210 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 18
    Standard Member MrPlaya
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Is it me or is navigating around the site, even to get to a game - a bit wonky? Seems here’s no convenient way to do anything. For example under my games, if I click on the game name, it should start my turn on that game - simple!

To create a game: clicking on the maps display, when I click on a map I want for that game, it should populate it back into the game creation screen, not have me need to hit create game button.

There are too many steps to do simple things. I don’t even see where I can easily get to my profile.

Also when I win a game the pop up and also email shows the stats of the other players and how they changed - I never see any stats about me !

Lastly at times game will lock up during reinforcing. I refresh the browser to solve this.

2. #2 / 18
    Tournament Tender hootz72
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

"My Games" - there used to be two different players (native and Flash) and shortcuts for each were provided, after Flash was no longer supported, So now there is just the one shortcut. You could use that for your one click fix - there are other reasons folks visit the that page and it might not be to take their turn.

Maps display - You visit there to create a game, other folks might visit that page for reasons that you haven't discovered yet.

Your profile - there is a link on your home page

Your rank - check the "Ranking History" tab available on your home page

The lock up you are experiencing is likely an issue with your browser.

There are reasons for somethings here that you may not have discovered yet, but it will all be familiar muscle memory soon enough.

: )

3. #3 / 18
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I find navigation on the site super simple with very little wasted effort. Not sure what the heck MrPlaya is talking about. Some of the items he lists, he is simply incorrect on. The one issue is the wonkiness on some maps during a reinforce - I think that is due to the loss of Flash, as hootz indicates.

4. #4 / 18
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Click either of these to go directly to the player to take your turn:

Edited Sat 23rd Apr 23:19 [history]

5. #5 / 18
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Regarding the map display - as Hootz alludes to, I am more often reviewing the map than starting a new game when I go from there.

6. #6 / 18
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Click here to get to your profile:

7. #7 / 18
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

MrPlaya wrote: Also when I win a game the pop up and also email shows the stats of the other players and how they changed - I never see any stats about me !

The reason it shows all players stats in this popup/email is because the ranking system that this site uses are based on a net zero transaction of points. For any game, the winner of the game acquires the same number of points that each individual opponent loses. The ranking difference between your current ranking and each specific opponents' ranking decides how many points are transferred from that opponent to you.

Example 1 - If you are a great player (high ranking) and you beat a bad player (low ranking) that is an expected win. Since it is expected that you should beat them, then you should earn points for the win, but only a small amount of points (because theoretically you beat someone you should have beaten). In this case, your score goes up this small amount, and that particular opponent's score goes down that same number of points.

Example 2 - If you are a bad player (low ranking) and you beat a good player (high ranking) then that is an unexpected win. As the better player, they should have beaten you, so because you beat them, you deserve to earn more points for having beaten that particular player. In this case, your score goes up a large amount, but that particular opponent's score goes down that same number of points.

The actual number of points that you acquire for the win (or points you lose when you lose the game) is based on doing the above math of comparative scores vs each individual opponent. The winner wins points against every loser, and every loser loses points to that single winner. The pop-up/email needs to show that comparative math for each individual opponent, because if you don't think of them as independent transactions, then the number of points you acquired for any given win will seem arbitrary, when it absolutely is not.

Please ask questions if the above doesn't make sense.

8. #8 / 18
    Standard Member MrPlaya
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

There are also too many stats here. No reason to show so much data. I’m not going to suggest any new ideas which could improve game play, but overall this site is pretty good even on mobile. Just a general clean up of navigation would tidy things up.

9. #9 / 18
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

MrPlaya wrote: Just a general clean up of navigation would tidy things up.

It seems like the responses above show that the shortcuts that you wanted already exist. Since those have been put to bed, what other recommendations would you make? Maybe you have a great idea that would make things better, so please throw out other recommendations. Tom (the guy who owns the site) is very active in these forums, and very responsive; especially so when the ideas have been batted around in the forums and a consensus by the players is agreed upon.

So please feel free to toss up any ideas that you have.

10. #10 / 18
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Also, welcome aboard MrPlaya. I'll be the first to agree that wargear has a dense UI and a high learning curve. A long time ago, I suggested there be some sort of 'progressive disclosure' of features/UI for players, because I do think it is probably overwhelming for newbies. I think it mostly makes sense once you've been here for a while, but it's a lot to take in all at once.

11. #11 / 18
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I agree Ozy - the site can be a bit overwhelming to a newbie at first (navigation and gameplay). I must say, that once members have reached a certain veteran level, pretty much everything navigation-wise and play-wise makes sense. We should probably encourage newbies with private games or simplified maps so they get used to the look and feel of the site.

12. #12 / 18
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I resized my chrome window to somewhat illustrate what my window looks like on my phone. This is my biggest "site navigation" issue.

Look where the "turns waiting" button is. And then look below it where my thumb invariably seems to tap instead.

13. #13 / 18
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Weird. Mine doesn't do the 'resize' shift. It just zooms with the spread of fingers.

(Actual screenshot of phone browser -- On Android/Chrome)

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Mon 16th May 16:50 [history]

14. #14 / 18
    Standard Member agwyvern
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Colour me impressed, Andernut and weathertop.

I play Wargear on a 22" monitor in portrait mode. I can't conceive of playing it on a phone - geezus that's tiny.

15. #15 / 18
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I tolerate playing on a 13" Macbook screen, but only when I have to. My aged eyes complain unless they're focusing in on a 27" iMac (with readers on).

16. #16 / 18
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Andernut, yeah, I agree with you on the phone thing. Does the same for me and it gets a little annoying to accidentally logout, lol.

17. #17 / 18
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i only use the phone when i absolutely have to. and usually it's just to access and put myself on vacation!!

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

18. #18 / 18
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:i only use the phone when i absolutely have to. and usually it's just to access and put myself on vacation!!

Same here. On a couple of boards I dare move on phone but for most I wait until I have a big screen again.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)