199 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 10
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

One thing that I noticed is that there are hardly any forum threads regarding either strategies for particular boards or general strategy discussion.  I know everyone's trying to win, but offering some help to players new to Risk-like games could help with new player retention.  Sure, many new players will still get their butts handed to them at first, but at least they would have a designated place on the forums where they could ask for advice or read strategy articles that veterans have posted.

2. #2 / 10
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Seems like the General Discussion forum would be useful for that. Strategy sounds WarGear related :P and that forum is not really used all that much anyhow.
    I could potentially see a time when more forums are necessary, but, IMO, smaller compact forums are better than many thin forums.

Oh and you start :D

Easter - The celebration of death, of resurrection, of life, and of a promise fulfilled.

3. #3 / 10
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Agree. Maybe add something about "consult awesome players like asm on strategy questions" to the sub-forum description to encourage this type of post?

It's a trap!

4. #4 / 10
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I like the ideas Norseman. For articles, it might make sense to place them somewhere else on the site. I'm concerned that if you post "Norseman's extremely well-written strategy guide for beginners", it will get lost among other posts. A beginner browsing through titles in an article section could more easily find what they are looking for.

For discussion or debate of strategy, I like the idea of a separate section within the forums. A designated place could go a long way towards fostering discussion.

5. #5 / 10
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Do you see this being more of a forum for people to ask questions about strategy or more of a place for players to post their strategy guides? Or both?

6. #6 / 10
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

In the short term, both. In the long term, I think it would make organizational sense to separate guides (mapmaking guides as well) from the forums.

7. #7 / 10
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Sorry, I made my original post and then promptly forgot about this thread. I think having a place where people could feel free to ask questions is the most important. It would be nice to have a place where people could post strategies, though a stickied thread with links to strategy posts in the General forum would probably do just fine (once there are a couple guides to link to, of course).

Here's an example of the sort of new player support another site provides: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=341&sid=0c44357e387f1c1fc022d2926f93485e

8. #8 / 10
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Me thinks it would be cool to have a separate forum dedicated to strategy.

I am sure people would not want to give away their secrets, but a place where "newbies" were encouraged to ask for advice would help ease people into the site - especially with the "weirder" games. (No offense to any of you creative types.)

How about if you could link into specific turns in a game? Imagine a post like this "Here is where I was in game X [link]. What I did didn't work, any idea on what I should have done.?"

9. #9 / 10
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

The forum now exists and we even have posts. Linking into specific turns would be nice, but you also have the option of looking at the history and giving a move number.

10. #10 / 10
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote: Me thinks it would be cool to have a separate forum dedicated to strategy.

I am sure people would not want to give away their secrets, but a place where "newbies" were encouraged to ask for advice would help ease people into the site - especially with the "weirder" games. (No offense to any of you creative types.)

How about if you could link into specific turns in a game? Imagine a post like this "Here is where I was in game X [link]. What I did didn't work, any idea on what I should have done.?"

That's a great idea! This sort of thing is one of the reasons the forums were purpose built for the site rather than taking an off the shelf product.

I'll add in some forum code so you can embed an image of the state of the board at a specific turn.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)