216 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 11
    Standard Member kloponarock
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I do not know if it is possible to set up, but what do people think about a random tournament?  It would be random in that each round would be a different map, or even each individual game would be randomly chosen given the tournament parameters (number of players, etc.).  If it is possible to set up I think it would be a lot of fun, and you would have to play well on a lot of maps in order to win.

Just a thought.

2. #2 / 11
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

kloponarock wrote:

I do not know if it is possible to set up, but what do people think about a random tournament?  It would be random in that each round would be a different map, or even each individual game would be randomly chosen given the tournament parameters (number of players, etc.).  If it is possible to set up I think it would be a lot of fun, and you would have to play well on a lot of maps in order to win.

Just a thought.

+1!

Although I think it would be more practical (and more people would join) if the map selection was a random choice from a pre-defined grouping of maps and/or genre of maps.

For example, the tournament would be setup with "Simulgear Maps" and include Bomb Factory, Micro Mission Simulgear, Brawl!, etc. and so each game would be a random generation of one of that subset.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

3. #3 / 11
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

P.S. This thread should probably be moved to the "Suggestions" forum

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

4. #4 / 11
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

They would all have to be maps playable by the same number of players, I would think. Otherwise it would mess up the brackets.

5. #5 / 11
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

In that event, it would seem like 6 players is a good #.

6. #6 / 11
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think this is a really fun idea.  I have a couple of suggestions:

• The unit of selection should be scenarios, not boards.
    • The host should be able to pick which specific scenarios they want to use, and then players see a list when they join.
    • Ideally this should be doable for individual games, not just tournaments.

My first thought for this suggestion was my Random Mazes map.  http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Random+Mazes Right now I have have 5 scenarios for each map size, so you could start a random tournament of 12x12 maps, choose those 5 scenarios, and get a random 12x12 map each time.  If Tom sets up something like this, I'll probably go ahead and double the # of scenarios for that map to give even more random selections.

Edited Thu 23rd Jun 22:32 [history]

7. #7 / 11
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I like both ideas (collection of map, a map with a collection of its scenarios), both Five and Seven are good candidates for the later.  A world map tour with 4-6 players would also be fun for the former or for the puzzle solvers: Five, Seven, and Octagons, or maybe small boards, etc.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

8. #8 / 11
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Just to be clear, I think you should be able to pick scenarios from multiple boards (or the same board).  I think it's actually pretty obvious that the host would need to pick specific scenarios instead of just boards, but wanted to make it explicit.  Playing a random seven tournament would be a lot of fun.  Or a 'deterministic' tournament of all the boards where you only roll 1s, etc.

9. #9 / 11
    Standard Member kloponarock
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I am glad other people are into this.  I like the idea of the host having a choice of maps.  They could just pick 20 or so maps to choose from, and then the computer randomly dishes those out to the individual games or rounds (that could be another setting as well, whether the maps/scenarios are random by round or game).

10. #10 / 11
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

not to detract, but wasn't this brought up already when tourneys were just starting up?

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

11. #11 / 11
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote:

In that event, it would seem like 6 players is a good #.

Yep the number of players has to be the same on every map otherwise the tournament draw logic becomes a nightmare.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)