203 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 14
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Just of out curiosity, how many folks truly read the Board Descriptions?

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

2. #2 / 14
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Depends. So many maps have unique rules that reading through it quickly once is almost a necessity. For standard fare, nope.

In your Face!

3. #3 / 14
    Premium Member Cona Chris
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I always read them when I play a board for the first time.

4. #4 / 14
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

1. Sometimes I think I understand a board.
    2. Then I get in trouble.
    3. Then I read the description.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

5. #5 / 14
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Always read the board descriptions.  Always.

6. #6 / 14
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote:

Always read the board descriptions.  Always.

+1 

Ad Extremum Omnia Sunt Limosus

7. #7 / 14
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I always at least skim the board description, and usually refer back to it if the map is complicated.

8. #8 / 14
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Here's a follow-up question: Do folks normally look to the board description to understand game mechanics/rules or something else?

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

9. #9 / 14
    Premium Member Cona Chris
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:

Here's a follow-up question: Do folks normally look to the board description to understand game mechanics/rules or something else?

Yes, I go to the Board Description first to get a sense of what the game is all about.  Then I use the Board Explorer to play around with what attacks/fortifies what and what the bonuses are along with reading whatever text is on the map.

But, I usually need to play it to fully "get it", especially these days with all the "outside the box" type maps (which I love) that are coming out.

10. #10 / 14
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I like it when i can, as quickly as possible, learn how to play the board so that i don't feel like i'm about to be crushed. i think some "story" or whatever, but i should easily be able to bypass it to the mechanics if i want. In "the Lorax" there's a lot of story, but just by reading the red letters you can learn how to play, so i like that alright.   

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

11. #11 / 14
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I always read it, and do so to understand game mechanics/rules, and often refer to it. Any key difference from the standard rules should be there, and usually is. Unfortunately, a lot of players don't seem to read it, or at least don't get what they're reading, so the clearer, the better.

A couple of problems with descriptions I've noticed recently -- scenarios not explained, and customized setup not explained (first player gets 3 to place, 2nd and 3rd get 4, 4th gets 5, etc.). This stuff is often not easily discoverable through the board explorer, either.

12. #12 / 14
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I don't always read them because most maps are ordinary and I'm sick of reading "Pretty standard map".  I always try to add some flair to my descriptions to make them interesting reading.  Also, most of my maps have some sort of story.  If you haven't read the description on Rent is Due Again I think you are missing out... I find it pretty fun!

Join the Cult of RiskyBack...it's fun and the Kool Aid is YUMMY!

13. #13 / 14
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I feel that back-stories are a nice and entertaining touch - as Jigler suggested, as long as its easy to by-pass them if you want and get right to the mechanics of things.  I enjoy reading a clever or interesting backstory, and I do my best include them with my boards.

Also, I agree with Risky.. Up until recently, you could pretty easily tell if a map was self-explanitory ..or needed an owners manual, but as the designer tools get more and more sophisticated, more often than not, things are not what they seem.  Though my maps are looking more more and more simple, it's almost impossible to understand how they work without someone explaining it to you, or by reading the description.  Anarchy and New Earth (a map soon to be released), look like regular maps, and there's nothing on these maps that suggest play is different than play on a standard map.  Their "twist" on the norm is not that complicated,  (what makes them unique can practically be explained in one sentence) ..but I've got to believe they'd be hard to figure out without a little help.

It's getting to the point the description page is almost not enough.  In fact, I wonder that designers should be able to put graphics in the description.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Fri 24th Feb 19:24 [history]

14. #14 / 14
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

It's getting to the point the description page is almost not enough.  In fact, I wonder that designers should be able to put graphics in the description.

What I am going to start doing with most of my maps is make a post in the general forum & a post in the strategy & tactics forum about the board and then link to those threads in the beginning of the description of my maps.

Since you can post images in the forums this should be a decent workaround.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)