218 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1234   (4 in total)
  1. #41 / 67
    Standard Member Gimli
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

OK, I've read enough to want to respond, but dont have time to read if these thoughts have already been shared.

First, it was written "Fairest substitution method would be to select someone already in the tournament but who was eliminated the previous round. Having a teammate booted in the first round was always a death knell and annoying as !%$@."

Good thought, but how will it be "fair" if tourney host or random system is picking who gets a 2nd shot and who doesn't?

I have to say I like the double elim system... alot. There are some boards where you just get totally screwed in your placement, doesnt matter if you Kobra Kai or Nikolai... you just can't get into it. A 2nd chance is so nice.

I also dont think double elim is such a problem here, if the suggestions are followed. You guys are already loving the potential new system, which solves the drag issue of the bottom bracket. Make the bottom bracket a bit bigger in # of players. Yeah, it will still take a while for turns to be taken, but it is a bit faster in the joining game parts. But after this first round, A LOT of players get culled, and the bottom tier should not be so far behind the top tier.

And what would be really interesting is if the first 25% of players or so (host decides) don't get into the bottom bracket. that would make it just as fast as the top tier.

Wargear is all about options, so I hope that even if some people don't like 2 elimination tourneys, tourney hosts should still get the option. It's their boards, and their style. People can always just not join double elims if they dont like it.

I also vote yes for tourneys that change boards every time. That would be awesome. Imagine when BAO gets here, and you have to compete in many different boards! Hope Bomb Factory gets here soon!

2. #42 / 67
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i have a idea that might be interesting:

Joining Tournaments: within every 24/hr time period if you log in at least once you will receive certain number of Tournament Points (TP). 2 for a standard member and 5 for premium member. so basically if a player checks their games once a day they get more points toward joining or starting a tournament. that way it stops someone from jumping into a tournament within their first few days of joining WG

Tournament Rankings to join a tournament[20 TP(same as a normal ranked game)] but each round a player gets back some TP. this could be preset to the number of players who join.

for example: a tournament with 5 rounds i could be: round 1 winners split 5% of the total TP round 2 split 10% round 3 split 15% round 4 split 20% final round total left would be 50% so the winner gets half of that 25% of the total TP and the other players split the rest.

when the tournament finishes you receive Tournament Ranking Points (TRP) the equivalent to the total TP you won from that tourment, but the more you have the higher you are on the TRP leader board and the only way to get TRP is to progress in tournaments.

this way not only is it a cool way to rank tournaments it gives more incentive to check in everyday. what do ya think?

3. #43 / 67
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Are Tournaments on hold, I thought they won the vote for next major enhancement. This conversation seems to have stalled.

4. #44 / 67
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

They're in progress - taking a while as a few bug fixes took priority. I'm hoping to have it in place ready for testing within the next 3 weeks or so.

5. #45 / 67
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Sounds great, did we come to a concrete decision on how everything will work?

6. #46 / 67
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Not really, I was going to do the usual policy of putting something workable together, getting feedback, then redeveloping x100 times until everyone's happy with it :)

7. #47 / 67
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Sounds like a plan.

8. #48 / 67
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I don't know exactly where you are with this, but I would like to nominate the NEW Rent is Do for the map to test out the tournaments. 1 Night at McRisky's on the other site was one of the most fun tournaments I ever hosted, the map is relatively small and it is designated for 4 players only so it will test the bracketing system to see how the tourney lays out. It's also fun!

P.S. it will go into review soon for open play, I just want to complete a game on it but the test games are going swimmingly!

The Status is NOT quo

9. #49 / 67
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

It's getting there... will be a couple of weeks more I should think before it is ready to start testing.

10. #50 / 67
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Good News!!!!!!

USA beat Canada in Olympic Hockey and now they have to play them again in the Gold Medal round so USA could go 1 and 1 vs Canada but Canada gets the Gold.

Seems like the TOS system is internationally popular!

The Status is NOT quo

11. #51 / 67
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Just an update on this... basically tournaments are taking a lot longer than I thought. They're really quite complex beasts when you start trying to program for all eventualities.

Anyway it is all happening, I'm hoping to get something up for testing in the next couple of weeks.

12. #52 / 67
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:

1. Mechanisms for keeping tournaments rolling in a timely fashion
      1. AutoSkip / AutoBoot used to enforce tournament progress
      2. Tournament admin with ability to update tournament settings or restart tourneys if the initial settings are screwed
      3. Right to quit tournament at any time
      4. Allow host to terminate tournament (with restrictions?)
      5. Allow multiple rounds to play simultaneously

Players should be able to terminate games if they are guaranteed to move to the next round.

ex. 8 players in a game 4 players move on. after the first 4 players are eliminated the remaining 4 players can terminate the game and move on to the next game.

13. #53 / 67
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

KrocK wrote:

Players should be able to terminate games if they are guaranteed to move to the next round.

ex. 8 players in a game 4 players move on. after the first 4 players are eliminated the remaining 4 players can terminate the game and move on to the next game.

Not a bad idea, I did always find it annoying on WF when a game would drag on after everyone that was left was going to move on. 

Of course if there is some sort of Ranking system for Winners and/or Place, then they would have to be completed (which can be a good thing too, that way the object is to Win and not just make it to the next round).

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

Seek Yours Today. Get Uncomfortable.

14. #54 / 67
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I don't think you should be able to terminate, but I do think that the next game should start as soon as all players in the next round are decided.

15. #55 / 67
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

One other point to keep in mind when coding the tournaments -- using the tournament title as a form of advertisement (in any way, but especially websites) should be prohibited, IMO.

I get bombarded by advertising from all sides constantly in these times in which we live, and one of my favorite things about WF and WarGear is that I don't have to deal with irritating advertisements. I can concentrate on playing the game. It should stay that way.

Edited Sat 6th Mar 11:07 [history]

16. #56 / 67
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Could you make an option where if a player surrenders, then when the boot timer comes along, their surrender is accepted by the timer instead of being skipped or booted?

17. #57 / 67
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

I like that idea.

18. #58 / 67
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote: Could you make an option where if a player surrenders, then when the boot timer comes along, their surrender is accepted by the timer instead of being skipped or booted?

There'll be an option to quit the tournament, is that what you mean?

19. #59 / 67
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I think it applies to tournaments well, but in games in general. Especially lightning games. People tend to surrender, then leave, and when it's not accepted they get booted. I'm not sure if booting and surrendering are treated differently, but if they are, the timer should accept surrenders, instead of skipping or booting, if the player has offered to surrender.

20. #60 / 67
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote: I think it applies to tournaments well, but in games in general. Especially lightning games. People tend to surrender, then leave, and when it's not accepted they get booted. I'm not sure if booting and surrendering are treated differently, but if they are, the timer should accept surrenders, instead of skipping or booting, if the player has offered to surrender.

I'd be hesitant of this, as a game could turn greatly if a player Surrenders when he knows he's going to lose the next round which would mean no elimination/card bonus for the other player(s) that have set up to eliminate him and grab his cards.

I'm not a fan of allowing surrenders, and glad they take all other player's votes since it is a game changer.

(Yes the same thing can happen if they go 2 rounds of skips to get booted, but at least that takes an extra round rather than Surrender means player "eliminated" by the system.)

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

Seek Yours Today. Get Uncomfortable.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234   (4 in total)