219 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 13
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Is one of your favorite movies seriously underappreciated? Please share the movie with a brief description so the rest of us can decide if its one we want to watch.

The Drop came out in 2014 and did not get the recognition it deserved. This movie has Tom Hardy and James Gandolfini (Sopranos) in his last role, RIP. This movie sprinkles a little bit of, Crime, Drama, Action, Thriller, with out going too much in any one direction. It weaves together a unique story and has phenomenal acting by pretty much the whole cast. It is a breath of fresh air amongst the movies of today - overly dramatic, action packed, fight to the death every 4th scene, etc.

"Bob Saginowski finds himself at the center of a robbery gone awry and entwined in an investigation that digs deeply into the neighborhood's past where friends, families, and foes all work together to make a living--no matter the cost."

Please post your hidden gem. I look forward to watching them!

2. #2 / 13
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Here are a few that come to mind. Not sure if they are "under" rated of simply "not" rated.

"The Voices" with Ryan Reynolds before he was famous. Definitely a dark comedy/drama. Also from 2014.

"You're Next". Home invasion horror-type movie but well done. 2011

"The Tall Guy" Jeff Goldblum. Quirky rom-comedy. 1989

"Bubba Ho-Tep" with Bruce Campbell. Hard to describe - definitely off-beat. From 2002.

I've got more.

3. #3 / 13
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I don't know that I'd call it underrated, because it scores well in IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes (90+ in both), but I regularly recommend it because it is crazily well done, and different than many movies you normally watch, but people have never even heard of it:

Momento.(2000) Stars Guy Pearce (LA Confidential, Ironman 3, etc) and Carrie Anne Moss (Matrix). Leonard cannot create new long term memories, only short term memory, but he's trying to solve the murder of his wife, which is the last fact in his long term memory. In order to keep the true facts of the story a secret from the audience, half of the movie is being shown in 5-10 minute scenes that are sorted in reverse chronological order, so the audience is learning facts in time with Leonard.

Fun Fact: I have the special edition DVD of the movie, which has a special menu with questions and a puzzle that when solved allow you to unlock a second copy of the movie that shows the entire movie chronological order, which is fun to watch after you've seen the original version.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another movie that I love dearly, gets amazing ratings (also 90+ on both IMDB and Rotten), but so many people don't know it even exists.

Once.(2007) Movie set in Dublin Ireland where a vacuum repairman (Glen Hansard) who is also a busker with dreams of being a real musician meets a Czech immigrant (Marketa Irglova) who is a singer/songwriter/piano player. The two of them collaborate and compose music together about their own experience falling in love. It set the bar for the modern day musical.

Edited Tue 16th May 11:47 [history]

4. #4 / 13
    Standard Member agwyvern
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Howard The Duck - Widely panned, and one of the biggest complaints about it after all the initial hype was "it's a guy in a duck suit". To which a friend correctly noted "Yeah, but WHAT a duck suit!!!".

Ishtar - Widely panned, and one of the biggest complaints about it after all the initial hype was "they can't sing". Heck, it was being lauded (before it screened) as a return to the Road movies of Hope and Crosby, and then after it screened people were disappointed that it was a return to the Road movies of Hope and Crosby.

One of my favourite movies was not horribly lambasted, but still remains unknown to many people, is Mystery Men. I watch it every couple of years :-) Lots of fun.

5. #5 / 13
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Nice list here. Out of those mentioned by others, I've only seen Momento. I've got some watching to do. I've heard of Howard the Duck but have had no clue what was going on with that lol

6. #6 / 13
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:
    Fun Fact: I have the special edition DVD of the movie, which has a special menu with questions and a puzzle that when solved allow you to unlock a second copy of the movie that shows the entire movie chronological order, which is fun to watch after you've seen the original version.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's perfectly fitting and awesome that they went out of their way to do that.

7. #7 / 13
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Abishai wrote:I've heard of Howard the Duck but have had no clue what was going on with that lol

Think Masters of the Universe crossed with ET with a splash of Big...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Wed 17th May 16:31 [history]

8. #8 / 13
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:Abishai wrote:I've heard of Howard the Duck but have had no clue what was going on with that lol

Think Masters of the Universe crossed with ET with a splash of Big...

Yeah ET.....except there's almost a cross-species sex scene with Lea Thompson...and it's creepy. Doesn't matter how attractive that 80'S Hair Lea Thompson is......Howard IS STILL a duck.....

9. #9 / 13
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Abishai wrote:Nice list here. Out of those mentioned by others, I've only seen Momento.

Which also stars the great character actor Joe Pantoliano. He has been in a ton of movies and is always entertaining.

Some other movies he is in which I have seen and recommend:

Bound (1996) (Mobster's girlfriend falls for another woman. Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon smoke up the screen. )

The Matrix (Well known and certainly not underrated),

Eddie and the Cruisers (personal favorite - story of a rock band from the 50's),

Risky Business (Launched Tom Cruise to stardom, and is just a well shot/directed film with a subversive tone.)

The Goonies (Classic '80's kids action adventure)

10. #10 / 13
    Tournament Tender hootz72
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:Abishai wrote:Nice list here. Out of those mentioned by others, I've only seen Momento.

Which also stars the great character actor Joe Pantoliano. He has been in a ton of movies and is always entertaining.

Some other movies he is in which I have seen and recommend:

Bound (1996) (Mobster's girlfriend falls for another woman. Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon smoke up the screen. )
    The Matrix (Well known and certainly not underrated),
    Eddie and the Cruisers (personal favorite - story of a rock band from the 50's),
    Risky Business (Launched Tom Cruise to stardom, and is just a well shot/directed film with a subversive tone.)
    The Goonies (Classic '80's kids action adventure)

How could you not include Midnight Run (1988) for Joey Pants' flick list? Talk about underrated movies. Charles Grodin's deadpan vs DeNiro. I would be embarrassed to count the times I have watched and laughed at same scenes over and over.

"Just sayin', it's easy to get humble around here."

11. #11 / 13
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

hootz72 wrote:
    How could you not include Midnight Run (1988) for Joey Pants' flick list? Talk about underrated movies. Charles Grodin's deadpan vs DeNiro. I would be embarrassed to count the times I have watched and laughed at same scenes over and over.

Certainly is on my "to watch" list, but for some reason have not yet. So many movies, so little time.

12. #12 / 13
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon57 wrote:

I have strange dreams from time to time about a bizarre mash up of the worlds of Eddie and the Cruisers & The Philadelphia Experiment...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Mon 22nd May 09:09 [history]

13. #13 / 13
    Premium Member Spider
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

How could you not include Midnight Run (1988) .

+1

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)