1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 4
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'll bring this up one more time and then I'll let it go. I just wanted to make its own thread because I've been bitching about this randomly in other places but I really don't understand an argument against it.

Right now there are version numbers (for map creation) that are not used. This clogs up and/or makes confusing a few screens, notably the board review section. Tom, I know you're re-organizing the way that works anyway, and that should be an improvement of sorts, but I still don't understand why the versioning doesn't just get implemented because that would be so easy.

Example. I created a map. I started two DEV games. Those games were both called Board Review: My Board Name 0.1. Okay, fair enough. We played them out, found some mistakes, I fixed them, then I submitted the board. Upon submitting the board, a REV game was created. This game was called Board Review: My Board Name 0.1. Um... okay. Now, it turns out that Yertle let me down and there were still a minor mistake or two on the board, so I un-submitted it, terminated the game, and fixed the errors. When I resubmit, another REV game will be created and it will be called Board Review: My Board Name 0.1.

I honestly can't believe this doesn't bother anyone else, and I still don't understand why it has to be this way. I can't even increment the version number myself manually if I wanted to. Which is bananas. What's even the point of having it then? And when I want to go back and double check if a particular border was pointed out/discussed/fixed by me in one of the games, why do I have to guess which one came first? I really don't see what would be so hard about incrementing the version number on certain triggers, like map submission.

EDIT: to activate html

Cramchakle wrote: [anything]
    I agree
    Edited Mon 28th Dec 11:47 [history]

2. #2 / 4
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

The board versioning system is really there to allow clear differentiation between Live, Dev and Retired versions of boards, it's not necessarily an aid to Designers / the Review system.

Changing the version number of the board between review submissions won't really help clarify things as the game is tied to that particular boardid. So unless you copy the board to a new version the old review game will get the incremented board version number also.

If it helps I can do the following:

1. Take the board version number off of the review game name - i.e. so it's just Board Review: My Board Name

2. Allow you to manually increment the minor version number - although be aware this will affect all review games started with that board.

3. #3 / 4
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    2. Allow you to manually increment the minor version number - although be aware this will affect all review games started with that board.

That had never occurred to me. Poo.

Cramchakle wrote: [anything]
    I agree

4. #4 / 4
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

If you want, asm, instead of fixing the existing map, copy the map and create new board and you get version 2. I have 2 versions of Light Cycles and several versions of Grayhawk because I'm deciding which version I like better and want games played on all them all to find out.
    I don't want the version to change when you resubmit a map. That means you have to start changing the name if there is a minor change. I hate that.
    I don't really understand what all your confusion or upsettedness is about this. I am a big fan of the way it works right now.

The Status is NOT quo

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)