215 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 7
    Standard Member EnixNeo
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

On some of the larger maps you need an overarching strategy in place.  If you're playing just one large map it's easy to keep track of this but if you're playing on three Europe 1650 maps then it's hard to remember which map I'm on the offensive, which map I have to prevent certain moves, and which map I am coordinating a group attack with my teammate.  Would it be possible to add a 'Notes' tab to the player (right next to the 'Info' tab)?  Make it a scratch area where you can write down notes to yourself about a particular game.  Kind of like a private wall you can leave messages to yourself.  OR better yet simply allow the ability to message yourself in a game, that way your own messages are in the same window as the board and you don't have to navigate away from it.  You could make this a premium member option (and as you know, I prefer it be a standard feature but I can also stand back and objectively see how adding features to the premium members is good for you as a business; any time I come up with an idea that wouldn't impact gameplay as a premium option I recommend it (as opposed to removing the total bonus count, total unit count, and total territory count from the 'Info' tab for standard members which really breaks the playing experience in anything other than small, standard-Risk maps; this lack of info creates a huge disadvantage in maps like The Maze, Infection, and Europe 1650)).

2. #2 / 7
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That'd be nice.

Short of that, I'd like to be able to private message myself using the existing in-game message feature.

Cramchakle wrote: [anything]
    I agree

3. #3 / 7
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i think this has been offered up already, i think i've mentioned that i would like some sort of notes section for exactly the same reasoning you mention and i know asm as already offered the msging self option.

Don't Taze Me Bro!

4. #4 / 7
    Standard Member EnixNeo
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote: i think this has been offered up already, i think i've mentioned that i would like some sort of notes section for exactly the same reasoning you mention and i know asm as already offered the msging self option.

Cool, so what was the conclusion?

5. #5 / 7
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

not sure there was one :^)

Don't Taze Me Bro!

6. #6 / 7
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I think it's a good idea - along with player notes.

I know you've got a bee in your bonnet about the in-game player stats info EN but it's very hard to come up with compelling reasons to be a premium member that don't affect gameplay. I think the stats is a marginal one but I don't think it's unfair as the information is all there on the gameboard it's just not presented to you in a concise fashion.

7. #7 / 7
    Standard Member EnixNeo
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: I think it's a good idea - along with player notes.

I know you've got a bee in your bonnet about the in-game player stats info EN but it's very hard to come up with compelling reasons to be a premium member that don't affect gameplay. I think the stats is a marginal one but I don't think it's unfair as the information is all there on the gameboard it's just not presented to you in a concise fashion.

yeah and I agree about adding non-gameplay features to the premium members but I believe that the removal of the stats is a game breaker.  For Global Warfare it might not be because I can look over the board and figure out who has what bonuses, how many units a player has, and how many territories each player has.  But that's not the case in just about any other board.

For example, take a look at this game: http://www.wargear.net/games/player/6068  How many units does each player have?  How do I calculate every players bonus?

Or this game: http://www.wargear.net/games/player/8035  What is each players reinforcement count?  Is it practical to attempt to count every territory that meets the horde bonus?  For each player?  Every time I go to take my turn!?

Many of the suggestions I support help add something to the player experience not take it away or put a player that is standard at a disadvantage against a player that is premium.  They should be features that add a convenience or aesthetics to the game not detract from it.  Tracking player colors over multiple boards is an aesthetic option; they can be tracked in real life with a white sheet of paper and some color highlighters.  Vacation days are a convenience; they don't give you an ingame edge but allow to take a break from the game at anytime you want.  Ingame message icons are a convenience; truth be told, we could all easily just scroll down the page while the player is loading.  Note tabs are a convenience; they can be replicated in real life with sticky notes (<-- that's right, I referenced the very thread we're in!).  The ability to create your own team is a cool feature but again, there's no ingame advantage; if I wanted to play with my own friends I could orchestrate a mass operation to text everyone all at once and have them join my games (in this way that feature would be a convenience).  The ability to create guilds/clans is another cool option that helps to create community bonds and easily create groups of players that either know each other irl or have gotten to know each other well through the forums and matches. 

11jn6ts.jpg

I think the way you had it before struck a good balance of what the feature should be.  Premium members get all the information up front in the board window right there next to the very board they are referencing; standard members can view the information but must look for it in the 'Info' panel and continue switching between 'Play' and 'Info' if they want to view the stats.  In this way, at-a-glance stats are a convenience and a valuable feature to the premium member list.

Edited Sun 7th Feb 16:54 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)