210 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 10
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm curious of how Board Designer's will use the Starting Bonus of the Colors tab.

There's already been some discussion (really me just thinking it's not working right and making work for tom) here: http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1315/Board_Designer_Colors_Tab

So what should the Starting Bonus information do?  Currently it can be set to Default, 0-100.  Default being whatever is set on the Board/according to territory distribution (ie bonuses) and 0-100 overriding anything (including bonuses) that would be given at start. 

My question is should the Starting Bonus override the Default or be in addition (or possibly subtraction) to the Default?  And/or have the option of being Override or Addition?

An Override example would be Toaster's AnA where 0 should be the Override or Risky's Episode 1 (WF version) where Player 1 started with a certain amount and Player 2 started with a certain amount not dependent upon Bonuses.

An Addition example would be if you want to give later players a few extra troops for going later, but don't want to give over/under a good amount of troops.

So...discuss!

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

2. #2 / 10
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I think Override.  If you wanted it in addition wouldn't you just have the units start in the scenario or something and if you wanted random placement you wouldn't know who would get bonuses to begin with so trying to get it to be how you want would be impossible.

(that last bit doesn't make sense to me either but I know what I am trying to say and that's all I really care about)

Where's asm????

3. #3 / 10
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

If you wanted it in addition wouldn't you just have the units start in the scenario or something and if you wanted random placement you wouldn't know who would get bonuses to begin with so trying to get it to be how you want would be impossible.

My thinking of Addition would be my Micro Mission board where I was thinking about giving Seats 4/5 an extra 2/3 units but not making it "set" to 5/6 but rather if they did luck out or choose and start with a bonus then they actually get that bonus as well.

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

Edited Thu 13th Jan 12:30 [history]

4. #4 / 10
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Speaking of starting bonuses... in this game, http://www.wargear.net/games/view/42923, we're still getting the starting bonus only on turn 2!

5. #5 / 10
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yep, I just noticed that this morning too, it's on the Support forum thread (I assume tom is looking into it).

6. #6 / 10
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Is that the same problem I am having here?

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/44666

I got 20 units to place and Dr Horrible (who is a prick) only got 10.  I've been through the rules and setup and I can't figure out what the frak is going on with it.  There may be a simple explanation but Risky doesn't do simple.

Where's asm????

7. #7 / 10
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That seems wacky, what are you trying to do?  Why not just set the Setup to 20 units instead of 10?

The combination of 0 Starting Bonus and Initial Unit Count Minimum is getting all mixed up in my head {#emotions_dlg.nervous}

8. #8 / 10
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

All I want is that the first turn every player starts with 20 units.  Usually I would do this by giving 10 units to start and place and 10 units in the starting location.  Is there another way to do it now?  I'm really confused about what you and tom have been talking about.

Where's asm????

9. #9 / 10
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I think you can do this by setting the Rule: "Initial units count by player or territory" to Territory (mainly just because Player confuses me :p) and keeping the setup on the Design>Setup tab.  Then on the Colors tab set Starting Bonus to 10 for each player.

I think what you currently have should really result in everyone starting with 10 according to the Design>Setup tab then getting 0 for Round 1, dunno how/why you have the 20/10.

Edited Thu 13th Jan 16:05 [history]

10. #10 / 10
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

The starting bonus being repeated problem should have been fixed last night - if it wasn't please let me know!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)