235 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 31
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Just curious how everyone is doing.  I decided to do an Iwo Jima map that I'm currently finishing the balancing with.  Anyone else got one in the works?  Don't wait to long to submit, as you need to get through board review by the end of the year.

2. #2 / 31
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I'm working on one, but honestly haven't been able to find a couple hours all year to dedicate to getting it right. =(

In your Face!

3. #3 / 31
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm afraid I'm too busy these days to be working on one, which kind of bums me out because this is one of my favorite themes.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

4. #4 / 31
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Perhaps you folks should postpone until after the holidays...?

5. #5 / 31
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote:

Perhaps you folks should postpone until after the holidays...?

That is fine with me, if Tom and everyone else wants to.  I'd rather have some real competition, then get a win by default.  Would some extra time help you guys get it done?  How would this effect the schedule for next years competition?

6. #6 / 31
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

It seems reasonable that there should be a minimum # of entrants - say 3 or 4.  Future competitions would have to be postponed as necessary.  The designer community here is pretty small, and that may be a trend considering the number of boards available for play is so large now.  I haven't noticed much in the way of first-time designers in the last year or two.

7. #7 / 31
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Work for me usually slows down tremendously from Thanksgiving to New Years. I've made a lot of maps in the month of December over the years. I would be happy with pushing back to February so a map can get made in Dec and played a bit.

In your Face!

8. #8 / 31
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>It seems reasonable that there should be a minimum # of entrants - say 3 or 4.  Future competitions would have to be postponed as necessary.

I have no problem with postponing, but I'm not sure I like the idea of requiring a minimum of entrants.  For one thing it may discourage someone from attempting a map - figuring there doesn't seem to be much interest so I won't bother, which could be a self-reinforcing cycle.  Also it seems unfair after someone has already put in the effort to make a map that the contest is cancelled.  If there were two other contestants, they'd get at least 3rd ($30), but because of others actions, now they get nothing?  Finally, we have a precedent set already in that Cram was given 1st place for the 'Video Game' themed contest when he was the only one to finish in time.

Now granted in this case, I am the one to benefit, but I think I'd feel the same way if I wasn't involved.

Devils advocate - for themed contests, your work is not entirely lost, because you can submit it to the non-themed contest, although it will probably not do as well.

My vote is to delay a bit, although I guess if Cram is the only one with a chance of getting a board done, then maybe there is not a point, especially if we are going to require 3 contestants to have the contest.

I'll give this thread a couple days to let anyone else have their say, and then I'll PM Tom and ask him what he wants to do.

9. #9 / 31
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Point to consider, we extended the competition to a year, because the entrants were generally late.  -as well as to make for more dev time. 

...Now we delay the deadline in order to allow the same...  How much should that go on?

As far as allowing for an extension, IMO why not? If there is some competition, let it happen.

On the other hand, if you allow for this to extend for a couple of months, you should start next years competition on time.

Minimum number of entrants? mmmm... I don't think this is good. Just cause of what you said, if the entrants did all the work, let them be rewarded.  And we'll get good boards out of it too.

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

10. #10 / 31
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

It was a self-serving suggestion.  I'm just PO'd with myself because I'd like to get in on this one, but RL happens.  Honestly, All of the historical battle-related ideas that I've had recently scream for designer features that don't exist ..yet, so it's probably best I sit on the sidelines for this one.

This is semi-OT, but one of my more recent concerns is that I'm not seeing a much in the way of new designers in these here parts, and I'm not sure what that means - For instance, does it mean that potential designers are happy with the current selection, so they don't bother?  ..or does it suggest something a bit more ominous?

11. #11 / 31
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

12. #12 / 31
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

nice chart.  Interesting to see it really has leveled off.

I can only speak for myself, but I have produced less maps lately, because I usually want to do something innovative, not retread the same ground.  That's harder to do, and takes much longer to create.  Plus it's a bit disappointing seeing the amount my boards are actually played (most of them), so then I think - do I really want to make this board, just to have almost no one play it.

13. #13 / 31
    Standard Member Xrayjay
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

I have a bunch of what I think are cool ideas. But I'm no computer whiz and could not really figure out how to even get started with the board editor.

14. #14 / 31
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Xrayjay wrote:

I have a bunch of what I think are cool ideas. But I'm no computer whiz and could not really figure out how to even get started with the board editor.

The map editor is not too hard.  If you can figure out how to play a game here on wargear, I think you could figure out the editor without too much more trouble.  The hardest part is getting the images made.  If you want specific help, please post in the forums or PM me and we can get things figured out for you.

15. #15 / 31
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Xrayjay wrote:

I highly recommend starting off with a basic "standard" board.  Not too many territories, no factories, few dice mods if any, and just get it to work..

16. #16 / 31
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Getting Started:

1. Pick an image, or create an image.  The board picture is the most important part. 

2. Upload the image

3. Add territories where you want them to be

4. Add borders to the territories

5. Give the board a try!

6. Read and play with all the additional settings.  

7. Tweak the image so it actually looks good, fix the borders that you missed, tweak the territories and settings, play the game a bunch of times and realize it's no fun, rebuild the territory/border structure, try new settings, play again a bunch of times, change the plan... go back to number 1... 

Number 6 and 7 are where the art of board making lies, but it's possible to create a super fun game without them - If you were good at these things. 

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

17. #17 / 31
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Getting Started:

Make sure you check out the wiki

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_tutorials:designer_tutorials

18. #18 / 31
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm going to see if I can finish one before the end of the year.

19. #19 / 31
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I'd be supportive of an extension to the competition if that helps those who have boards in progress. What do you think about this and if generally acceptable, what would be the best new deadline. End Feb?

20. #20 / 31
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ok - let's extend until end of February, and hope there is a bit more competition.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)