219 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   123456   (6 in total)
  1. #81 / 102
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I don't think there is any sort of approval system to the wiki, but it is easy to revert changes.  If someone is being abusive, I imagine it will be possible to ban them.

Why not  ..

[[Boards:Circles of Death:Scenario1:]]

[[Boards:Circles of Death:Scenario2:]]

I think this is right, but do we even need that last colon at the end?  I think as long as you have a namespace for your map, you can just put the scenarios, etc. at that level.

Also, IMO, I don't think most maps will need a whole page for these things.  If you can fit everything you want to say about a scenario or tips/strategy into 3-4 paragraphs & an image, just put it on the main page.  Seems like extra hassle to try and break everything down to more pages, and it will be annoying if those sub pages are all short.

I would suggest starting without those pages, and then if your main page is getting cumbersome, create the sub-page, and copy and paste the content into the subpage.

2. #82 / 102
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

I've started a discussion page for organizing the wiki..

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=discussion

I see where you are going with this, but IMO wiki's are not that great for discussion.  Better to have the discussion in a forum, which is designed for that.  Create separate threads  for issues if you want to focus on something & you think this thread is too overflowing.

However, I did find a 'discussion' plugin for dokuwiki, which might make discussions easier on the wiki.  It sounds like it basically allows you to add one threaded discussion to the bottom of any wiki page.

https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:discussion

I think at some point we need to review the various dokuwiki plugins, figure out the best ones for our needs, and make a request to Tom, but first let's get used to the default dokuwiki behavior.

3. #83 / 102
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

@Ozyman - I agree about discussions.. Better perhaps would be checklists and the like.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

4. #84 / 102
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

I'll set up a managers group who will be able to Delete articles - who would like to be in this?

I'd be interested, I have some types of Wiki experience and will try and familiarize myself with this one soon.

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

5. #85 / 102
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    tom wrote:

I'll set up a managers group who will be able to Delete articles - who would like to be in this?

I'd be interested, I have some types of Wiki experience and will try and familiarize myself with this one soon.

I am interested - but it seems like I'm already able to delete just about anything as is -- what's the difference?

6. #86 / 102
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Yertle wrote:
    tom wrote:

I am interested - but it seems like I'm already able to delete just about anything as is -- what's the difference?

my guess: there isnt one set up yet. 

@tom, i'd say all those who've been involved here so far (Ozy, M57, Yertle, Cram, ratsy, Amidon, me, ?)

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Fri 9th Aug 16:34 [history]

7. #87 / 102
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i think this is going to work the best:

*boards page has:
    [[Boards:Circles of Death:Circles of Death]] 

on the specific board page if linking to scenarios:
    [[Boards:Circles of Death:Scenarios:Default]] \\ 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

if use this:   [[Boards:Circles of Death]] 

then, subsequent sub-namepages don't appear on sitemap

if use this: [[Boards:Circles of Death:Default]] 

then, scenarios get at the same level as everything else, and you don't know that they're scenarios of the board

UNLESS we stick a 'scenario--' in front of it:  [[Boards:Circles of Death:Scenario--Default]] 

now, when you look at the site map it stands out, but on the main board page it looks a bit silly.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

8. #88 / 102
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Also, IMO, I don't think most maps will need a whole page for these things.  If you can fit everything you want to say about a scenario or tips/strategy into 3-4 paragraphs & an image, just put it on the main page.  Seems like extra hassle to try and break everything down to more pages, and it will be annoying if those sub pages are all short.

I would suggest starting without those pages, and then if your main page is getting cumbersome, create the sub-page, and copy and paste the content into the subpage.

Agreed, most everything should be able to fit on one page unless you have a seriously complicated board, but i think scenarios should have their own space and not clutter up the main board

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

9. #89 / 102
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yeah - I'm only planning to have multiple/detailed pages for two or three of my boards. The rest will get a couple paragraphs. - if I ever get around to them.

This is getting ahead a little, but I think whenever a board is up for Review - it should have to have a page - even if one of the reviewers throws it up there - then the designer could be asked to write a paragraph or something.

By making it part of the review process, designers learn a) that it's there, and b) how to edit a page, no matter how basically.

Edited Fri 9th Aug 17:30 [history]

10. #90 / 102
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

agreed.

course also i think - with this wiki being in place - we start requiring a map development thread  prior to submitting to review. if we require a couple simple things there then we can alleviate much of the ...stuff... we've had to deal with in review games. and it behooves the designer to get it in early in case things happen that would eventually force them into a rework (better sooner than later - take my alien board for instance being too big for most).

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

11. #91 / 102
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

agreed.

course also i think - with this wiki being in place - we start requiring a map development thread  prior to submitting to review. if we require a couple simple things there then we can alleviate much of the ...stuff... we've had to deal with in review games. and it behooves the designer to get it in early in case things happen that would eventually force them into a rework (better sooner than later - take my alien board for instance being too big for most).

Right - In most cases, and with active participation of review board members, the actual Review should be a rubber stamp.

12. #92 / 102
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

*boards page has:

btw, from reading that namespaces tips link, I think that

is equivalent to (i.e. will go the exact same page as)

[[Boards:Circles of Death:]]

which IMO, looks a bit cleaner, and is what I will be using on my board pages, but I don't think it matters any, if some people do it one way, and others do it the other.

13. #93 / 102
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

yeah, in playing around 

with one exception:

creates a subdirectory under boards in the sitemap which is much cleaner there.

tho i'm not sure why the proving grounds and designer tutorials created a separate link at the top level instead of inside their respective expandable like the boards one does.

oh BTW, i edited those two things to clarify things a bit (as i think workshop/tutorials are step-by-step instructions, so i shortened to tutorials and made a 'proving grounds' section where they actual development thread should go)

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Fri 9th Aug 18:24 [history]

14. #94 / 102
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

UPDATE: seems you need the double name (eg. 'proving grounds:proving grounds') to thread the components in the sitemap. so if we want to clean up the site map we'll need to cluster things a bit better. 
    and i'm done playin for the night, so if you decide you don't like what i did - back-up away! 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

15. #95 / 102
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:
    weathertop wrote:

*boards page has:

btw, from reading that namespaces tips link, I think that

which IMO, looks a bit cleaner, and is what I will be using on my board pages, but I don't think it matters any, if some people do it one way, and others do it the other. 

Consider..

[[Boards:Circles of Death:Tips]]

Obviously this is preferred: Tips is buried - and will not be confused with "Tips" from another board on the site map.

But when you have [[Boards:Circles of Death]] AND [[Boards:Circles of Death:Tips]] in the the site map list, you are going to see the Circles of Death folder that contains Tips, and the page itself.

There wouldnt be any confusion per se; there's only one Circles of Death page, but I would rather that all of the pages for that Board are in one place.

[[Boards:Circles of Death:Tips]]

I suppose it's not a problem as long as there are no other pages associated with the board that would necessitate a parent namespace, but this way all the pages are in the same place and at the same level.

Edited Fri 9th Aug 19:16 [history]

16. #96 / 102
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ok, this is kind of complicated, and the takeaway is that it's simplest to just use [[Boards:BoardName:BoardName]], but since I think I figured out how it all works, I'll explain.

If there is a Boards:BoardName:BoardName page then [[Boards:BoardName:]] (note second colon) brings you to it.   But if the page doesn't already exist it sends you to Boards:BoardName:start instead. 

So if you created the page first, you could use the shorter link, but it hardly seems worth the trouble.

17. #97 / 102
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I've started on a style guide.  What do you think so far?

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki_usage#editing_guidelines

Edited Sat 10th Aug 02:14 [history]

18. #98 / 102
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

good idea

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

19. #99 / 102
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

I've started on a style guide.  What do you think so far?

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki_usage#editing_guidelines

I added the section on protocol/etiquette - Should we be 'signing' significant edits?

20. #100 / 102
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I don't think it's necessary or desired to sign things, since you can look at the page history to figure out who is making the changes.  I think lots of 'signatures' will just make it look cluttered.

I'm wondering about the glossary.  I originally put a couple "originated by" tags for wargear specific terms that were invented by someone in particular,  Maybe "coined by" would have been more clear.  It seems to have turned into people just signing that they added something to the glossary, which IMO is unnecessary.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123456   (6 in total)