211 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 26
    Standard Member Angusjustice
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

New Gamer here just thought I would check out the forums see whats what Cheers all.

Would love to start a Weekly Sunday night real-time game.

Let me know if anyone is interested. Thks

2. #2 / 26
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

3. #3 / 26
    Standard Member Tesctassa II
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Welcome!

Just start looking at the rankings, so you'll learn who you must fear and who not! And good gaming obviously!

(=

Angusjustice wrote:

Would love to start a Weekly Sunday night real-time game.

Sounds fun! (but if you look at my picture, you get the idea why)

d=

4. #4 / 26
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

You know what, that's actually a really excellent idea. Schedule a weekly game for 5 players or so at a pre-determined time so a bunch of people will know to log in and check for it. Only roadblock is that the site is pretty international so it might be hard to figure out what time of evening would be best.

In heaven, there are no heart attacks

5. #5 / 26
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: Ythe site is pretty international so it might be hard to figure out what time of evening would be best.

I'm American!

I hate to burst your bubble, but....no, wait, I actually quite enjoy it. Nevermind

6. #6 / 26
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

You could have Sunday evening games for 4 or 6 different global time zones.  An open chat would obviously help because you'd want to open up a game for a specific # of players and you'd need to know that number.  Come to think of it, even a pick-up game at any time would become more of a possibility if there was an open chat.  I mean, how many of you have actually played a lightning game with 4 or more players?

It seems to me that the chat window should be the priority here.  Are there issues related to a site wide chat?  Could it be a separate window?  That would be cool..

7. #7 / 26
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I think tom is on board with a chat, dunno how far he has got or if he's started, probably some hurdles with a chat system, but still a cool idea IMO. http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/156

asm is a CYLON!!!

8. #8 / 26
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Here is a Chat that Cram and I had today during a game of WGTG we were playing. I'm pretty sure this will be a typical chat:

[17:31] Cramchakle: go
    [17:31] Cramchakle: hurry up noob!
    [17:32] Cramchakle: go
    [17:32] Cramchakle: oh man, i cant wait until tom implements a chat feature
    [17:32] Cramchakle: hey, are you there?
    [17:32] Cramchakle: fag
    [17:32] Cramchakle: wtf, man. i thought we were friends
    [17:33] riskyback: I hope that doesn't happen
    [17:34] Cramchakle: we should just copy and past my last conversation into any forum posts suggesting it be done

We're not sayin', we're just sayin'

I hate to burst your bubble, but....no, wait, I actually quite enjoy it. Nevermind

9. #9 / 26
    Standard Member bengaltiger
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I'm American!

Wait, isn't everyone? I'm not playing with FOREIGNERS, am I? Do you all have your papers?

10. #10 / 26
    Standard Member bengaltiger
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Oh, and as far as chat: Risky brings up a good point (gasp!). While I am really into the idea, it will lead to significant issues. We're already starting to run into issues with game names/player names, what will a chat window bring up?

I definitely want a chat window, but it will be hard to keep it fun and not just degrade into what every other internet site is.

11. #11 / 26
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

I like the idea of a scheduled lightning game.

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

12. #12 / 26
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote:  Only roadblock is that the site is pretty international so it might be hard to figure out what time of evening would be best.

it might be a idea to implament a standerd game time.

13. #13 / 26
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

KrocK wrote:
    asm wrote:  Only roadblock is that the site is pretty international so it might be hard to figure out what time of evening would be best.

it might be a idea to implament a standerd game time.

Right. And as asm pointed out, the only question remaining is: what time? Since so many people on the site are from different parts of the world, it's not necessarily trivial to say 'Sunday evening' and leave it at that.

bengaltiger wrote: Oh, and as far as chat: Risky brings up a good point (gasp!). While I am really into the idea, it will lead to significant issues. We're already starting to run into issues with game names/player names, what will a chat window bring up?

I definitely want a chat window, but it will be hard to keep it fun and not just degrade into what every other internet site is.

I don't think it would be that hard. We can just tell Yertle that 'misbehavior in chat' is the new broken borders in a test game and he'll put a lid on that in a hurry.

In all seriousness, I don't think it'll be that big a deal. In the previous conversations on this topic we've held up Kongregate's chat feature as a great example of what to aim for. Sure, they're not coming up with a Unified Theory, but it adds to the social element of the site and would certainly help with setting up faster-paced games.

In heaven, there are no heart attacks

14. #14 / 26
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

bengaltiger wrote: Oh, and as far as chat: Risky brings up a good point (gasp!). While I am really into the idea, it will lead to significant issues. We're already starting to run into issues with game names/player names, what will a chat window bring up?

There would be issues and there would have to be some with Moderator abilities to squelch people for a period of time (warning, 5 minute squelch = 2nd warning, 24 hour squelch = 3rd warning, repeated = no chat, or something).

If the forums could be any prediction of how a chat system would be (which it can and can't a good prediction probably) then it wouldn't be too bad.  As far as I know there has been very little moderation that's had to occur to posts/threads (even when on WF).  The people that stay/post are, it seems, usually a bit more civilized.  Not that that would always be the case in a chat system, but perhaps it wouldn't be too horrible, especially if it is restricted to a Premium option which means the person is a bit more invested in the site (and again, usually a bit more civilized from my observations).

asm is a CYLON!!!

15. #15 / 26
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Yertle just called me civilized!

16. #16 / 26
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote: usually 

I knew I should have put some more disclaimers in there {#emotions_dlg.cylon}

asm is a CYLON!!!

17. #17 / 26
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

How about not saving chats for future viewing and/or giving people the ability to turn off chat if there is a person annoying them? If they are not saved then there is no permanent record.

18. #18 / 26
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i wonder, how much more difficult would it be to open up a chat window to a specific person rather than (or in addition to) have one single big one everyone can post to? that way if i want to chat with asm, i open up a window to him. if i want a group chat (teamplay) i invite the three other players and we all chat in that one window. then for general trash talking or open invite messeges i can use the big everyone can post chatterbox.

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen
    Edited Wed 26th May 12:26 [history]

19. #19 / 26
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I don't know if tom is keeping up with this thread, but there is The Meebo Bar that could make this really simple but also add in some stuff that he may not want. I don't host my own site so I have never played with it but I do use Meebo for all my IM'ing and it's been pretty good for me and this would take advantage of people's existing IM clients and also allow them to create rooms or whatever. Anyways, just a thought.
    http://bar.meebo.com/

20. #20 / 26
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

*cough*WarLight has a chat system*cough* :P

asm is a CYLON!!!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)