218 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   123456   (6 in total)
  1. #21 / 102
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Sorry M57, I don't understand the question.

2. #22 / 102
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Sorry M57, I don't understand the question.

OK - I'm not savy about these 'hosting' things..

So it will be integrated.. and that means it uses the same host..

but for some reason it requires a different set of user names passwords?  so it's a different site? 

and my question is what's the downside of that vs having it at wargear.net?

or am I still misunderstanding what "integrated" means.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

3. #23 / 102
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

If it's "integrated" that means it *would* use the same names/passwords.  IMO it is best for it to be as integrated as possible into wargear, but that is more work for Tom.  That is the only downside I think.

4. #24 / 102
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yes, but when you say the same names/passwords -- it's a different URL --- different site, right?  So what kind of things don't 'talk' to each other?

5. #25 / 102
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

It would just be wiki.wargear.net instead of www.wargear.net, or Tom could put it at www.wargear.net/wiki  or possibly have both go to the same place.  It doesn't matter too much how you have the URL redirect.

Think of it maybe as owning vs. renting.  If it's "integrated" into wargear, Tom owns it.  He's responsible for installing, backing up, maintaining, etc. everything.  If it's not integrated, he's outsourcing all the maintenance, etc.   But if you own, you can do stuff like decide to take down a wall, or put in an addition.  You can't do that if you are renting.  But, putting on an addition is also a  lot of work.   Sometimes it makes sense to rent, sometimes to own.  It's up to Tom to weigh the costs/benefits and see what makes sense for him.

Sorry, I am probably not doing a very good job of explaining this.

Edited Wed 7th Aug 00:00 [history]

6. #26 / 102
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

For instance, when I'm logged into the Wiki , and I'm looking at the strategy page for a board, would I (potentially) be able to see its playing stats? -- i.e. what kind of cross-functionality is lost?

Edited Wed 7th Aug 06:55 [history]

7. #27 / 102
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm not saying I don't think we should have it, because I do ..and lacking the above cross-functionality wouldn't bother me.  I would just like to have a clear picture of what the limitations might be going in.

Ideally, and I have no idea if this is possible..  Take the example of a board's page..

I'd like for there to be an intro section that is editable only by the the designer of that board (and the wiki moderators), which could perhaps be toggled to 'unlocked' by the designer if wished so the general membership could edit it.

..and I know I've said this before, but ability to put images into the body of the page (an posts) is important, especially in the context of a tutorial, but there are potentially many other uses.

Edited Wed 7th Aug 09:27 [history]

8. #28 / 102
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i tried taking a look at that comparison link posted earlier, but dunno if it narrows it down enough. figured in some off-time i'll try to look at some of them and see if i can glean any info, but in the meantime this looks like it might have some useful info

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

9. #29 / 102
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Is Tom using wordpress?  I have no idea how wargear is setup, what sort of tools/infrastructure it uses or even much about wordpress.

M57 - I think at least initially the wiki will be pretty separate from the rest of the website.  Think of it more like an appendix or something.  I don't think it's going to allow us to have user editable pages on wargear, except in the wiki area.

Now, I guess the board descriptions could redirect to a page on the wiki, so that the wiki is the official repository of board descriptions.  That would be nice because it would allow us to put pictures, and better formatting into the board descriptions, but it would require some sort of transfer from existing board descriptions to wiki pages.  It would also require user-level permissions on wiki pages so that you could edit your board page, but no one else could.  (Or even better , user-level permissions on a page section, but I don't know if that is realistic).  That is starting to get more complicated though, and I don't know how difficult it would be to set up.

> I know I've said this before, but ability to put images into the body of the page (an posts) is important, especially in the context of a tutorial, but there are potentially many other uses.

I think tutorials and other reference material will be a great use of the wiki.  Threads on the forum fall apart for this, because you can't go back and edit them easily, so as things change or understandings improve, you have to add a post at the end, and then someone has to read the whole thread and synthesize it to figure things out.

> when I'm logged into the Wiki , and I'm looking at the strategy page for a board, would I (potentially) be able to see its playing stats?

Maybe... I think depending on demand, Tom might be able to figure out how to embed content from the main site into the wiki, but initially, you'll probably just have a link to the board stats page.

10. #30 / 102
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

not specifically wordpress, but some of the things should be somewhat applicable in general.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

11. #31 / 102
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Now, I guess the board descriptions could redirect to a page on the wiki, so that the wiki is the official repository of board descriptions.  That would be nice because it would allow us to put pictures, and better formatting into the board descriptions, but it would require some sort of transfer from existing board descriptions to wiki pages. 

Not to go too far OT, but I've been having a few conversations with some players RE: Making descriptions/instructions clearer.

Some players enjoy reading and then referring to the detailed instructions with the backstory woven in, while others might prefer a down and dirty primer-like set of instructions, ..and then some, a combination of the two.   The current format makes that unrealistic..  But the thought of a down-and-dirty board page that links to the detailed wiki is pretty tantalizing.

12. #32 / 102
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>Some players enjoy reading and then referring to the detailed instructions with the backstory woven in, while others might prefer a down and dirty primer-like set of instructions, ..and then some, a combination of the two. 

I've been working on this too.  One thing I do is bold the most important primer stuff, so that someone can skim the instructions & pick up the basics.   Also, I am starting to add 'quick start' sections to my descriptions if the board is complicated.  This gives just enough detail to get through the first 3-4 turns, so it's not overwhelming.

13. #33 / 102
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'd say make sure it is integrated, may lack some functionality at first but overall it will be used more often and in the end cleaner and I imagine less work (as opposed to integrating later).  One of the great perks of how WG has always been is that it is integrated within itself.

Oh, and I think ToS was* integrated with its Wiki...{#emotions_dlg.cylon}

* From ToS Wiki: WarfishWiki has a problem

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...
    Edited Wed 7th Aug 21:51 [history]

14. #34 / 102
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

hi all

I looked at a few options and decided upon Dokuwiki which offered the best balance between quick setup time, options and site integration (full comparison with MediaWiki is here: http://www.wikimatrix.org/compare/DokuWiki+MediaWiki)

The new wiki can be found here: http://www.wargear.net/wiki

Everyone should have Read, Edit, Create, Upload access.

It's a soft launch for now till the content is in place (i.e. there's no explicit link to it anywhere. I've set up daily backups of the content in case it needs to be restored.

I'll set up a managers group who will be able to Delete articles - who would like to be in this?

Oh, and clearly it needs some styling - all TBD.

Edited Thu 8th Aug 12:46 [history]

15. #35 / 102
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Cool beans!

Following your link gets me to a "This topic does not exist" page with "If permissions allow, you may create it by clicking on “Create this page”."

I don't see a “Create this page” link, so I am guessing permissions do not allow?

16. #36 / 102
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yep - permissions issue should be fixed.

17. #37 / 102
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Yep, it works, but of course:

This page is currently locked for editing by another user. You have to wait until this user finishes editing or the lock expires.

• Currently locked by: M57

18. #38 / 102
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

How did I lock it?-- I just uploaded a pic to the playground. -- ..and then deleted it

Edited Thu 8th Aug 14:35 [history]

19. #39 / 102
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>I'll set up a managers group who will be able to Delete articles - who would like to be in this?

I wouldn't mind helping out with whatever is needed on the wiki.

20. #40 / 102
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

When I look at recent changes I see:

Writing /home/wargear/public_html/wiki/data/cache/7/7ba9475d67fe18ac6c58975ebeef08ed.i failed
    Unable to save cache file. Hint: disk full; file permissions; safe_mode setting.
    Writing /home/wargear/public_html/wiki/data/cache/7/7ba9475d67fe18ac6c58975ebeef08ed.xhtml failed

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123456   (6 in total)