222 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 12
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Tom has graciously decided to sponsor another themed map making contest.  Unlike the unthemed ones that last only 6 months, these last an entire year, to give players more time to work within the theme constraints.

Although Tom ultimately gets to pick the theme, we are encouraged to suggest and discuss possible themes, and he'll read our discussion and then make a final decision. 

Here's last years thread, in case you want ideas:

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/3440/Suggestdiscuss_themes_for_one_of_the_upcomign_mapmaking_competitions

2. #2 / 12
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

How about a 'Funhouse'-themed adventure map?  In other words, players start at opposite ends of the map, have to make it by neutral/factory area via dice/choices to get into the middle of the board, which has connecting kingdoms?  The neutral (evil) area could have multiple outlets that lead to different-bonus kingoms.  The player who gains control of his entire continent first would win.

3. #3 / 12
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote:

How about a 'Funhouse'-themed adventure map?  In other words, players start at opposite ends of the map, have to make it by neutral/factory area via dice/choices to get into the middle of the board, which has connecting kingdoms?  The neutral (evil) area could have multiple outlets that lead to different-bonus kingoms.  The player who gains control of his entire continent first would win.

Sounds like a great idea for a map - but not a theme for a competition.  I think one of the goals of a competition like this is to end up with a certain 'range' of boards.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

4. #4 / 12
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

+1 to what M57 said.  Sounds interesting, but too narrow for a contest.

I'm going back to a previous suggestion of mine.  "Homelands".  Anything that represents a geographic area that you spent a lot of time in would count.  Could be the city, state or country you grew up in, or the one you live in now.  Your old high school or college campus, a summer camp or even a mall or playground or some other place that holds a lot of memories for you would count.

5. #5 / 12
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Homelands sounds like a great idea.

And to pull the last sentence from Thingol's post, the theme could be using the Custom Win Conditions feature. I think there are only 3 maps that use it so far? Seems like a fair challenge to see who can get the most mileage out of it.

6. #6 / 12
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

And to pull the last sentence from Thingol's post, the theme could be using the Custom Win Conditions feature. I think there are only 3 maps that use it so far? Seems like a fair challenge to see who can get the most mileage out of it.

So really we have two themes in one suggestion: one technical, and one thematic. I'm not completely opposed because any maps I make in the near future are likely to use CWC anyway, but I would caution against too many criteria.

7. #7 / 12
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Korrun wrote:

So really we have two themes in one suggestion: one technical, and one thematic. I'm not completely opposed because any maps I make in the near future are likely to use CWC anyway, but I would caution against too many criteria.

I wasn't trying to suggest that they be combined. More of an either or sort of thing.

8. #8 / 12
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, I think either one sounds great.  Probably not both together - as M57 says, don't want to make things too narrow.

9. #9 / 12
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think an underwater theme would be cool also.  Lots you could do with that.  I'm going to make a little mermaid map!

10. #10 / 12
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Under the sea sounds good... submarine warfare :)

11. #11 / 12
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I like UTS.

12. #12 / 12
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I dunno - seems fishy.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)