236 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 12
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

This is the 4th time that I have noticed a game on Go-Geared being counted twice when one of the players surrenders.

From public ticker:

Chele Nica gained 1 championship point from game Pass Go To Collect 200 on board Go-Geared 16 Nov 12:51:21
    Pratik lost 1 championship point from game Pass Go To Collect 200 on board Go-Geared 16 Nov 12:51:21
    Chele Nica won game Pass Go To Collect 200 on board Go-Geared 16 Nov 12:51:21
    Pratik surrendered from game Pass Go To Collect 200 on board Go-Geared 16 Nov 12:51:20
    Chele Nica gained 1 championship point from game Pass Go To Collect 200 on board Go-Geared 16 Nov 12:50:49
    Chele Nica won game Pass Go To Collect 200 on board Go-Geared 16 Nov 12:50:48
    Pratik surrendered from game Pass Go To Collect 200 on board Go-Geared 16 Nov 12:50:47

2. #2 / 12
    Standard Member zdisabled_8a7ed3fe
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

This has happened to me more times than I can count.  In almost every case, it's because I either refreshed the game page after I surrendered, or I backspaced back into the game page after checking another page.  If you do either of those things after a surrender, the site registers the surrender a second time.  If you do it 5 times in a row, you get 5 losses in a row, and the opponent gets 5 wins.

Edited Tue 12th Dec 10:21 [history]

3. #3 / 12
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

camel wrote:

This has happened to me more times than I can count.  In almost every case, it's because I either refreshed the game page after I surrendered, or I backspaced back into the game page after checking another page.  If you do either of those things after a surrender, the site registers the surrender a second time.  If you do it 5 times in a row, you get 5 losses in a row, and the opponent gets 5 wins.

So that's the problem. It should be easy to fix by adding a check in the code to see if the surrendering already happened.

4. #4 / 12
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

redshift wrote:
    camel wrote:

So that's the problem. It should be easy to fix by adding a check in the code to see if the surrendering already happened.

That would only be one of the reasons for games to be counted twice. Certainly not the only reason.

5. #5 / 12
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I never backspaced back into a game after surrendering or checked another page afterinitially discoverering the counting double problem, still happened a couple more times. Not sure why. Maybe it's my PC doing an automatic update or something. Certainly nothing I did myself as I was very careful about it. 

6. #6 / 12
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

I never backspaced back into a game after surrendering or checked another page afterinitially discoverering the counting double problem, still happened a couple more times. Not sure why. Maybe it's my PC doing an automatic update or something. Certainly nothing I did myself as I was very careful about it. 

What we're talking about happens when the surrendering player either refreshes the page after surrendering or visists other pages but then goes back to that page (the game lobby) using the browser's back button (or its hotkey, usually backspace). This is because the surrendering request is appended to the url. This is assuming the surrendering is automatic, i.e., no need to wait for a vote.

If it also happens outside of that, then there must be an internal bug in addition to this.

7. #7 / 12
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I've added an internal check to prevent this happening in future, thanks for the diagnosis and suggestions everyone!

8. #8 / 12
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

I've added an internal check to prevent this happening in future, thanks for the diagnosis and suggestions everyone!

Super! Thanks a lot Tom Smile

9. #9 / 12
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Thanks!

10. #10 / 12
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I think this bug may not yet be fixed.

I just won a 1v1 RT game when my opponent surrendered.  I was given credit for the win three times.

I don't know if my opponent rapidly clicked the surrender button or if he refreshed the page after surrendering.  Look at the win times from 15:12:37 to 15:12:46:

http://www.wargear.net/player/ticker/Public#

I know, I'm shooting my ranking in the foot for reporting this.  Is there a "Good Samaritan" badge? :)

11. #11 / 12
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

camel, I looked at your ranking history and the game is only counted once there.

12. #12 / 12
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I see that now as well.  Perhaps it was resolved with the nightly index.  I should have taken a screenshot of the ticker like the OP.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)