223 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 28
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I find this thread offensive! "Turtling" is being strewn as negative and dumb, which is not the case! I'm King, how's that for turtling!

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

2. #22 / 28
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That said, I normally utilize the turtle method when I cannot adequately attack and hold against a super power or multiple powers that are stronger than I am.  I really think it's a valid gameplay and strategy and one that can create a win out of a loss every once in a while when the leader(s) make a bad move or go on an unlucky streak.  I definitely think players throw in the towel way too often and early and I'll play a game until I am 100% sure I'm out (which is normally down to 0 units and territories).  

Few of my Flagged games in which I turtled for the win: 

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/39136

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/191554

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/13717

That said, I do try and not drag a game out if it is completely inevitable, but again, I'll fight and claw for probably a lot longer than the some probably think I should.

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

3. #23 / 28
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

All too true Yertle...but still not wise to begin turtling at end game on a huge map with card sets in the low 30s when one player has 75% of the map and several hundreds of units behind the lines. There is no chance to go on an elimination spree to win the game. The only chance for the game itself to survive was for all remaining players to throw all their offensive output at the leader for several turns and try to beat him back to a manageable level of income (and even this was a longshot). I think the game is over now.

4. #24 / 28
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

You can't win if you're eliminated.

5. #25 / 28
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

It's the same concept that we see in Axis & Allies.  Some people know enough to move their units to the front, some keep theirs back for protecting their assets...we know what happens there.  Now that the game has ended, I can post the link and you can see for yourselves.  Be right back...

6. #26 / 28
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I sent a PM to the player prior to taking my turn on event 4442 asking him why he wasn't attacking black...no response til the public posts that you can see.  The player kept attacking me and green for the remainder of the game til the very end.

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/251195

Edited Mon 6th May 20:43 [history]

7. #27 / 28
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote:

I sent a PM to the player prior to taking my turn on event 4442 asking him why he wasn't attacking black...no response til the public posts that you can see.  The player kept attacking me and green for the remainder of the game til the very end.

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/251195

Just a quick glance at the history, but that doesn't look completely accurate or tell the whole story.  He also didn't have too much of a choice there for a while, not to mention there is a bit of Fog which could lean towards giving someone a bit of grace.

8. #28 / 28
    Standard Member RECON
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I usually try to convince by private message all the other players that our situation is dire and defeat inevitable if WE don't all attack now.  I also tell them exactly what I intend to do and do it.  Then on rare occasion everyone attacks and we all get back into the game BUT mostly what happens is some attack some don't and we all get crushed by the elephant in the room.  To some degree I think those that don't attack are less aggressive naturally, doubt it will work and so observe to then see if they should join in later.  Or maybe they are playing the odds that they will be better off eating leftovers to then attack later----but in the situation you describe this should obviously be a failure tactic.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)