Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 10
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

hi all

Some maintenance / upgrade work is being performed on the instant notification and instant chat systems and there will be some disruption to these two systems whilst this is carried out. Game play or any other site functions will not be affected.

I'll post another message here when the update is complete.

Tom

2. #2 / 10
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

All done.

3. #3 / 10
    Standard Member NewlyIdle
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Is this related to the new (I think) behavior that the site wants me to let pusher.com run scripts?  I run NoScript in FireFox, and haven't noticed any ill effects of not allowing pusher.com.

As a general note, it would be nice for people who opt-in to scripting if you had a spot in the help where you list third party scripts (or at least sites) used, and a brief note explaining why they are needed.

4. #4 / 10
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yes, pusher.com is a replacement for the old BeaconPush.com push messaging service. Beaconpush changed their terms of service to make it massively overpriced for smaller sites.

If you disable it then you lose access to instant chat and realtime notifications (turn notification, timer start / stop, boots, surrenders, new game starts etc).

Edited Tue 18th Sep 13:16 [history]

5. #5 / 10
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

OMG, OMG, OMG. Tom! bless your heart. {#emotions_dlg.worship}{#emotions_dlg.worship}

Just completed my first semi-real time game when Growls AND player auto-update (including timers in info pane)!

LOVE it...now to look for bugs :^P

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

6. #6 / 10
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

OMG, OMG, OMG. Tom! bless your heart. {#emotions_dlg.worship}{#emotions_dlg.worship}

Just completed my first semi-real time game when Growls AND player auto-update (including timers in info pane)!

LOVE it...now to look for bugs :^P

Great news (although admittedly unexpected!) Smile

7. #7 / 10
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

well whatever you did made:
    - Growls start to appear again (no clue as to why they disappeared in the first place, but disappeared way back when you started messin with em after that constant update bug)
    - the player automatically switching to my turn when player is open and previous player ends turn.
    - the timers in the player info field under the gameboard actually switch with the player's turn. previously it would never switch unless i did a page refresh. even player refresh didn't work.

(maybe these last two were related to whatever Growl issue i had?)

. now if you ever get the top forum page to indicate a new post (rather than relying on knowing when i last visited...) i may just forever be content and can die happy with the status quo.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

8. #8 / 10
    Standard Member NewlyIdle
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Yes, pusher.com is a replacement for the old BeaconPush.com push messaging service. Beaconpush changed their terms of service to make it massively overpriced for smaller sites.

If you disable it then you lose access to instant chat and realtime notifications (turn notification, timer start / stop, boots, surrenders, new game starts etc).

OK, thanks, I've unblocked it. 

It will be interesting to see if that enables growls to start working for me, it's been months (maybe a year?) since they last worked for me.  I did have beaconpush whitelisted, but that wasn't enough, apparently.

Were growls handled differently before beaconpush?  I have www.wargear.net in my "allow to open popups" whitelist, but I had not added beaconpush.  Growls did work when you first implemented them.

Edited Tue 18th Sep 15:55 [history]

9. #9 / 10
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

well whatever you did made:
    - Growls start to appear again (no clue as to why they disappeared in the first place, but disappeared way back when you started messin with em after that constant update bug)
    - the player automatically switching to my turn when player is open and previous player ends turn.
    - the timers in the player info field under the gameboard actually switch with the player's turn. previously it would never switch unless i did a page refresh. even player refresh didn't work.

(maybe these last two were related to whatever Growl issue i had?)

. now if you ever get the top forum page to indicate a new post (rather than relying on knowing when i last visited...) i may just forever be content and can die happy with the status quo.

Yes all those things are from notifications sent to your browser by Beaconpush (and now pusher).

10. #10 / 10
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

NewlyIdle wrote:

OK, thanks, I've unblocked it. 

It will be interesting to see if that enables growls to start working for me, it's been months (maybe a year?) since they last worked for me.  I did have beaconpush whitelisted, but that wasn't enough, apparently.

Were growls handled differently before beaconpush?  I have www.wargear.net in my "allow to open popups" whitelist, but I had not added beaconpush.  Growls did work when you first implemented them.

The way it works is that when the page loads the script opens a connection to beaconpush / pusher and this is used to send notifications from the server to the browser. As per weathertop's post above this drives lots of different behaviors in WarGear.

Before Beaconpush was added there were no growls except those displayed when the page loads as there was no way to send notifications to a player except at page load time.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)