223 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   123456789»»»   (26 in total)
  1. #81 / 506
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

What when there will be 999 units on all the territories ?

More seriously, I find there should be a way to shorten game. They can go on forever when 3 or more players share a board with similar forces. They all know that attacking means loosing.

May be an idea is to increase card value much quicker. For example 4,6,8 ... 100, 125, 150 ... 500, 600, 700 ... I don't know if that would work.

Another idea would be to allow to terminate the game if all agree on that. I believe it's not possible to do it now because when there are eliminated players, their points would be lost. I mean a termination of the game should be done with a sharing of eliminated/booted players points. More difficult to do in tournaments.

Some other ideas ?

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth

2. #82 / 506
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Toto wrote:

Another idea would be to allow to terminate the game if all agree on that. I believe it's not possible to do it now because when there are eliminated players, their points would be lost.

If all remaining players Vote to Terminate then the game is terminated and no points from anyone change.

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

3. #83 / 506
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    Yertle wrote:
    M57 wrote:

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/45362

It's my turn and I have 5 units to place but my only options seem to be to attack or fortify.  I'm unable to place my units.

My hypothesis is that you hit Attack prior to placement (or hit Attack instead of Apply) and thus your 5 units are in Reserve (Unlimited setting on that board), with Return to Placement Off then those are "stuck" in Reserve until next round.

Really I think prior to an actual Attack or Fortify I would think players could have access to the Placement tab, although it seems like this discussion has been brought up before (I'm actually not sure which side of the fence I was on either, but I thought tom was going to open up Placement like this so perhaps there was a reason it wasn't opened).

You can switch back and forth between Place and Attack so I'm not sure how this has happened - it has happened to other people in the past though so it's not an isolated case. I'll see if I can work out what happened.

In the meantime I've fixed up your game M57.

Revised hypothesis: tom is correct you can switch back and forth UNLESS you hit Apply on the Place phase (whether you place a unit or not), so then my guess you did hit Apply {#emotions_dlg.razz}.

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

4. #84 / 506
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    tom wrote:
    The Rope wrote:

does having over 1000 units on one spot bug all maps, or just the europe 1560 map?  I have ~1030 on Brunswick in this game http://www.wargear.net/games/player/29054 and the number says 103 now.  It looks like the last number is cut off.  When I attacked off of it, I could transfer 1000+ units so they are there, they just aren't showing.

Wow, 1000+ units. Yes that will result in some clipping. I'll see what I can do about that.

Although having said that... maybe there should be a hard limit of 999 units per territory. Any views on that?

999 is probably a good indication of a stalemate and probably not a bad hard limit (would an attack of 999 vs 999 bring down the site?!?), although I'm not sure why there should be a limit either...and will there be a day where there is a gameplay of winning by getting 1,000 troops in a territory?!?! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

5. #85 / 506
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:ame M57.

Revised hypothesis: tom is correct you can switch back and forth UNLESS you hit Apply on the Place phase (whether you place a unit or not), so then my guess you did hit Apply {#emotions_dlg.razz}.

It's entirely possible that I did this, although I certainly don't recall doing so.   Perhaps a little pop-up message/reminder could appear reminding players that they haven't allocated all of their armies, especially in games where reserves are allowed.  On  the other hand I can understand the argument against this (the reminder is technically unnecessary). 

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

6. #86 / 506
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Yertle wrote:ame M57.

It's entirely possible that I did this, although I certainly don't recall doing so.   Perhaps a little pop-up message/reminder could appear reminding players that they haven't allocated all of their armies, especially in games where reserves are allowed.  On  the other hand I can understand the argument against this (the reminder is technically unnecessary). 

I think this is the same case in which you should probably be allowed to return to Place if you have not actually made an Attack or Fortify yet.

7. #87 / 506
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Team private messages aren't sending Email notifications.

8. #88 / 506
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    I think this is the same case in which you should probably be allowed to return to Place if you have not actually made an Attack or Fortify yet.

Yes I guess so.

9. #89 / 506
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I don't see a problem with the 999 unit cap.  It will force action from the player who reaches that unit count first, but IMO if you haven't achieved an advantage by that time you probably never will.  

As long as everybody's aware of the cap it will be fine for 99% of the games.

10. #90 / 506
    Standard Member The Rope
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    tom wrote:
    tom wrote:
    The Rope wrote:

does having over 1000 units on one spot bug all maps, or just the europe 1560 map?  I have ~1030 on Brunswick in this game http://www.wargear.net/games/player/29054 and the number says 103 now.  It looks like the last number is cut off.  When I attacked off of it, I could transfer 1000+ units so they are there, they just aren't showing.

Wow, 1000+ units. Yes that will result in some clipping. I'll see what I can do about that.

Although having said that... maybe there should be a hard limit of 999 units per territory. Any views on that?

999 is probably a good indication of a stalemate and probably not a bad hard limit (would an attack of 999 vs 999 bring down the site?!?), although I'm not sure why there should be a limit either...and will there be a day where there is a gameplay of winning by getting 1,000 troops in a territory?!?! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I kind of dragged them into this inanity and then got bored, so getting 1000 units was a side game I was playing against myself.  I won!  It sucks to have to put limitations like this in the game, but 999 is a large enough number that it will very rarely be an issue.  I wouldn't be against 999 as a max if the 4th digit is going to cause problems like this as long as it is in the rules.  As far as I can see, it will only really screw people up if they want to make a map that purposefully has giant unit counts, but that problem could be solved by just not making maps that have giant unit counts...  On a side note, the fact that the unit build up can outstrip the card escalation is a downside to the larger bonuses on the wargear version of this board

11. #91 / 506
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Having a problem with an un-joinable team in this tournament: http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/220

Booyarr said, "tried to join but can't join the 2 open seats on Team "War? Really?"
    "There are no spare seats left in that team""

12. #92 / 506
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Has been fixed up thanks.

13. #93 / 506
    Standard Member The Rope
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/45636

On this game that just started, the first player didn't get any units to place.  my turn has come, and  I also didn't get any units to place.

14. #94 / 506
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Sorry this was as a result of a patch to fix another bug - has now been resolved.

15. #95 / 506
    Standard Member The Rope
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

thanks, you are the best :)

16. #96 / 506
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Something is up with the starting setup - I've removed it from your game lists.

Since this related to Day at the Races, was this caused on my end or was this a bug with game initiation?  I am just curious as I have started a game with each of the scenarios and they worked okay in the past.
    game:  http://www.wargear.net/games/view/44207

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

17. #97 / 506
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

You have successfully joined the game. The game has now started and it is now 's turn. Click here to view the game board.

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/45528

I guess this is a problem on my side.  How do I fix this?

18. #98 / 506
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

When looking at the leader board screen in tournaments there is a column that labeled "Games" with links to "view".  In non-team tournaments when clicking on the link pulls up all of that players games in the tourney so far (which is cool), but in team tournaments it pulls up all games, not just the ones for the team.  I am guessing it should just pull up that team's games.

19. #99 / 506
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:

You have successfully joined the game. The game has now started and it is now 's turn. Click here to view the game board.

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/45528

I guess this is a problem on my side.  How do I fix this?

Hopefully I have this fixed now?  The setup is now set to random.

Just out of curiosity, why is this a problem now?  When I released the board, it had three scenarios, all with the same rules, setup based randomly allocate unallocated territories, medium neutral.  This scenario had an empty setup so should just be random.  When I tested this all of the scenarios started fine (this was many moons ago and there could have been a change awhile ago as this scenario is not played very often).  I guess what I really want is a (site-wide), in case the setup is bad, default random setup (something like all territories randomly allocated with 3 units).  I think it is better for games to start not as they were intended to, then for games to not start at all.

20. #100 / 506
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:
    tom wrote:

Something is up with the starting setup - I've removed it from your game lists.

Since this related to Day at the Races, was this caused on my end or was this a bug with game initiation?  I am just curious as I have started a game with each of the scenarios and they worked okay in the past.
    game:  http://www.wargear.net/games/view/44207

Something happened during game initiation - I retested the scenario also and it worked fine so I think this was fixed. In theory it should detect a broken scenario and prevent the game from starting but it looks like some broken setups are slipping through the checks.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123456789»»»   (26 in total)