216 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 11
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

This is on the same lines as what is mentioned in the OP of this thread: http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4814/Invites_to_join_tournament.

Short version of the OP there:

There are several tournament which have over 200 people invited to join (quite literally).  (Current examples : "Guerra Mundial" and "JANIS JOPLIN PORSCHE", and a few more). The problem with this is the following:

- Opening that tournament page takes a really really really long time.

- And often it even causes browsers to hang.

- Makes the chat feature pretty much unusable before the tournament starts.

- For team tournaments: You can't request to keep your team open for someone in particular, since most people are unable to scroll down all the way to see what has been posted.

It seems that the person who has been sending out the 200+ invites (including to users who have not logged on for over 6 years), does not want to change what she is doing, since the practice has been continuing.

Since that is the case, the only possible solution is a technical one. Would it be possible to do one or both of the following (also brought up in the thread pointed to earlier):

1) Only load player names (and not player avatars/images, could even be without links to their profiles ) for invited players in tournaments.

2) Have invited players in a separate tab.

Thanks!

2. #2 / 11
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Sure I'll look at this.

3. #3 / 11
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I've run some tests and seeing load times around 1.5s - that doesn't feel too onerous. What sort of load time are you seeing?

4. #4 / 11
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I had it completely crash my computer once.  It was probably due to also having 100+ other tabs open at the same time, but that was the proverbial tab that broke the PCs swap space.

5. #5 / 11
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

I've run some tests and seeing load times around 1.5s - that doesn't feel too onerous. What sort of load time are you seeing?

This: http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/2347 ; just took 35 seconds for me.That's when I was doing literally nothing else on my PC. Only firefox with only WarGear open on it.

I use WG on 3 different systems. On the best one of those, I have never ever had any trouble opening a tournament page (no matter how many invited players). On the middle one (the current one), I have trouble occasionally. On the "worst"one (on which no other website troubles me, even streaming live sports works fine! ), I have my browser crashing very very often because of full tournament pages.

6. #6 / 11
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Several other players have told me the same thing.

BorisTheFrugal mentioned the same in the thread linked to above too:

BorisTheFrugal wrote:

I have the same problem (browser hangs and slow load times on giant invite list tourneys).  When I look at the load times, I think the problem is everyone's player images.  At the very least, maybe Tom could change the code for the invite page so that it doesn't load player images for the invitee list, only the joined players.

7. #7 / 11
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I have trouble on my phone, but basically never on pc using Chrome or Firefox. Largest lists might give me a couple second hangtime. And I'm not against a possible change. I think a separate invite tab might be nice

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

8. #8 / 11
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

+1

I've had it hang for minutes, I'm even afraid of opening Open tournaments now.

Also, would be nice if the creators of the teams could lock the slots of their teams for a few days to invitation only.

9. #9 / 11
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Sometimes it loads in a few seconds, sometimes it takes upwards of 30 seconds. I've even had it crash firefox on occasion (including since this thread started). Not sure if it has anything to do with my internet connection or if it is server side, but it seems to vary a lot.

Edit: most recently I was watching netflix in another window, and switched over to check on wargear. Clicked on a tournament and froze the whole browser. Took like 3 minutes to manage to get it to let me restart the browser.

Edited Sat 27th Jan 12:56 [history]

10. #10 / 11
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

This really needs a solution. 

It is incredibly annoying to open a tournament page and then not do anything on your computer for a whole 3-4 minutes before you use it again ( sometimes even after that, it may cause a crash) . 

As I mentioned earlier, the computer that this happens on to me isn't the best. But the same computer loads movie and live sports streaming perfectly without ever having a browser crash on me. And clearly the comments above show that I am not the only one having this problem. And that does not even go into people who like to use WarGear on the mobile phone. 

Something really needs to be done. 

Edited Fri 13th Apr 02:58 [history]

11. #11 / 11
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Johasi Vidad wrote:

I have trouble on my phone, but basically never on pc using Chrome or Firefox. Largest lists might give me a couple second hangtime. And I'm not against a possible change. I think a separate invite tab might be nice

Updating this I have had my computer crash both Chrome and Firefox from a few tourneys. So much so that I wouldn't open them until they finally started. I had multiple evenings where I had to let my computer sit 15+ minutes or shut the browser down

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)