....

Not to mention, this could potentially slow down games even further since someone that should be skipped wouldn't be and maybe the next person in the game is quickest on the weekends, so he kind of gets hosed as well.

Not that I'm against some sort of "weekend" functionality (as I sometimes set a precautionary Vacation for Sunday/Monday if it may be needed, if not then I cancel it), just not sure it's really needed or in the end would be truly beneficial.

What's Your Passion?

20. #80 / 265
    Standard Member StepOnMe
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:  So just hose those that work on the "weekend" of Friday/Saturday/Sunday and are off Tuesday and Wednesday?  {#emotions_dlg.razz}  Sort of just kidding, but I think it's also semi-valid that not everyone's "weekend" is going to be the same.  To somehow account for this really just results in a feature like Vacation Period, sooo....

Very true about everyone's weekends not being the same, but I think Andernut was just referring to those weekends when you actually have limited/no internet access.  So if said feature was implemented, it wouldn't take away your vacation time and could be restricted to once a month of whatever would seem most reasonable.

Yertle wrote:  Not to mention, this could potentially slow down games even further since someone that should be skipped wouldn't be and maybe the next person in the game is quickest on the weekends, so he kind of gets hosed as well.

Good point, but doesn't this same thing happen in regular games?  One player might check in once every one or two days while another checks in multiple times in a day.  Players would eventually have to realize, just like they do with vacation, that they'll just have to wait a little longer before they can take their turn.  If they're truly bored & can't wait, they can easily go start more games!  {#emotions_dlg.disturbed}

~StepOnMe - there's none like her!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123456789»»»   (14 in total)