225 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 12
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Not currently possible to have an unallocated, non-neutral, randomly distributed capital city(ies) is it?

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

Seek Yours Today. Get Uncomfortable.

2. #2 / 12
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Nope, sorry! Although you can randomly assign seat positions of course.

3. #3 / 12
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: Nope, sorry! Although you can randomly assign seat positions of course.

Ya, but that restricts it to the same starting scenario every time.  I see the reasoning for it not being possible though.

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

Seek Yours Today. Get Uncomfortable.

4. #4 / 12
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Is there any way you could add the option for a territory that contains no units and doesn't display the numbers on it?  I know this sounds strange but it's for an idea I had as those territories would be wholly unusable but that's exactly what I want.

I can achieve the effect I want now but the annoying 0's show up in my spaces.

Edited Thu 17th Feb 13:57 [history]

5. #5 / 12
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Wouldn't that be a bit confusing when fog was enabled? I'm not sure it's a good idea to meddle with visual fundamentals like that - you should be easily able to identify which territories are fogged without referring back to the game rules.

6. #6 / 12
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Sounds like it would be confusing, and sounds like the only reason is due to graphically not wanting to see 0s, is that right?  Which this can somewhat be accomplished with Fog settings (at least other players).

I'm all for stylish graphics, but if there is a potential to interfere too much with gameplay then some things can be more hazardous than beneficial.

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

7. #7 / 12
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I wasn't going to reveal too much about what I was using this for since I don't think it's been done yet and I wanted to reveal it with the map, but for arguments sake I'll let you in on it.

The map I'm working on uses fog.  What I need is essentially a new territory type in the Setup drop down in the Designer.  This territory type would make the territory unable to place units in(it could be auto neutral, but just not show the number indicating unit count), unable to attack or fortify to, BUT I want to be able to add view borders to it. 

What this will do in my map is as players move throughout the map it will reveal bonuses and map information as they progress.  They will be built into the fill image and be covered using the fog layer until the player moves into an area with the appropriate view borders to see that "special" territory.

It's mostly an aesthetic thing but I think it could lead to some cool implementations.

In effect it wouldn't or shouldn't interfere with gameplay, unless improperly implemented by the map designer, as players will only ever be able to view the territory but not interact with it.

I can achieve a similar effect now but the neutral 0 will show up in my territory.

Hopefully this makes a bit more sense.

8. #8 / 12
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Cool idea, but nothing is truly "hidden" from players, they will (pretty easily) be able to get to an image with the revealed image. 

You could attempt to hide the 0 text by using black background (on the Board image) and creating a fully opaque territory on your Board image...I think {#emotions_dlg.shocked}

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

9. #9 / 12
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

It doesn't have to be completely hidden.  it's just to show them what a continent is worth when they enter it for example, not like some big secret.  Since the rest of this board is fogged I just don't want a bunch of numbers and crap on the map when they first get into it.  That will get revealed as they progress.

10. #10 / 12
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend to work on the images a bit more and I can show you what I mean rather than try to clumsily explain it haha.

11. #11 / 12
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ooooh, or you could place the territory in a bottom corner (that can hide the 0's somehow with a black backdrop) and run a pixel line to the box containing the info and therefore all that will fill.

Would take some work and could be easier/harder depending on the overall board layout.  But I think you could make it work with existing functionality.

Edited Fri 18th Feb 15:48 [history]

12. #12 / 12
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

in the case of this particular board a pixel line won't work and when you see it you'll see why, but yeah in most boards that would also be an option.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)