222 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 15
    Standard Member EnixNeo
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Because I've started two games and they both turned to stalemates.  The actions are too restricted.  I understand limiting fortifies, attacks, and territory unit caps but having restrictions on ALL of them prevents the game from progressing in any way.

We had this game going for a while but we weren't going anywhere.  http://www.wargear.net/games/player/13515 and http://www.wargear.net/games/view/13516 ; Nevermind that with the huge bonus that the defense line gets it would actually take a small miracle to break through nevermind that you would then still have to hope to have enough units to attack the enemy deck nevermind that you would--on top of all that--need attack turns left over (three neverminds! I mean that's a lot of conditions that must be met just for one shot at taking out the enemy.  That's like Luke taking out the deathstar and he had to use the force!).

+2 points for successfully using nevermind three times in a sentence (by my rules of grammar)

+3 points for the Star Wars reference

2. #2 / 15
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Here are the keys to the map:
    - Don't always use all your attacks (you don't use unlimited attacks every game do you?)
    - Supply your healer line for fortifies since you can fortify anywhere from them.
    - Attacking the back line is a matter of Return to Attack after fortify so you can keep attacking it with 5 units.
    - Don't waste units taking your defense area, let your opponent worry about the 3 neutrals.
    - If you take a bonus away and don't have enough attacks and/or fortifies to make a play for the defend line, supply it and keep it. make them waste attacks.
    - Make them Waste attacks (they only have 5 so put them on defense and you'll end up getting a clearing)
    - Don't always play in one line. It can work a lot but sometimes you have to sneak up on them. If they don't have vision on a line, start going in there.

Anyways, I've played a lot of games on the map and it is one of my favs I've ever made. Never have they become a stalemate and also never have I seen a player take their whole side like green has in the first game. That's just wasting armies. As far as your Star Wars reference, if your opponent is stockpiling his deck then he/she has got nothing anywhere else and you'll win with bonuses and aggressiveness.
    My maps aren't standard play and you have to think differently.

The Status is NOT quo

3. #3 / 15
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Also, remember the Deck is a capital so focus on getting that.

The Status is NOT quo

4. #4 / 15
    Standard Member EnixNeo
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote: Here are the keys to the map:
    - Don't always use all your attacks (you don't use unlimited attacks every game do you?)
    - Supply your healer line for fortifies since you can fortify anywhere from them.
    - Attacking the back line is a matter of Return to Attack after fortify so you can keep attacking it with 5 units.
    - Don't waste units taking your defense area, let your opponent worry about the 3 neutrals.
    - If you take a bonus away and don't have enough attacks and/or fortifies to make a play for the defend line, supply it and keep it. make them waste attacks.
    - Make them Waste attacks (they only have 5 so put them on defense and you'll end up getting a clearing)
    - Don't always play in one line. It can work a lot but sometimes you have to sneak up on them. If they don't have vision on a line, start going in there.

Anyways, I've played a lot of games on the map and it is one of my favs I've ever made. Never have they become a stalemate and also never have I seen a player take their whole side like green has in the first game. That's just wasting armies. As far as your Star Wars reference, if your opponent is stockpiling his deck then he/she has got nothing anywhere else and you'll win with bonuses and aggressiveness.
    My maps aren't standard play and you have to think differently.

Yeah, we were always trying to reach the capital.  The healer line always had enough units to provide at least two backups per turn (2 fortifies allowed).  When attacking within enemy territory, we always returned to attack after fortify.  However, if the original 5v5 attack didn't result in taking over the territory one of the fortifies would get used up and after both fortifies get used up you can't keep attacking within enemy territories since the decks cant attack over the line (which makes sense from a gameplay point of view).  I recommend at looking at the replay to see what I mean (starting at 588 is probably the best spot); the other game was similar.  By that last screenshot it looks like I had an advantage but we were actually at that state for many many rounds and at that point risk cards were bringing in about 18 units.  The game for the most part did focus on one then two lanes.  I really like the theme of the map, I'm just trying to learn to play it.

5. #5 / 15
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Here's another game that's been going on for ages (card turn-ins are now worth 32...). I thought green would have it for a while, but I've made a bit of a comeback the last 3 rounds.

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/14902

6. #6 / 15
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Keep in mind that we cannot watch your replay until the game is over because of the fog.

7. #7 / 15
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Oh, right. Well, trust me - it's been a long game.

8. #8 / 15
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

In addition to what Risky said, I think the following are important:

-Take all your healers first turn if possible
    -Do not capture a card on your offensive line if you cannot then take the card on your oppenents offensive line, since you dont want to leave units in a vulnorable spot and you cannot fortify them away.
    -Generally don't place units on your deck except to attack a specific card.

9. #9 / 15
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I am also now in a stalemated game, and I'm confident that it wasn't due to poor strategy. The problem I think is card scale,  you cannot bring your armies to bear on your enemy faster than they can refill them once the cards get high. Setting the card scale to either 5,5,5 or 4,6,8,10,4 might fix the issue.

Edited Thu 29th Apr 15:13 [history]

10. #10 / 15
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm really thinking people call stalemate way too early on this map.

11. #11 / 15
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

nearly 2500 moves into the game is too early?

12. #12 / 15
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Neither of us could possibly have won the tourney game we terminated.

13. #13 / 15
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Neither of us could possibly have won the tourney game we terminated.

14. #14 / 15
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I have to agree with BlackDog, the game was unwinable. 158 units will never be taken down by 5 no matter how many Return to Attacks a person has. I have comments to make about how the game was played to get into that situation but I have decided to fall silent with them as BD and I are in a game at the moment and I don't want him to get any ideas from what I would say.
    I like winning. It is so much better than losing.

The Status is NOT quo

15. #15 / 15
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Ok, you've lost, what are your comments? ;)

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)