222 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 26
    Standard Member renjason
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

If you're tired of dealing with people posting offensive messages in the message section at the bottom of a game... where can you report them? (or... how can you block chat if you do not have a membership?)

example http://www.wargear.net/games/player/40797

2. #2 / 26
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Here is good, tom will probably be able to take a look at it.

There is also a Censor Swear word preference located in the General Preferences section of your Settings page ( http://www.wargear.net/settings/preferences ) that you can set.  Unfortunately it only does an okay job, meaning they have to spell the words right to get [censored].

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

3. #3 / 26
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Hmm it seems fairly tame to be honest... there is currently no way of disabling the view of chat messages, I guess there should be one I'll add an option for this.

4. #4 / 26
    Standard Member renjason
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

5. #5 / 26
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

csecu is just one of those players that uses that type of language:

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/43954

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/43959

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/54903

Reminds me a bit of a player called "Toast" on ToS.  I'm not personally offended by this language but I think like tom said it would make sense to  have an option to block all chat messages or block chat messages from specific players. 

~ATH

P.S. It could just be a tactic used to get inside your head.

6. #6 / 26
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I'm on renjason's side here, he asked this player to stop but he didn't. He just increased the profanity, that's pretty offensive to me.

Grace and Peace to you from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Chirst
    Edited Wed 4th May 21:01 [history]

7. #7 / 26
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I think an option to block or hide chats in specific games would be a good solution here, since it allows players to shut out an offensive conversation and continue the game in peace without that affecting anyone else.

8. #8 / 26
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:

I think an option to block or hide chats in specific games would be a good solution here, since it allows players to shut out an offensive conversation and continue the game in peace without that affecting anyone else.

There is the option to hide all chat via Settings>Preferences, but I don't think that's on a game-by-game basis.

Probably would be good to be able to "Block" specific people, may even be good to see when someone has someone else as "Blocked".

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

He has risen!

9. #9 / 26
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

How about when you set someone as an enemy then their chat is blocked (for you).  Instead you see a standard chat box with a message like "This player's message was blocked because you listed them as an enemy".  Then, if a player really wanted to see it, they could go and "unenemy" them. 

10. #10 / 26
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'd like the option to specifically block chats by game by person.  That way, I can choose to block the chat messages only if they're offensive.  I wouldn't like to have a game blocked and then miss a public chat message where my enemy or anybody else allies with another player.

11. #11 / 26
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I don't think that chat in those games is over the line in terms of offensiveness but I do appreciate that different people have different standards as to what they think is acceptable (or want to see when playing a friendly game).

Do you think enemy chat should be ignored (invisible) by default?

I am wondering whether in game chat needs a separate 'ignore this player' button which is per game only / specific to game chat only. This could be available to regular players too.

Edited Thu 5th May 17:48 [history]

12. #12 / 26
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

I am wondering whether in game chat needs a separate 'ignore this player' button which is per game only / specific to game chat only. This could be available to regular players too.

I like this idea.  If it is toggle-able with some kind of visible icon for differentiation, then perhaps it could be permanent for all games after being first invoked.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

13. #13 / 26
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

I don't think that chat in those games is over the line in terms of offensiveness but I do appreciate that different people have different standards as to what they think is acceptable (or want to see when playing a friendly game).

Do you think enemy chat should be ignored (invisible) by default?

This is a great option but should not be default, even for enemies.

14. #14 / 26
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    tom wrote:

I like this idea.  If it is toggle-able with some kind of visible icon for differentiation, then perhaps it could be permanent for all games after being first invoked.

Agree.

15. #15 / 26
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I'm new to this thread but I think we can all be very insulting without the use of profanity.  This is an adult site, but I think there is a difference between "My neighbour is an asshole" and "Green, you're an asshole."

If we banned people for critisizing and belittling other players I'd be the first to go (and a number of people would probably be happy about it).  I like to call what I spam in chat "observations" but because people generally don't always "observe" and comment on play as much as I do (in an admittedly biased way) over time my name plastered all over chat can become rather toxic over time.

That said - I see no difficulties in insulting players without the use of profanity.  Because profanity has a tendency to escalate and will offend many players depending on it's use, I would rather have a general damper on directing profanity towards other players, and be more lenient if it's simply conversational regarding outside life.

I believe it will promote a more healthy and more enjoyable gaming experience if we do so.

Edited Fri 3rd Jun 12:27 [history]

16. #16 / 26
    Standard Member AdamN
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Andernut wrote:

I'm new to this thread but I think we can all be very insulting without the use of profanity.  This is an adult site, but I think there is a difference between "My neighbour is an asshole" and "Green, you're an asshole."

If we banned people for critisizing and belittling other players I'd be the first to go (and a number of people would probably be happy about it).  I like to call what I spam in chat "observations" but because people generally don't always "observe" and comment on play as much as I do (in an admittedly biased way) over time my name plastered all over chat can become rather toxic over time.

That said - I see no difficulties in insulting players without the use of profanity.  Because profanity has a tendency to escalate and will offend many players depending on it's use, I would rather have a general damper on directing profanity towards other players, and be more lenient if it's simply conversational regarding outside life.

I believe it will promote a more healthy and more enjoyable gaming experience if we do so.

Although I don't totally disagree with you... I think that Tom would describe this as a family friendly site but I could be wrong. An occasional swear is understandable but can you imagine if a Gimli rant was directed at my 13 year old son with or without profanity.... I would hope he would stop the minute his "What are you 13?" question was answered affirmatively but if he wouldn't I would want Tom to have a little talk with him. That said my son is more into Minecraft and he's 3. 

There are at least a handful of middle school kids who play on this site with their own accounts that I personally introduced to WG so there are certainly kids who play public games.

17. #17 / 26
    Standard Member Gimli
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Whoa, to be fair I don't start rants randomly. Wurzel called for a ceasefire, and re-started his original slurring ways again by starting games with the insulting names. So I never did anything out of the blue. It is Kant's moral maxim, which is otherwise known as the Golden Rule- once he started namecalling, assuming the worst in person with no evidence, and broke his word, he forfeited the right to be treated with respect. So pointed out all his lies, gave the evidence, and also shared my view of his personality. His first comment on my profile was to call me a "tosser" and he had the nerve to whine to Tom when I called him a "wanker". they are EXACTLY the same meaning!

So I wouldn't care what his age was- if he acts towards me in a certain way, I will act the same way back. I think i just get the credit here cuz I am more creative at it! :)-

18. #18 / 26
    Standard Member wurzel133
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Gimli wrote:

Whoa, to be fair I don't start rants randomly. Wurzel called for a ceasefire, and re-started his original slurring ways again by starting games with the insulting names. So I never did anything out of the blue. It is Kant's moral maxim, which is otherwise known as the Golden Rule- once he started namecalling, assuming the worst in person with no evidence, and broke his word, he forfeited the right to be treated with respect. So pointed out all his lies, gave the evidence, and also shared my view of his personality. His first comment on my profile was to call me a "tosser" and he had the nerve to whine to Tom when I called him a "wanker". they are EXACTLY the same meaning!

So I wouldn't care what his age was- if he acts towards me in a certain way, I will act the same way back. I think i just get the credit here cuz I am more creative at it! :)-

how pathetic you cant give up after all this time come on gimli get a life move on

the really offensive stuff from you was on the private chat but enough about that as that option is now gone

but i see this isnt the only thread you are bad mouthing me in

Edited Sat 9th Jul 13:15 [history]

19. #19 / 26
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Get a room!

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

20. #20 / 26
    Standard Member Gimli
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

lol, nice!

coming from the one who calls for a ceasefire then starts it up again, I once again find your comments amusing at best. and i don't know if pointing out the things you said and did is really badmouthing. I didn't even get into my rationales and speculations here, it was a relevant history to this thread, and that was not my fault. Hope that makes sense to you.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)