2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 8
    Standard Member Xrayjay
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

If it just me or are more games decaying into:

X receives 18 units. X places 18 units. X attacks a 1. X gets card.

W, Y and Z do same thing for 10 turns until every space has 30 units. Attacks become impossible. 

2. #2 / 8
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Depends entirely on what board you're playing on, what the rules settings are, who you're playing against, etc. If you're getting into a lot of these drawn out turtling games, try new boards and new players. There are zillions of boards here, explore!

3. #3 / 8
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

The solution for this is to form an alliance which can whittle down players to destruction.  These alliances are tricky - the allies will each want the other to do most of the work, and will want to set up eventual victory.  But if done right some of that can be tolerated.  Even a 40% chance of victory through imperfect alliance is better than a 100% chance of boredom, or a 25% chance of victory if you just flipped the dice.

4. #4 / 8
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The dice statistically start to favor the attacker when the numbers get higher.  Thinking about that should help.

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

5. #5 / 8
    Standard Member Xrayjay
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

The dice statistically start to favor the attacker when the numbers get higher.  Thinking about that should help.

Only in a 2-player game....if say there are 4 players left in Europe 1640 (or 1560 whichever it is) and the game has devolved into a stalemate, the first person to try and make a move always gets slaughtered. If that person burns 150 units taking out 200 units from their neighbour, the players not involved are the real winners. I think there have been a few examples in the forum about some epic stalemates on this map with 3-5 players left.

6. #6 / 8
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

It will help in a 4-5 player game if two players decide to coordinate.  Making it happen is, however, tricky.

A thread that I consider very informative on this is http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2710p1/That_awkward_time_between_established_and_dominating and particularly the comments by Luieuil and BlackDog.  I can't execute the strategy (well I'm trying in one game right now), but I am confident that it is possible.

I also note that the three of us are at the lower end of the range that Luieuil points out as likely to get into these stalemates and not know how to get out.

7. #7 / 8
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thanks for the rehash btilly, that was a great thread, and I had forgotten some of that! Smile

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

8. #8 / 8
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Try playing with higher fog levels, more players, and higher card scales.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)