194 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 13
    Premium Member Cona Chris
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Could we have elimination tournaments for 16 players for a 2-player game?  Right now the minimum size was 32 (5 rounds for 2-player games).  We can have a 16-person Swiss System for 2-player games currently - but I like to have elimination more often than Swiss so just thought I would toss it out.

It's difficult to get more than 16 players for a 2-player game tournament, it may help to have more tournaments and on different boards.

2. #2 / 13
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

+1

I did not realize elimination tournaments for16 players don't exist. No reason for that. SS is not fine IMO and RR creates too many games (15 for each player).

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth

3. #3 / 13
    Premium Member Cona Chris
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Cona Chris wrote:

It's difficult to get more than 16 players for a 2-player game tournament, it may help to have more tournaments and on different boards.

I meant to say, difficult for any board to get 16 players for a 2-player game tournament besides one of the classic RISK boards available on this site.

4. #4 / 13
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Toto wrote:

+1

I did not realize elimination tournaments for16 players don't exist. No reason for that. SS is not fine IMO and RR creates too many games (15 for each player).

The rationale behind this is that it's too easy to win a 16 player elimination tournament. You only have to win 4 games to get a trophy.

5. #5 / 13
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    Toto wrote:

+1

The rationale behind this is that it's too easy to win a 16 player elimination tournament. You only have to win 4 games to get a trophy.

Sorry Tom but I don't agree with you. It's already the case with SS tournaments so why should there be a difference between them ?

At least, with an elimination tournament, you will always have a clear winner. Indeed, you need to win 4 games to get the trophy while in SS you could win the tourney with 3 games won only.  

If your idea is to make trophies harder to get, which I agree with, SS should be changed. But this would go against Cona Chris 's idea...

Edited Mon 18th Jun 05:47 [history]

6. #6 / 13
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The size of the trophy could correspond to the size of the tournament.  I'm pretty sure this has been suggested before.

< 16 = 325x325

< 64 = 350x350

< 128 = 375x375

129 < n = 400x400

They should be proportionately rendered on the player's trophy shelf.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Mon 18th Jun 08:26 [history]

7. #7 / 13
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Mad Bomber wrote:

toto.....your playing more than one player per round....i do not believe there is a 2 player swiss?....could be wrong

http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/235

http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/199

... ;)

Edited Mon 18th Jun 13:16 [history]

8. #8 / 13
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

OK I've made that change.

9. #9 / 13
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Tom, you've made it so that there are 16 games in the first round - for a minimum of 32 players.

I think what we're asking for is an slim tournament with only 16 players.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.

10. #10 / 13
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Concur with M57's rendering point and with allowance of 16-player elim field.

11. #11 / 13
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I'm not sure, I think that's too small for a tournament.

12. #12 / 13
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

I don't think small is the issue. The winner has to win four games.  There are other tournament formats here that require the winner to win four games (in some cases, only three), and RR tourneys can have as few as eight participants ..an even smaller field.

The only thing that's "small" is there are less games because people don't have to continue playing once they're out of the running.

Edited Thu 20th Sep 06:51 [history]

13. #13 / 13
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    tom wrote:

I don't think small is the issue. The winner has to win four games.  There are other tournament formats here that require the winner to win four games (in some cases, only three), and RR tourneys can have as few as eight participants ..an even smaller field.

The only thing that's "small" is there are less games because people don't have to continue playing once they're out of the running.

I agree with Tom.

I also agree with you M about SS, but I think the problem is in fact that SS tourneys allow you to get a trophy with only 3 victories. IMO, this is what should be changed, not the elimination tournaments.

I don't see any problem with RR 8 player tournaments as you usually will need 5 or 6 victories out of the 7 games to get the trophy. Although I never saw it happen, I guess it is theoretically possible to get a vctory with less than that if victories are very well spread.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)