206 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #1 / 55
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Okay, I'm in a game - I check it everyday, it hadn't been my turn on Friday the last time I was in the game, I log in on Saturday and see I've been booted.  Seriously?

There needs to be a major disclaimer if you're automatically booted from a game in that amount of time.   Especially in the infancy of this site, I want to try some games out, test the waters - but not if logging in once a day still gets you booted in an 8 player game.

I see now the boot time is 12 hours.  I think there should be a flashing warning if the website is going to boot you after 12 hours of it being your turn.

Edited Sat 14th Nov 23:25 [history]

2. #2 / 55
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I could drop the 12 hour boot time option altogether, it is a little tough. What do you think?

3. #3 / 55
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

that's pretty extreme, at least now when there aren't that many games in the queue ever. someday, when the place is hopping and there are 20+ games to choose from, then i can see allowing very short boot/skip times, as long as that is one of the game characteristics that shows up in the queue widget.

4. #4 / 55
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Fair point guys - I dropped the 1 day option.

In the future when the site is busier I'd like to introduce the concept of real time play that Conquer club has - basically this is just boot times around the 15 minute mark which means you can complete an entire game in an evening.

Could also be cool to apply a short boot time to an entire tournament :)

5. #5 / 55
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I meant to suggest the possibility of blitz play with very short (even 1-2 minutes) boot times. It would be a very exciting way to play and you get to play a lot of games this way. An entire tournament could last only a few hours.

I too got the 12-hour boot out of ignorance and was displeased, so some sort of warning would be nice for shorter play or even just straight autoboot.

-Hugh

6. #6 / 55
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

boot time should be an option of the host creating the game (not sure if it is or not as i haven't started one yet). its something something easy to see when joining a game as it is right now, so the prospective player should be able to decide/not decide to play that particular game.

to me its your own fault if you join a game and didn't look at the boot time - granted there are extreme circumstances, but...

7. #7 / 55
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

What happens if you are in the middle of your turn and the boot timer hits?

8. #8 / 55
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

"Turn-in-progress" usually does not protect you from boot attempts, I imagine that auto-boot would act the same way.

9. #9 / 55
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote: boot time should be an option of the host creating the game (not sure if it is or not as i haven't started one yet). its something something easy to see when joining a game as it is right now, so the prospective player should be able to decide/not decide to play that particular game.

to me its your own fault if you join a game and didn't look at the boot time - granted there are extreme circumstances, but...

True, but it should be more obvious, many people just join games - I think boot times set to less than a day should always flash red. 

But keep in mind, auto-boot is far more harsh than the boot system we had with the other site.  12 hour auto-boot has far more strength than 12-hour boot time.  I like the idea of auto-boot, but think at this time people probably can modify that field to low boot-times simply to boost their wins right now. 

10. #10 / 55
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Auto-Boot may go down down as a loss (I assume it does), but at least there are not currently and long standing effects of Boots (like never being able to join a Ranked game because you have 1 boot).

11. #11 / 55
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

I also ran into this last week. Thanks for changing it Tom!

12. #12 / 55
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I was thinking about this today, shouldn't Andernut have had 1 day to take his turn before he was Auto Booted? Everyone starts out as a Premium Member for 30 days currently, so he should have had double the boot time before he was Booted (and/or Skipped I believe), but I assume he was booted at the 12 hour mark (I don't think I can tell without a written History).

Confirmation that the Double Boot Time for Premium Members is working correctly might be good to know, as I think I tested this in a game and the Premium Member was skipped at 12 hours (I assume he would be Booted at 12 hours as well).

13. #13 / 55
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

hi Yertle - there was a bug there which I fixed on Monday - should be correct now though, when did you test this?

14. #14 / 55
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Last week. Thanks!

15. #15 / 55
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: hi Yertle - there was a bug there which I fixed on Monday - should be correct now though, when did you test this?

Question now then...

Currently in this Gotham game the Boot Interval is set to 12 hours and the Automatic Boot Type is set to Auto-Skip.  It has been Joskha's turn for 1 day, shouldn't he be skipped by now?  Or did you turn all the existing 12 hours into 1 days (or something else?) so that he gets 2 days?

(I really don't mind his 1 day time, and would be fine with giving him extra days, so don't go skip him manually or anything, just looking to see if there is a Bug somewhere.  I've got a game going testing this too, but of course it takes 1-2+ days before actually seeing the result.)

16. #16 / 55
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: hi Yertle - there was a bug there which I fixed on Monday - should be correct now though, when did you test this?

And will we edit out awful bugged-boots and potentially skewed win percentage with a player wipe or am I stuck with a boot forever? Oh the injustice!

17. #17 / 55
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I'll check the Autoskip on that game... and Andernut I'll wipe your boot record, sorry though you will have to live with the skewed win percentage, it will cause problems with the site stats unless the game is terminated or deleted.

18. #18 / 55
    Standard Member Mostly Harmless
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I have to concur with the original post...  I was just auto-booted in 
    a game that I had invested a few weeks in and was doing pretty well.
    Very frustrating. I am a warfish player with an average turn time of
    under one hour for over 150 games. I don't hold up games. I'm just
    guilty of having a particularly busy day and not realizing there was
    such a thing as "auto-boot".

I have to question why an auto-boot option anyway?

I understand the desire to move games along-- it's been my greatest
    frustration on warfish in recent months. But, if you feel there
    really needs to be a more aggressive boot policy, perhaps replace
    auto-boot with something that lets any player do a forced boot after
    the time-interval. That allows the people playing the game to decide
    who the rule should be enforced against. We know when someone is
    regularly holding up a game or not and when a slow turn is an
    exception for that player. And, more importantly, we know when we
    care or not. Hell, I don't want to win a game because four of the
    seven people playing were booted (as happened in my game). I'd be
    particularly upset if I had played a long game and won because the
    last person was auto-booted.

At the very least, warn people before they join a game with a
    short auto-boot time interval and/or send them a reminder email during the
    day. I imagine there are a lot of people coming from warfish who will
    be blind-sided by this concept without some kind of warning.

Yea, maybe this was a fluke experience, but it was my first game on
    wargear and I have to say it left me discouraged wanting to play again.

p.s. Strange, I cut-n-pasted this from another window and it totally changed the
    appearance of my post.

Edited Sun 13th Dec 21:49 [history]

19. #19 / 55
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Without addressing too much more of that post, I will say that I agree that the "autoboot type" should be displayed on the Join Game page similarly to how it's displayed on the active game Info page.

Cramchakle wrote: [anything]
    I agree

20. #20 / 55
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

hiya MH - that boot time (1 day) and boot type (AutoBoot) are both no longer available in Public games so it should not be a problem in future. SOrry that is has affected your game, it was one of the original settings available when the site went live but due to feedback like yours it has been changed.

The current settings for non-lightning (i.e. real time) games are 2 day turn time and AutoSkip. This means after 2 days your turn is skipped, and if on your next turn you also get to 2 days then and only then are you Autobooted. If you go back to taking your turns then subsequently you'll only be auto-skipped again so it should be pretty hard to get booted automatically unless you disappear for 4 days without setting a vacation period.

Anyway sorry it's negatively affected your experience of WarGear but hopefully going forward this shouldn't happen.

cheers

Tom

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)