208 Open Daily games
5 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 10
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I am working on my first board and would like some feedback. I think this is the link:

http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/4387

Thanks!

2. #2 / 10
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Looks good to me on first glance.  Want to invite me to a game? 

Only problem I see so far, is that I also have a board called "Knight's Tour". :P  But I guess I should have gotten it finished & published if I cared about getting first dibs on the name.

Here is mine btw:

http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/1429

Edited Wed 26th Dec 22:34 [history]

3. #3 / 10
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Cool -- dueling boardnames.. A few years ago, I toyed with a knight move game as well. I found it too hard to come up with something that had what I considered a "relevant" starting position and decent game play.

Hey, there's a name - it's only just a bit tacky but I still like it.. Knight Moves

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

4. #4 / 10
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'll use Knight Moves when I finally get my board done if no one else has taken it first.  I was also thinking 'Knights Charge' or something like that.

Edited Wed 26th Dec 23:15 [history]

5. #5 / 10
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I would be glad to license "Knight's Tour" to you for a nominal per game fee. I have a patent on all board names based on chess puzzles ... with rounded corners.

6. #6 / 10
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Korrun - Board looks nice.  If you need another Beta tester, let me know and I'll gladly take a stab at it with M/Ozy.

Ozy - I just gave you a standing ovation for your cards on your Knights board.  The Wild card may be the best card design I've seen on this site.

7. #7 / 10
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I believe the one on Warfish was (is) called "Hard Day's Knight."

I really like the detail of the pieces when filled; they look quite good.  A couple of suggestions on the graphics:

• It looks like your fill area is the entire square because it "bleeds" through around the edges.  I would make the surrounding square 100% opaque and have only the area of the piece the fill.
    • Speaking of the board squares, any reason you've gone with  muted gray instead of black squares?  I'm thinking a 100% black would be too stark a contrast, but 75% would look good.
    • Also, with color choices, why red?  Wouldn't a white player look better?
    • The pawns seem a little small in relation to the rest of the pieces, and/or the non-pawn pieces seem too large in relation to your average chess board.
    • I'm not really sure how good it would look in reality, but in my head it would be pretty cool to center the bases in relation to the board squares and then allow the tops of the pieces to visually overlap the adjacent square.  This would give a much greater sense of a third-dimesion since this is obviously not from a birds-eye perspective.
    • I continuation of the previous idea: if you want to get really fancy, you could taper the board toward the top (back), and then make the upper pieces smaller in relation to their distance from the front.

Okay, that's all I've got for now.  I won't speculate on gameplay until I can see a game happen on it.

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

8. #8 / 10
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Ok, the use of the fill with the outline of the pieces is fantastic!  I agree with Toaster about the darkening of squares but I don't think full black is the right choice, but something darker would take away from the brightness of the map which I think it needs.  Full black would take away from the black outlining and really, I can't stress how impressed I am with that.
    Chess maps are a tough cookie to crack and I am really quite excited about this try.  Next to a decent Tetris map I've always found Chess to be my White Whale.   Please invite me to a test game!

I don't know whether to scratch my watch or wind my butt

9. #9 / 10
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I made a new version of the graphics under the scenario "new graphics". What do you think?

I think I liked the old one better besides the small pawns. But I didn't do it with enough layers, so I don't think it is fixable.

Toaster:

• I am not sure what you mean by it "bleeding" through the edges.
    • I made them darker.
    • I made it red because I was having a hard time getting the white to contrast with the neutral color enough to make me happy.
    • Fixed the pawn size.
    • Didn't like that with the current board graphic.
    • An isometric view would be cool, but I don't think I can figure that out in a reasonable amount of time (I am new to the whole image editing process)

10. #10 / 10
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thanks for all of the interest! I will invite more people as I open up slots on my list (I'll have to cough up the money for the premium membership if I can ever afford it).

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)