229 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 7
    Standard Member Abraham the Mage
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Just thought of a few things which may be helpful to players. Don't know how possible they are to implement, though.

1) A way to leave a message in game you create, for example if you want to warn prospective opponents about a feature, such as clock type or fog

2) A way to show your tourney record in-game, maybe next to your board rank?

Edited Sun 24th Sep 11:16 [history]

2. #2 / 7
    Standard Member agwyvern
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Abraham the Mage wrote:Just thought of a few things which may be helpful to players. Don't know how possible they are to implement, though.
    1) A way to leave a message in game you create, for example if you want to warn prospective opponents about a feature, such as clock type or fog
    2) A way to show your tourney record in-game, maybe next to your board rank?

1) I can see the benefit of that -- basically, adding a field in the game setup page for posting a message to all players. I know some will say "well, people should pay attention to the board settings", but especially in the case of a Fischer clock game set to, shall we say, 'challenging' settings, it's a good way to fend off complaints about the unfairness of a board setup.

2) That would just be depressing for us cannon-fodder types 🙃

3. #3 / 7
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

1 is available already. You can write messages in games you yourself have entered, which includes the ones you make.

Some also use game name for this kind of information.

Edited Mon 25th Sep 08:38 [history]

4. #4 / 7
    Standard Member agwyvern
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:1 is available already. You can write messages in games you yourself have entered, which includes the ones you make.

Some also use game name for this kind of information.

What I meant (and what I think AtG meant) for #1 is on the Create Game page, being able to enter the message there.

That way the creator has time to put the message in place.

I've been caught out a couple of times putting in an initial message while waiting for a player to join, who joined too fast :-)

In other words, being able to put a clear and (in some cases) detailed message in place for the person to see when they first go to join the game would be helpful.

And yes, it helps to put some detail in the game name. But I think many people simply ignore the game name since some people here make a point of acting like obnoxious children and use it as an insult banner.

5. #5 / 7
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

One consideration that became an important part of discussions when this site was forming was the importance of keeping the Create Game page as simple and uncluttered as possible so potential game creators wouldn't be intimidated/overwhelmed by the # of options. So keeping that in mind..

If they're not going to read the game name, they certainly aren't going to read an extra message. As far being late putting in the message in the chat is concerned, we're talking a few minutes at most, right? If it's that concerning, simply pre-compose the message in a text editor and have it ready to copy paste as an in-game message. Yeah, it's a workaround, but a few seconds of delay should be tolerable.

6. #6 / 7
    Standard Member agwyvern
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:One consideration that became an important part of discussions when this site was forming was the importance of keeping the Create Game page as simple and uncluttered as possible so potential game creators wouldn't be intimidated/overwhelmed by the # of options. So keeping that in mind..

If they're not going to read the game name, they certainly aren't going to read an extra message. As far being late putting in the message in the chat is concerned, we're talking a few minutes at most, right? If it's that concerning, simply pre-compose the message in a text editor and have it ready to copy paste as an in-game message. Yeah, it's a workaround, but a few seconds of delay should be tolerable.

For most games, not a worry.

Yes, I've taken to composing the message in a text editor.

Yes, people have complained because they didn't notice the rules before clicking Join Game.

The one problem with posting the message in-game is that it doesn't appear to the other player unless they refresh their screen (at least that's what happens to me).

So, looping back to the first sentence - "For most games, not a worry"

The games that AtG and I are thinking of are Fischer clock real-time games set up either as Chess Clock games (sometimes set as low as 3mins per player) or really-fast Fischer games (e.g. 3m/15s/3m or similar). Those seconds of delay can be ouchy :-)

7. #7 / 7
    Standard Member Abraham the Mage
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

agwyvern wrote: The games that AtG and I are thinking of are Fischer clock real-time games set up either as Chess Clock games (sometimes set as low as 3mins per player) or really-fast Fischer games (e.g. 3m/15s/3m or similar). Those seconds of delay can be ouchy :-)

Yeah. But thanks for suggestion about using the game name to warn opponents - surprised I didn't think of that myself.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)