221 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #1 / 41
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I generally like the point system, and enjoy playing with it.  However, one thing does bother me, and that is how many more points you lose if a lower ranked player wins in a multi player game.  So, If I lose a 6 man game, with a range of opponent rankings, and a veteren player (lets say 2k points) wins the game, I lose 25 points (2.5k/2k*20).  And if a new player (1k points) wins the game, I lose 50 points (2.5k/2k*20).  However, the skill of the winning player (much less their ranking) does not have all that much to do with why I lost in a 6 player game.  I could have been fighting that vet from the start while the average guy was building up on the other side of the board.

Anyhow, I don't have a better answer.. just something that was bothering me.

BD

2. #2 / 41
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

If a 1k kind of guy wins a six player game with all those heavy hitters, he deserves a [self-censored]-load of points, no matter how he did it, and I say he should get most of 'em from you.{#emotions_dlg.lol}

You do have a point, but consider the alternative. What if the payout to the winner was the mean ranking of all opponents divided by the winner's ranking times 20, times the number of players? (Proceeds to be taken evenly from all losing players.) The obvious downside to this would be that the lowest ranking losing player would take a substantial beating.

Interestingly enough, the dynamics of how you describe the disparity suggests that it may be in the best interests of the better players to play differently in such situations, but I'm not sure what that might mean.

For instance, should they take it a little easier on each other and take out the competition, even in the absence of a formal agreement, knowing that at least the little guy won't be taking mega-points to the bank? ..or perhaps the opposite, expend just a little more of their resources attacking each other knowing that if they are able to neutralize the better players, they have a good chance of taking out the little guys to win?

I know I like to take a look at who I'm dealing with when I make my moves and I make decisions based on that knowledge. I just couldn’t tell you which way I tend to play.

Edited Fri 25th Jun 17:14 [history]

3. #3 / 41
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

..or perhaps the opposite, expend just a little more of their resources attacking each other knowing that if they are able to neutralize the better players, they have a good chance of taking out the little guys to win?

This is what I do. I try to attack Dud every turn. But I think the other way is smarter in the long term.

IF YOU ARE SUGGESTING ASM IS A GOOD PLAYER YOU WILL STOP NOW, OR I WILL CALL HR AND I WILL PUT AN END TO IT, FOR THAT IS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO ME.

4. #4 / 41
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

And how is G rating calculated? Seems to correlate with your win/loss ratio vs your expected win/loss ratio?

5. #5 / 41
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

G rating should be the total sum of players in games you've won (including yourself) divided by the total number of games you've played. At least that is the definition I know of. So, this mean a G-rating of a one means that you win/lose pretty much as is expected. Above 1 is above average, below 1 is below average, but how much of a measure this is is hard to tell.

6. #6 / 41
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

BlackDog wrote:

I generally like the point system, and enjoy playing with it.  However, one thing does bother me, and that is how many more points you lose if a lower ranked player wins in a multi player game.  So, If I lose a 6 man game, with a range of opponent rankings, and a veteren player (lets say 2k points) wins the game, I lose 25 points (2.5k/2k*20).  And if a new player (1k points) wins the game, I lose 50 points (2.5k/2k*20).  However, the skill of the winning player (much less their ranking) does not have all that much to do with why I lost in a 6 player game.  I could have been fighting that vet from the start while the average guy was building up on the other side of the board.

Anyhow, I don't have a better answer.. just something that was bothering me.

BD

This just came up for me last week where I was playing in a game that whittled down to three players.  One of them had a score in the 600's and one in the 1900's range.  So, with my high score, I was very worried that if the 600 won, I would lose more points than the 1900.  Thus, when it came down to trying to eliminate one opponent, I went for the low score so that even if I failed, he would not win and my points were somewhat protected.  Honestly, this was the first game where I have paid any attention to points after joining, but it made me think that they could change how the top players play.

7. #7 / 41
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:

This just came up for me last week where I was playing in a game that whittled down to three players.  One of them had a score in the 600's and one in the 1900's range.  So, with my high score, I was very worried that if the 600 won, I would lose more points than the 1900.  Thus, when it came down to trying to eliminate one opponent, I went for the low score so that even if I failed, he would not win and my points were somewhat protected.  Honestly, this was the first game where I have paid any attention to points after joining, but it made me think that they could change how the top players play.

The other obvious component of the decision involves taking into account the actual or implied playing strength of the players.

I was reading your post Alpha, and it occured to me that this is an area of strategy where a meaningful Aggressiveness rating would have value to players.

For instance if (and especially in a fogged game) you knew that that the 600 player had a tendency to attack and spread out his forces thinly (I would call this aggressive play), certainly it would impact on your decision, right?

We've talked about and Aggressiveness rating on other threads, but the group consensus is that it seems depending on how you calculate it, aggressiveness tends to be too subjective an attribute or too closely aligned with playing strength.

Edited Mon 28th Jun 08:15 [history]

8. #8 / 41
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Alpha wrote:

The other obvious component of the decision involves taking into account the actual or implied playing strength of the players.

I was reading your post Alpha, and it occured to me that this is an area of strategy where a meaningful Aggressiveness rating would have value to players.

For instance if (and especially in a fogged game) you knew that that the 600 player had a tendency to attack and spread out his forces thinly (I would call this aggressive play), certainly it would impact on your decision, right?

We've talked about and Aggressiveness rating on other threads, but the group consensus is that it seems depending on how you calculate it, aggressiveness tends to be too subjective an attribute or too closely aligned with playing strength.

Agreed, aggressiveness would be a useful stat, but is a very hard thing to measure numerically.  I have thought about it a bit and have discuss it with a math friend, but it seems that anything we come up with would only be useful on a per game basis and is still heavily dependent upon luck.  Once you take an aggregate of games, the luck should mute how aggressive a player really is because without a strong position, it is hard for a player to be aggressive.  Of course, you could come up with who is kamikaze aggressive as they tend to repeated spread out on their first turn and over attack.

9. #9 / 41
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I think number of offensive dice rolls vs defensive dice rolls would be an interesting statistic.. perhaps it has something to do with aggresiveness?

10. #10 / 41
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

BlackDog wrote: I think number of offensive dice rolls vs defensive dice rolls would be an interesting statistic.. perhaps it has something to do with aggresiveness?

I doubt it.  It's all dependent on context.  For instance, if a player rolls more 3v1's per capita than the average player, does that make them more or less aggressive?

11. #11 / 41
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

More total 3v1 rolls, more aggressive. Higher proportion of 3v1 rolls among total rolls, less aggressive.

IF YOU ARE SUGGESTING ASM IS A GOOD PLAYER YOU WILL STOP NOW, OR I WILL CALL HR AND I WILL PUT AN END TO IT, FOR THAT IS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO ME.

12. #12 / 41
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: More total 3v1 rolls, more aggressive. Higher proportion of 3v1 rolls among total rolls, less aggressive.

What if player A (in a fogged game) sits around accumulating a large number of armies on a small number of territories, attacking just enough to get a card each turn.  During this time all hell breaks loose on the board as most players battle it out, and over time because they have more territories, they congregate a bunch on the borders but only one on each interior territory (I think you'd agree this is a pretty standard strategy).  Player A waits until most players have beaten each other to a pulp, and though they have more territories, Player A has amassed enough armies to take them out one at a time, with a preponderance of 3v1 kills.

I wouldn't call this an aggressive strategy, yet it might look like one using this type of statistic.

13. #13 / 41
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I thought you were referring to a longer-term data set. Over the course of a single game I doubt there's any way to pull any meaningful conclusions out of this data.

14. #14 / 41
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Right. If this player used this strategy day in and day out, wouldn't it look like they play aggressively using this method, when in fact they don't?

..but we won't be happy until there is a "barren" designer feature.

15. #15 / 41
    Standard Member Tesctassa II
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote: G rating should be the total sum of players in games you've won (including yourself) divided by the total number of games you've played. At least that is the definition I know of. So, this mean a G-rating of a one means that you win/lose pretty much as is expected. Above 1 is above average, below 1 is below average, but how much of a measure this is is hard to tell.

Where is the definition of the G-rating???

Thx!

(=

16. #16 / 41
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

G Rating

G rating is a normalized rating based on how many games you expect to win on a game of a particular size. A G rating of > 1 means you win more games than average, < 1 is below average. For example, in a 2 player game you would be expected to 50% of the time (a G rating of 1), a 3 player game 33% (a G rating of 1), a 4 player game 25% (a G rating of 1), and so on. A player's G rating score will be used as a tie breaker when more than one player has the same Ranking score.

Added it to the Rankings help page too ( http://www.wargear.net/help/display/Rankings )

17. #17 / 41
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Thanks Yertle, I was wondering that myself.

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

18. #18 / 41
    Standard Member Tesctassa II
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Thx Yertle! (=

19. #19 / 41
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

This just occured to me: A low G rating combined with a high ranking means that I am generally playing higher ranked players, a high G rating combined with a high ranking means that I am playing lower ranked players.

20. #20 / 41
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

It can also have to do with the size of the games you play. If you play nothing but 1v1s and win 80% of the time, your ranking will be astronomical but your G will still be quite low.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)