1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 8
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Overnight I will be running some new code to recover points lost to players banned for cheating - this will also have the effect of removing them from the ranking tables.

The method that will be used is searching for all games where the cheating player has won and setting the game status to 'Terminated'. Then the ranking table will be rebuilt from game 0 which will have the result of skipping these games so points are not awarded to the cheating player. In future this will be done at the same time as the player is banned.

Net effect - if you ever lost to a cheater your ranking score will improve tomorrow!

2. #2 / 8
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

This will be interesting, because it will ripple out to most/all of us.  I am sure nearly all of us has won/lost a game with someone who has won/lost a game against a multiple account person somewhere along the line.

Potentially all of our scores could go up or down based on changes in other people's scores along the way.

Question: Has this been an issue in any tournaments?  Could the winner of tournament change because of this?

3. #3 / 8
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Sorry I should have said - tournament games will not be affected - it's Public non-tournament games only.

4. #4 / 8
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

... The method that will be used is searching for all games where the cheating player has won...

The word ALL does not seem right to me. I see no reason why someone having lost a 1 vs 1 game against a cheater would be credited back some points.

In the same idea, I believe it should not be done for game where the second (third...) account has not been used.

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth

5. #5 / 8
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Toto wrote:
    tom wrote:

... The method that will be used is searching for all games where the cheating player has won...

The word ALL does not seem right to me. I see no reason why someone having lost a 1 vs 1 game against a cheater would be credited back some points.

In the same idea, I believe it should not be done for game where the second (third...) account has not been used.

Having multiple accounts (whether used or not) presumes the intent to cheat.  Cheaters should not be entitled to any points in any of the games they play, whether 1 v 1 or not.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

6. #6 / 8
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:
    Toto wrote:
    tom wrote:

Having multiple accounts (whether used or not) presumes the intent to cheat.  Cheaters should not be entitled to any points in any of the games they play, whether 1 v 1 or not.

Of course I totally agree with you ATH. I believe I am the one on this site to advocate with the more energy for zero tolerance against cheaters. In fact I even don't agree with Tom who is not banning a cheater for having had a double account because he did not use it more than a couple of times. IMO a cheater is a cheater, even if he has used a double account only once.

So Ok the cheaters should be completly banned from the site, and should gain no points.

But this is not a reason to give back the points to the players having lost against cheaters, especially on 1 vs 1 games.

Also, instead of avoiding to play against cheaters, some could be tempted to play more games against them : if they win, they will take points and if they lose, the points lost will be given back at some stage.

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth
    Edited Tue 6th Sep 21:45 [history]

7. #7 / 8
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Fair point Toto and I think I am in agreement. I have modified the code so only games where cheaters played with multiple accounts will be nullified.

8. #8 / 8
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

This process has now been completed.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)