229 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 26
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote: What is it with sooooo many of the players on this site? Very, very few folks post in-game remarks. This includes teases, compliments, congrats, etc.

Some folks actually seem AFRAID of written communication. We must have a large percentage of nerds and dorks.

Many games actually finish without a single PM. I THINK there are human beings I'm playing against, but sometimes it's good to get some confirmation.

I almost never post in-game, but I will always reply. 

So, to answer you more fully, can you first tell my why someone should want to post?  Is it to be social?  Gain insight to tactics and strategy? Vent?  Hear themselves talk (so to speak)?

I don't care much for encouraging those who want to complain about luck, so that might be one of my motivations to keep quiet.

2. #22 / 26
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

So, to summarize, I will list my reaction to the four reasons why someone might want to post to help explain why I do not often post in-game comments.

1. Player wants to vent - I do not whine about luck and do not encourage others to do so (although I am sympathetic.)

2. Player want to hear themselves talk - I don't do this and I am not interested in encouraging this type of one-sided expression.

3. Player wants to discuss strategy - For those who are confident in their strategy and tactics, discussion will often be useless at best or combative at worst.  I don't need someone telling me why I am an idiot for doing what I did.  There are exceptions to this where two players engage in healthy, useful exchanges - but I usually save this for people I know which is a low percentage of who I play, so I don't often post about strategy.

4. Player wants to be social - this is not my primary goal for playing, but I do like people so this is fine.  But because of the three reasons above I don't usually post enough to get to number 4.

3. #23 / 26
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I guess it falls into your "to be social" category, but I really like it when players post about their commitment to any particular game.  

i.e: "I really wanted that!" or some comment about the competition of it all.  It can be easy to fall into the habit of assuming that you're the only on in the game that cares about the competition, or alternatively maybe all the other player are super comtetive and you could care less. 

So I think this kind of post is good.

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

4. #24 / 26
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Mostly 4 SG

5. #25 / 26
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ok, so then to answer your original question, I do not in-game post much because I am not an overly social player .

6. #26 / 26
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That's ok...gnomes have been known to be a bit surly. {#emotions_dlg.suspicious}

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)